Single stacks suck?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by walkinguf61, Sep 25, 2020.

1. PzGren

PzGren

I have a P365 and ONE is really enough for me. I have several Swiss SIG P210s and am looking forward to the next one, I also am looking forward to receiving a 9mm FEG Firebird, the civilian version of the Tokagypt. So, yes. I would and will buy single stacks again.

ShipWreck likes this.
  2. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

I can't believe that I own a 9mm at all, but the last 3 years has found them multiplying in the safe like antifa rabbits in a cool dark place. 1911's, sure, single stack of course, but then I bought a 2011. Most of my 9mm's are double stack and (Minus the G 43), but if I need a smaller carry gun, its gonna be 45 something or another. So, no. I don't see myself buying anymore single stack 9mm's.

3. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

I think we have to attend the same 12 step Program meetings-lol That’s how my single stack collection began. The only think that stopped it was the extra time, paperwork that it takes to buy a gun here after I retired. I used to be able to just walk in, buy it, and fill out an additional form- almost like a person in a free state.

fasteddie565 likes this.
  4. J-Doo

J-Doo

They aren’t obsolete to me, I’ve got 1911’s, Glock 43, Shield .45 and a Sig P225A1

5. ThatGuyYouKnow

ThatGuyYouKnow

index.jpg

(I saw this on Brandon Herrera's channel, thought it was kinda funny, but no hate to the 1911 guys. One day I will have one!)

Timeless, ShipWreck and Will Beararms like this.
  6. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

I’m 56. I started shooting at age 7. That’s 49 years for those of you from the inner city of Chicago.

I was hunting at age 7 and I was a hunting guide for 7 years. During these 49 years, I have been involved in two negligent discharges. One occurred while taking a new hunter Duck Hunting in the flooded timber of AR. He almost blew the top of my head off and I felt the heat of the shot charge go past my head as it made me temporarily deaf. The other happened when I was cleaning a new Smith and Wesson M&P9. I chambered a shell and after about 20 years of my trigger finger sensing the Glock Dingus, none was there and I foolishly fired around off into the wall of my second story home office. Thank God no one was hurt. I will not own a striker fired handgun that does not have the trigger dingus as a result of my foolish actions.

The point is this. If there is a heightened and unnecessary chance you will shoot yourself or someone else, don’t take it. Carrying appendix is foolish to begin with and insane with a chambered striker fired pistol. Wait until you shoot your wall or have some hunter fire a shotgun inches from your head. Once you have a similar experience, you will start to take measures to ensure it never happens again.

As far as single stack versus double stack, choose what works best for you and ignore the advice of a YouTube Quarterback. I have a Walther PPS M2 that is a wonderful Handgun and fits its intended purpose quite well. Aside from this, handguns are hard to come by these days. Get what you can get then learn the manual of arms for it, take care of it and enjoy it.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Deputydave likes this.
  7. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

I had the option last year and chose a single stack. Different strokes for different folks. I made me happy and he can buy what he wants.

Will Beararms likes this.
  8. MD357

MD357

Nope. No point in it. I don't think Single Stacks "suck" but I get that they are a step down in today's world. I still can't sell my Kahr PM9 though. :D

9. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

The Kahr PM9 is still an excellent gun. It’s one of the few single stack guns that is smaller and lighter than the Sig 365. It’s still very competitive as a result.

10. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

And a spare pm9 mag in a DeSantis magpacker doesn't make a huge bulge in your left pocket.

11. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I will keep my 1911's... and sig 220's i will stake my life and my familys life I can shoot faster and more accurately with my single stack single actions. And yes 2 of my five sig 220's are single action. My 10mm 1911's are my primary carry.. although at times a les baer TRP or ed brown executive carry ride in my holster. I have been shooting them 40 plus years..
    I dont hate double stack or polymer. Each car has a glock 19 with half a dozen 33 round mags loaded in the trunk bag.

12. Kennydale

Kennydale

I like both the Vloggers on TFB. Personal preference for me is a G17 or G19. I can possibly see myself owning a P365 or G43X, BUT! before I jump on that SS9mm bandwagon, I'd rather have a G19/5, G17/5, G45, or a G17/19 MOS.

13. MD357

MD357

No it doesn't but why bother with it? Given the platforms today it makes the gun moot.

14. MD357

MD357

It is, but for me, given today's world, I carry more capacity now. Too many circumstances of multiple attackers.

15. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Over the years I've seen a fair amount of AD/ND and I agree with you. I think it is fair to say that a typical striker-fired pistol with the typical striker-fired pistol light trigger is less safe than one with a MS or a hammer-fired pistol. Not knocking striker-fired pistol but simply stating common knowledge. The good advice of 'keep your damn finger off the trigger' is sound, but that simply isn't the cause of many/most AD/ND when it comes to striker-fired pistols. It's a foreign object getting inside the trigger guard and causing the trigger to depress, usually during the process of going back in the holster. Certainly not keeping the finger off the trigger is a realistic cause for ND, but then it would be with other types of firearms. So in terms of objects causing the trigger to unintentionally depress, a MS and/or hammer-fired pistol will either prevent the issue (when properly engaged) or alert the user (via the hammer moving rearward if holstering with the thumb over the back of the slide and on the hammer).

I no longer carry a striker-fired pistol if it doesn't have a MS. I own that type of pistol i.e. Glock, but the are in a role (HD) where they aren't carried. So going in and out of a holster isn't going to be an issue generally. My striker-fired P365 has a MS and I've trained for decades in using a pistol with a MS. The rest of my pistols are HK so are hammer-fired with a DA/SA trigger and safety/de-cocker which is my preferred type of pistol.

As a side note, I'd love a hammer-fired pistol about the size/weight of the P365 with the capacity options of the P365.

16. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

In regards to the OP title, no, single-stacks don't suck. There are quite a few solid choices in this genre of pistol. But they simply don't provide the options that the P365/HC offer in terms of capacity. While many feel fine with a 6+1 G43 or a 7+1 LC9s/Shield, and they are good offerings within the genre, my opinion is why settle for 7 rounds when you could have 11+ in a package that is the same or even slightly smaller? Personal choice, personal preference.

Having said that, first and foremost is to have a firearm to begin with that is reliable and works fir the user. Better to have that 7+1 LC9s that you forget you're wearing than that high capacity double-stack that you tend to not have on because it's not comfortable and/or a PITA to carry. Of course if you can carry a DS comfortable then problem solved.

My recommendation for anyone carrying a single-stack is to carry a spare mag which I think is always good advice.

ThatGuyYouKnow likes this.
  17. Sharkey

Sharkey

I think it is kinda dumb for him to say not to buy a single stack. Not every hand is the same size. I love my Kahr single stacks and have 4 of them. That is like saying people should only buy Glocks.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

ThatGuyYouKnow and Deputydave like this.
  18. Goldstar225

Goldstar225 NRA Life member

I'm a single stack user by default. After spending years and lots of money buying, trying , and discarding double stacks in search of "the one" I had to admit that my hand size limits me to a single stack. I'm good with that, my Shield and G-48 fit my hands and I shoot them well.

19. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Nice. Going to a family picnic today, going to be carrying a Sig 239, either .40 or 9mm.

20. serger

serger

What type of Screw Driver is best?
    Same stupid click bait argument.

Rounds on target Boys and Girls,
    rounds on target. Snap in like
    you're life's on the line. It might be.