Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to take the plunge on a single six. Really dig the clean look and snag-free handling of the fixed sight model. But am I going to shoot as well without sights? Do you have to lower that tall front sight to get it to shoot point-of-aim?

I am leaning toward the 5.5" combo in blue.

·
Registered
15,007 Posts
Get adj. sights. The gun can shoot so many different types of ammo that you might want to change things up a bit. I had a Super Single Six in SS that was a cool little gun. I foolishly traded it off years ago.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have a Super Single Six, an unmolested 3-screw as old as I am and it is more accurate than my fancy Browning UCX 7.25". The adjustable sights are a must!

I have very few guns that I won't part with for a generous offer of cash.. but that one is a keeper.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
You'll have sights. They'll just be fixed. You'll have to use "Kentucky windage" for anything but shooting at a known range. Which is the very same thing you'd do with adjustable sights. You'd sight the gun in at "X" and use Kentucky windage for anything else.

All four of my single action 22's have fixed sights. I've never regreted it. (Technically one of them has a windage adjustable rear sight, but I've never touched it.)

·
...2 of 'em
1,280 Posts
I have the unmolested 3 screw adj. sights as well- from 1969. Love it. Black pearl grips, and just sexy as hell. I say if you are dead set on the fixed then do it, but I like the potential of the adjustable sights- even if I never touch them. Just one of those better to "have and not want than want and not have" kind a things.

Personal preference like everything else. Good luck! Whatever you choose, we will welcome you to the Single Six crowd!

***Cajun- I LOVE that scout!

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
if its not a 100 % cherry condition gun,

if it doesnt hit to your point of aim,

you can file down the front sight if it needs to go that direction,

then touch with cold blue

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I've got one and just love it.

I got the adjustable sights because I knew it was gonna be a shooter and I wanted to be able to "tune it in". The Ruger 22s have great accuracy and I wanted to be able to take full advantage of that.

Besdes I've already got an old model Vaquero for "purties".

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
I've got two fixed sight models just because, and several adjustable sight models. But the adjustable sight models are the way to go, if you shoot different bullet weights at longer ranges.

All of mine are old models with three clicks and no transfer bar. If you run across one of these, be sure you only carry it with five rounds loaded. Keep an empty under the hammer, unless you want to be known as 'Chester.' (Yes I know Ruger will 'fix' them free, but even if Bill Ruger were still alive to do the work, I wouldn't get them 'fixed.")

Load it by going to half cock, loading one, skipping one, loading four more, then pull the hammer to full cock and let it all the way down on the empty chamber, while pointing it in a safe direction. Then visually double check that the hammer is down on an empty, to be sure you didn't screw up the sequence.

·
Banned
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I understand that the two screw models are all XR-3 Red grips. That is too bad for me since I would like it to handle like my Anniversary SBH, with the old XR-3 grips. Are the new black plastic grips on the Single Six pretty thin? I don't care for the fat wood XR-3 Red's at all.

I think Bill Ruger must have changed the grips to suit his fat gnarled booger-hooks as he and his buddies aged. Us young bucks with our pretty little girl-hands can still appreciate the Colt-style grips.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I got the SS 5.5 new model about 2 months ago & love it. My friend bought the exact same gun with a 6.5 in barrel at the gun show last weekend. We were at the range today just plinking away. You still can shoot all day without going to the poorhouse. Single Six goodness:cool:

·
Banned
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow! This thing could replace my Mark II 22/45 as my favorite shooter. The best thing is that it will digest the crappiest ammo without a fuss. Every bit as accurate as the auto, it positively mashes the rim flat, lighting rounds that would squib in the auto.

I haven't tried any magnums yet. Is it worth the extra expense from a 6 1/2 barrel?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.