singleshot and antique rifles

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by snkirsch, Oct 10, 2005.

1. snkirsch

snkirsch Deceased

My collection is mainly marlins and old stevens singleshot rifles(no favorites except my daughters model 1915) does anybody else shoot their old rifles. My marlin 1893's 30-30 and 25-36 are some of the most accurate rifles I own. I also have shot clay pigeons with my 1878 colt, but those steel butt plates even with low base kick too much to shoot very long. I reload for the older rifles and since I mainly just target shoot I use light loads. The rifles were checked by a gunsmith before I shot them. My antique cf rifles run from 32-20 to 45-70, the 38-55 is another favorite caliber. Just wondering what others do with their old rifles. shoot or store?

2. mec

mec Infidel

Although not antiques, I inherited a half dozen Winchester Bicentennials when my grandfather passed. They are all unfired in the original boxes. Looking around on the net, they appear to be worth less than what they sold for new, if that is confirmed, some will be fired

3. micah

micah loves you all.

Hi Kirsch..got any Bicycle guns? Those are always cool. They look great hanging on the wall too.

4. snkirsch

snkirsch Deceased

Are you talking about boys rifles or the stevens tip-up pistol with stock? I have both. A few years ago I bought 9 tip-up pistols from a guy in Indiana in the bunch was one tip-up with 3 1/2 in barrel that was slotted for a stock. I had a stock made for it, it was really cute but I traded it and another tip-up pistol for an 1893 marlin in 25-36.

Right now I have one 10in barrel and one with 12in barrel and the stocks with them. These are the new model pocket rifle the 12in has a spur trigger and the 10 in the normal trigger. On ebay a couple of years ago I found an original case for the bicycle rifle.

About a month ago I picked up on a gould, I think the flat spring was broken soon after it was bought because the patina is flawless and the wood looks old but has no dents or scratches. A friend of mine will make a new spring then I will shoot it.

Another guy I know has about 150 tip-up pistols and at least 300 boys rifles from him I saw an original stevens kick-up pistol, a 1/2
    x 1in piece of wood was missing from the grips.

I bought my nephews and great nephews all boys rifles from the turn of century, mainly favorites, hamiltons, crackshot and marksman. Nothing too expensive but something they can start a collection with. Even though some of the early favorites are worth a few dollers. I love the old singleshots, one of my favorite is a favorite in 32shot. A friend of mine bought me some shells for it from franchi? My grandson woke up so I better take care of him..

5. micah

micah loves you all.

The tip-ups with the wire stock. I had a handful of them for some time, also a few early Favorites. They are certainly interesting guns.

6. snkirsch

snkirsch Deceased

The favorites are interesting I think there are 4 or 5 different ejectors; wide, thin, side, 5 oh clock, and middle ejectors. Side plate or not.

The one tip-up with the 3 1/2 barrel was an old model pocket pistol you could buy the 3 1/2 in barrel as an extra barrel so it could be used as a rifle with 8in or 10 in barrel and wire stock, or as a pistol with the 3 1/2.

7. BigJon

BigJon

snkirsch - It's sorta a last-ditch effort, but I have an old .22 rifle I believe to be a Stevens, but for the life of me, I can't identify the model number. Is there a chance on earth that you can help? The entire write-up is on another forum at the following web page, where you can read about it. Please note the unusual bolt!

http://www.armslocker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34010

I tried to attach photos here, but it wouldn't work. I'm afraid one has to log on to the armslocker site to see the photos. If too much trouble, I'll understand.

Kindest regards,
    Jon

8. snkirsch

snkirsch Deceased

Big Jon, Thanks for the new forum, Most of my rifles sre lever action, I looked at Grants Boys Singleshot and I was not able to find the Premier, I have other books to go through. I am not sure if it is a stevens, this coming weekend I hope to see my gunsmith he is a walking enclopedia when it comes to early boys rifles. If I can not find something in the books before, I will ask him.

9. BigJon

BigJon

snkirsch, I don't know how to thank you. I have really looked hard, but I'll tell you, I just can't find this sucker anywhere! Were you able to access the photos?

Kindest regards,
    Jon