close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Single stage press reloading rate

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Billy_Ray, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Billy_Ray

Billy_Ray

I wanted to share my recent reloading results.

While I am hoping to get a progressive press, I had some pretty good throughput with my single stage press. I did not rush and I was not going for time, but I was curious how many rounds per hour I was producing, here are the results:

Sizing and depriming: 33 minutes (plus 3 minutes for clean up) for 300 cases
    Hand priming: 42 minutes for 200 cases (inspected each one for high primer)
    Expanding: 17 minutes for 200 cases
    Miscellaneous setup for charging and bullet seating: 6 minutes for 160 cases
    Powder charging: 30 minutes for 160 cases (I weighed every 10 charges)
    Bullet seating and crimping: 41 minutes for 160 cases (I checked very many rounds for OAL and barrel fit)

Which works out to .89625 minutes per round or 1.116 rounds per minute, which is 66.95 rounds per hour.

While this is not nearly as fast as a progressive, I was reasonably pleased based on how much I currently shoot.

Billy Ray

2. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Would you shoot more rounds per practice session if you were loading more ammo?

3. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Good job! I reloaded on a single stage press for some time before transitioning to progressive. Which one do you have? If you have a Lee, you could buy the Lee Auto Disk and combine charging and expanding into 1 operation. It will save you a little time and you could use the auto disk when you move over to a progressive.

Just a thought.

4. Billy_Ray

Billy_Ray

I might shoot a little more, but probably not much more.

I am loading on a RCBS Rock Chucker, so no go on the autodisk.

Billy Ray

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Sounds like you have a system that works for you.... The Autodisk will work fine on a Rockchucker, if its something you wanted to look into.

IGF

6. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Then it works well for your purposes!

The Rock Chucker is a really good press. Even though I load my pistol rounds on progressive loaders, I still have a single stage press on my bench for prepping rounds (undersizing) and for loading rifle rounds.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  7. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

Thats pretty good !

I use to size 800-1000 cases in one evening on the Chucker then bell and prime the next.
    Then the brass was bagged up and marked ready to load, "wife used to help" :upeyes:
    Then when I wanted to load I filled loading blocks with brass and dropped the powder right from the Uniflow, checked the level in them and seated the bullets. When the brass was already prepped it didn't take much time to load, so when I had spare time I processed and bagged up brass.
    I enjoy it, when I started I didn't even know anyone with a progressive.

Bob

8. PBKing

PBKing

Good Job!

Hand priming....are you using the press or other? 42 min / 200 you might be able to get that down a bit. But it is more important that you are confident in your process rather than production rate.
    Outstanding!

9. dudel

dudel

Whatever works for you. When I used a single stage as my main press, I managed to get all the ammo I needed loaded. Key is to build up a stockpile. Pulling a box of 100 is quicker than loading it no matter what press you use.

A case kicker (made by RCBS) for the RockChucker really speeds things up. You place the brass into the shell holder; but the case kicker pops it out into the catch bin as the ram lowers. Less handling of the brass. With the case kicker, I can process twice as many rounds in the same time. Don't use it when dumping powder though! With the Lee Autoprime hand tool I could prime 100 cases in less than 10 minutes. It's much quicker than using the primer seater on the RockChucker. Using a powder dump that flares the cases, speeds things up as well. The Dillon flares and dumps effectively doing two steps at once. A die that seats and crimps does the same (although I tend to seat and crimp in two operations).

On the single stage, I did things in batches. Size the batch. Next night I might prime the batch, then leave them in bags for when I got back to it. I use Hornady trays. While priming the batch of brass, I'd place them primer side up in the tray. While they were sitting there, it was easy to feel the batch of them for high primers. I use and like the Lee Auto Prime. Once you get a feel for the pressure involved, it's hard to leave a primer high. I flared and dumped powder on the RockChucker with a Dillon powder dump. Each case, with powder went back to the loading block. After all powder was dumped, it was easy to scan the blocks for consistent powder levels. When all were good, projectiles were place on each case. Dillon dump came off and seater/crimper went on. All rounds were seated and returned to the blocks. Then they would get a pass through crimper (and depending on the round the LFCCD).

Then they went into MTM style cases. Process was easy to interrupt and restart. Worked well for almost 20 years. Not to say the 550b is bad; it's quite nice, but it's not essential for making lots of good ammo.

10. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

where is the guy that can get 120 in an hour with a hand press

11. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

Get the Hornady LNL bushing for the Rock Chucker. Make it a snap when going from one die too the next.
    I believe RCBS does not make the case Kicker anymore.

12. XDRoX

XDRoX

I load about 50 rounds per hour on my SS. A little more if I rush it, but I'm usually drunk when I reload so I like to take my time:whistling:

JK

13. den888

den888

Thanks for the analysis. I used to load on a Dillion RL-450B and once I got everything set-up, I could load 200-250 rounds an hour, if I really moved. So, your rate is pretty good.

14. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Billy Ray, I like a man who has got a thing or two worked plumb out !

My hat is off to ya Hoss. I have used 'nothing' but a RCBS rock chucker for over 40+ years, and as fast as I have gotten, and as long as I have done it, and as many cajillion rounds as I've loaded, and being as careful as I am. I get about 100 rounds per hour some times less. I don't know how long you been at it, but I'd say stick with it man your doing great ! It ain't quanity it is quality. I load when I got free time, and stay with it, and when I have all I want, I go shoot. Even if that is 100 44mags for the day, or 200 10mm's or 45acp's. Then do 'er again later that week.

Progressive would be nice for the throwin them out fast and with huge numbers at that. But I cannot warm up to it after all these years for some reason.

Again. Your doing great man!

Good shooting

CanyonMan

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

or the guy doing 500 and hour on a Lee Turret.. :)

IGF

16. fredj338

fredj338

My best for a single stage doing 45acp was 70rds/hour. That was starting w/ clean brass, size/deprime, bell, prime off press, charge w/ Duo0measure, seat & crimp. That is about as fast as I can go w/ 3-die changes. Rifles would go a bit faster, one less die change. Progressive for me & most handgun ammo.

17. bambikilr

bambikilr

never really timed my single, but thinking about it i would say that starting with once fired, about 50 rounds maybe 2 hours, but that's measuring every round on a scale...as far as just something to shoot, with my Lee Prog. 1000, that is almost 30 years old, 227 rounds of .357 in an hour

18. dudel

dudel

They sell the replacement parts, and you can find them at gun shows. Got mne at one, BNIB. Worth looking for one if you have a RockChucker.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  19. johnjohn

johnjohn

This should be relaxing not an endurance event.

20. bush pilot

bush pilot

Obama hired him to balance the books.