close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Simply the best pecan pie you'll ever eat

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by SouthernGal, Nov 9, 2004.

1. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

As stated in another thread, I'll be out of town attending a wedding on Thanksgiving. This is my one prize winning recipe and I'm going to share it with you for free. It's simply the best pecan pie you'll ever eat. No joke, I've had people scrape the pan on this one.

1 stick BUTTER (no substitutes--do not use margarine!!!)
    1 cup light karo syrup
    1 cup sugar
    3 large eggs, beaten
    1/2 teaspoon lemon juice OR whiskey
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    dash of salt
    1 cup chopped pecans
    9 5/8 deep dish pie crusts (must be 9 5/8 or it will run over)

Brown butter in saucepan until brown (DO NOT BURN). Let cool. In separate bowl, add ingredients in order listed. Stir well. Blend in cooled browned butter. Stir well. Pour into pie shell and bake first at 425 degrees for 10 minutes and then at 325 until done.

Notes--
    At 325 in my oven, which is electric, it took an hour and 15 minutes.

You may use salted or unsalted butter. If you use unsalted you can control the salt taste a little better. I've used both in the past.

I usually use whiskey rather than lemon juice and I'm pretty liberal about that teaspoon. So is my mom.

2. General Sherman

General Sherman

WRONG.

Should have specified GEORGIA pecans.

see:
    www.sunnylandfarms.com

Even WalterGA would agree on that.

;f

3. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Home > Recipes

Pie Crust Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2003
    Show: Good Eats
    Episode: I Pie

Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Medium
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Inactive Prep Time: 1 hour
    Cook Time: 25 minutes
    Yield: 1 (9-inch) piecrust

3 ounces (6 tablespoons) butter, chilled
    1 ounce (2 tablespoons) lard, chilled
    6 ounces (approximately 1 cup) all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling dough
    1/2 teaspoon table salt
    1/4 cup ice water, in spritz bottle
    Approximately 32 ounces of dried beans, for blind baking

Place butter and lard in freezer for 15 minutes. When ready to use, remove and cut both into small pieces.
    In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour and salt by pulsing 3 to 4 times. Add butter and pulse 5 to 6 times until texture looks mealy. Add lard and pulse another 3 to 4 times. Remove lid of food processor and spritz surface of mixture thoroughly with water. Replace lid and pulse 5 times. Add more water and pulse again until mixture holds together when squeezed. Place mixture in large zip-top bag, squeeze together until it forms a ball, and then press into a rounded disk and refrigerate for 30 minutes roll out place in pan use with above pie.

(I use whole pecan halves which I place on bottom of pie shell. They rise to the top during baking.)

4. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Thanks SG!

I love good pecan pie even tho, since I've been battling a fat belly my whole life,
    I've only allowed myself to "dig in" a few times in my 45 years...
    I added your recipe to my recipe file in WORD...

;c

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

YUM! That sounds good ;f

6. thaclient

thaclient aequitas

Thanks for sharing! I've never actually attempted any sort of pie. I think I'm going to try this one for the family at Thanksgiving... I'll report back. ;f

7. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

You will probably want to take a large, flat pan and put on the shelf below the one where you're cooking the pie. The pie tends to "spurt" when you're cooking it and can make a sticky and smoky mess of your oven.

No joke folks, I've got plenty of recipes but this is one of the only ones I've won contests with. Usually people will take a bite and will realize that something is different about this pie. It isn't the ingredients that are different, it's the way it is cooked.

8. pluvo

pluvo Experiment G26

Mine is almost identical to SouthernGal's:

1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust
    1 stick sweet butter
    1 cup light corn syrup
    1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
    3 eggs, slightly beaten
    1 tsp bourbon or dark rum
    1 tsp vanilla
    ¼ tsp salt
    1 heaping cup pecan halves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Prepare pie crust according to package.

Brown butter in saucepan until brown, being careful not to burn it, and let cool.

In large bowl, combine melted butter, corn syrup, sugar, eggs, bourbon, vanilla and salt and mix well.

Pour filling into prepared pie crust and layer pecan halves over top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until center is set. A toothpick inserted will come out clean when pie is done.

If the edge of the crust appears to be getting too brown, cover just the edges with foil for remaining baking time.

I have found that light karo syrup makes a much better pie than dark. That being said, when I lived in Baton Rouge I had really good luck with Steen's cane syrup. I also use dark brown sugar instead of white. You can substitute dark rum for bourbon, however that might get you shot in the Deep South. ;f

Try replacing the pecans with macadamia nuts for a less traditional but equally yummy pie. Macadamias make good pralines too. ^c