Single stacks suck?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by walkinguf61, Sep 25, 2020.

1. collim1

collim1

I carried my P239 all day yesterday. Guess I never got the memo.

NewWaveGuy and kahrcarrier like this.
  2. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Nope.
    I find many single stacks fit my hand better than double stacks. Though I like the Hi - Power and CZ75. Other double stacks feel like bricks.
    Also, when you are limited to 10 rounds, single stack may be the way to go.
    And if in .45, the double stack guns can be a bit plump through the grips.

Cambo, kahrcarrier and AGF0526 like this.

3. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

Single stacks usually fit my hands better than doubles. 1911s come to mind. I'm not sure where the Shield falls. Stack-and-a-half? It fits my hand as though made specifically for me. I haven't loved the feel of the P365 in my hand, but I could get used to one. I were starting over, it would still be a contender.

4. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

I like METAL framed single stacks... Although - usually their size is not much smaller than a double stack. The 1911 is awesome, though.

I have owned several POLYMER single stacks. Not really a fan...

I have a Shield now - it's "okay."

I had to sell a Glock 48 earlier this year - because the combo of the Glock grip angle and the single stack made my wrist hurt anytime I shot or even held the gun. Doublestack Glocks don't do this. And, the Shield does not either.

I previously had that DA/SA Springfield XDe. On that gun and the Shield, I have to work harder to shoot them accurately... Double stacks are much easier to shoot IMHO. And, I have small hands too.

5. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Never been a single-stack guy, but I get why folks like them. I started carrying Glocks in the early-2000s so I pretty much got used to a 19/23/32...and I have larger hands so the few single-stacks I’ve tried (43 in particular) never grew on me.

6. Para-bellum

Para-bellum

I know right? Also the cz p10s is built like a tank as well. It’s also similar to a Glock so you don’t have to worry about a million little pieces breaking.

I stopped carrying a shield 2.0 for a p365 btw. It’s just a better gun imo. Not that the 2.0 is bad. It runs perfect, so has my sig

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Johnix likes this.
  7. gunowner1

gunowner1

I will leave the house today with my Shield 45 and two spare mags with confidence. Eight in the gun with sixteen backup rounds should do it. Armed conflict is not on my list of things to do today.

serger, Intolerant and Spats McGee like this.
  8. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6 Fullclip's Life Matters! FLM!!

Do single stacks suck? no

Are there better options? Yes, depending on your situation. With the P365 and Hellcat, pocket-sized 9mm is available with more capacity than the pocket 380s. And if you want a slim, lightweight, 43ish sized hip carry gun, there is the 43X which can have a capacity of 15+1 with the Shield Arms mag and mag release.

Would I buy another single stack 9mm? As of now, I don't see a situation where I would need one. But I look forward to the next big innovation.

9. Gnocchi

Gnocchi

single stack is great for warm weather, but honestly I like a compact or even full size for colder seasons. If I could get away with that more often I would.

kahrcarrier likes this.
  10. Pluto57

Pluto57

It is just a silly premise. Simply having more rounds doesn't make a gun better than a gun with fewer rounds. The single stacks hold plenty of rounds. I love my P365, but I'd love it even if it only held six or seven rounds. My previous EDC was a .45 that held 5+1. I went to the P365 because I wanted something more compact, not because I wanted more rounds.

fastbolt and kcuv like this.
  11. PeterG

PeterG

Now you tell me after I bought my second Shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spats McGee likes this.
  12. kcuv

kcuv

single stack AIWB Is the most comfortable in my opinion.

My communist leader says I can't carry more than 7rd in my blaster...

so, I carry G43 w/ 1 in chamber and 6 in OEM mag, and 7 more in an ETS mag that sits flush - if you cant kill em with 7 rounds, you have another prob..now x2 and have more party favors id the poop hits the fan. They're aluminum +P rounds too so its so light weight I can barely tell anything is pointing at my junk

NMG26 likes this.
  13. Peak Fudd

Peak Fudd Amateur geezer

There’s more to handgunning than utility and large magazines. It’s important to appreciate the elegance of single stack designs. Are you listening, Beretta? How about a reboot of the 92 compact Type M?

14. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Yep. About 10 seconds of discussion on single-stack vs. double-stack micro pistols and the rest of the video on why he likes AIWB.

15. Timeless

Timeless

Still like my P938 better than the P365 mainly due to a better safety.

If I had to do it over again I'll give it a maybe...if the P365 had as good a safety it would be a no brainer for me.

NMG26 likes this.
  16. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

The spray n pray mentality is strong in today’s youth. I thought that we knocked that silly notion out of the shooting scenes but I guess not.

17. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

Single stacks DO suck. So do double stacks for that matter.

That's why I now rely on belt fed for my EDC CCW needs.

Of course I had to get tents converted into suit jackets, but if you're REALLY serious...

capnjim01 and kahrcarrier like this.
  18. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

When I carry a single stack, it's a ppk, SIG P series 239 in 357 SIG or a Kimber 45cal.

kahrcarrier likes this.
  19. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

:cow:

Intolerant likes this.
  20. fastbolt

fastbolt

My first pistols were a Ruger Standard .22 and a Colt Commander. After carrying an issued early 3rd gen S&W and seeing how a few hundred of them ran on our range, and becoming a S&W (metal) pistol armorer, I started collecting, carrying and using single stack 3rd gen's. I own and still use them in 9, .40 & .45, as well as more 1911's and even an early production Ruger KP90DC (stainless slide/decock only .45).

I still kick myself for not having ordered a 3906 from the factory (under the old armorer purchase program) before they were discontinued. Handier fit in the hand than the 59XX series guns I carried for work.

Sure, I also own/use some double stacks in metal and plastic in all 3 major calibers, but I still favor the single stacks much of the time.

Now, since the day of the metal pistol is in full declined, and S&W declared their 3rd gen line obsolete several years ago (as well as SIG discontinuing their excellent, but chunky, P239/245 series), if I were starting over again?

Well, I'd end up going in another direction. I'd likely own a Shield in at least 9 & .40, and probably the .45, as well. Might even add a G43 and/or a G48 ... and perhaps a G36.

And, of course, a quality built 1911 (or 5 ;) ).

kahrcarrier likes this.