close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Simple dinner recipes for us single young guys

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by pagluy, Sep 24, 2004.

1. pagluy

pagluy axed

So how about em? Got anything that's easy to cook & good for you too? I want to start making my own dinner ;e

2. Guest

Find a chick that cooks! ;f

Scott

3. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Short of some exotic stuff you might find on Iron Chef, just about everything is easy to cook. What have you tried so far that you are having problems with? Have you looked into a simple cookbook to guide you through your first steps?

I think the most important thing you have to do is swear off "shortcuts" like canned broth and other such filth. You will quickly discover that you can prepare things ahead for future use, and that it is surprisingly easy AND can be healthy if you do it right.

Perhaps people could recommend their favorite first cookbooks?

4. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

5. Ripper_1394

Ripper_1394 Need a Ride?

1. Take some boneless chicken and cut it up into 1.5 by 1 inch pieces or so.
    2. Place into a zip-lock bag and pour in a bottle of Italian salad dressing.
    3. Let it marinade for at least 30 minutes.
    4. Bread each piece with Italian seasoned bread crumbs and place in a baking dish.
    5. Bake at 350° for 25 or 30 minutes.

Goes good with mashed potatoes or white rice and a vegetable of your choice.

Note*
    You may use whatever you want for the marinade as well as the bread crumbs.

6. General Sherman

General Sherman

Well let us try:

1. Fried hamburgers or grilled hamburgers (easy)
    with
    2. "Baked" potato. Wash medium potato (I like red ones) and pierce with fork to let out steam and prevent from exploding. Microwave for about 5 mins and see if soft. If not, microwave 1 min more at a time till soft. Serve your way with butter, salt, sour cream.
    or
    2a. Yellow rice. Buy small bag of Mahatma saffron Yellow rice and boil according to directions on bag -exactly. Makes two or three servings and can freeze leftovers. For variety add some black beans from can to finished rice and chop in some peppers.
    and
    3. Broccoli. Wash, cut into serving size pieces and place in pyrex dish with teaspoon water and pat of butter. Throw away thick stem. Cover with plastic wrap (Reynolds works best) and microwave for 2 & 1/2 mins on high. Remove, uncover run cold water over it to cool and keep green color. Salt and spash on lime juice to taste.

Alternative to learn and use:

Cook pasta according to bag directions (boil in large pot) and add left over hamburger (cooked) and canned red pasta sauce. Add canned or fried mushrooms. Always a good standby. Try unusual shapes of pasta for variety and to impress guests.

Red wine with red meats and red tomato sauces.
    White wine with chicken and fish.
    Champagne before and after everything.

7. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

You should get a bbq grill and a bbq cookbook. Check the used bookstores for cookbooks. Make sure that the bbq grill is the type that uses charcoal briquets. If it ain't smoked, it ain't bbq!

I also recommend that you get a crockpot and a cookbook for the crockpot. Again, check the used bookstores for cookbooks. You can get a stew started in the morning before work and it will be ready when you get home.

I then recommend that you get a cast iron skillet. You will need to season it. Never wash it, you will lose the seasoning. To clean, you will want to boil water in it and then scrape out the food. Then wipe on some oil and put it back on the burner to get hot. When it dries a bit, turn off the burner and let it cool down. That is all there is to it.

Frying foods is really easy. Bacon, eggs, & hasbrowns are easy on the cast iron skillet. BTW, a properly seasoned cast iron skillet is a non-stick surface.

8. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

A party is a great time to fire up the bbq grill. Tell everyone to bring a steak or whatever they want to put on the grill.

Everyone eats well and it don't cost much at all.

9. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

open can of sardines. Place the can on saddle horn take saltine place sardine on it.

continue til you run out of crackers or sardines.

10. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

One of my favorite "single guy" meals was An eye of round steak cooked in the broiler.

A box of mixed vegetables and a small salad.

11. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

3. Broccoli. Wash, cut into serving size pieces and place in pyrex dish with teaspoon water and pat of butter. Throw away thick stem. Cover with plastic wrap (Reynolds works best) and microwave for 2 & 1/2 mins on high. Remove, uncover run cold water over it to cool and keep green color. Salt and spash on lime juice to taste.

You don't throw away the stem..
    You peel it and slice it,cook with the rest.

Plastic should not be used to cover food in the microwave
    it will release stuff from the plastic into the food--not good for you.

Cover it with a plate instead.

12. S2nd

S2nd One happy cat

The easiest things for me when I was a struggling student were: steak, stews, and pasta. Like hwyhobo said, the bulk of the work is in preparation.

Steak (usually inexpensive top sirloin bought in bulk) - Heat pan. Throw steak on. Pepper/Salt. Flip. Eat.

Stew - Pan fry diced beef and onions. Add tomato sauce, water, ingredients, and seasoning (salt and pepper for me). Leave on low fire with lid on for 3+ hours, stirring twice at least. Eat.

Pasta - Boil noodles just until sticky. Pan fry ground meat and onions in separate pan, add sauce, wait for re-boil. Drain pasta, mix with sauce. Eat.

Rice is an easy bread group item that goes well with most things (besides more bread). Throw rice in pot, add correct amount of water, press button. I usually mix brown rice with white long-grain.

Since I have a bit more time these days, I do a lot of stir-frying. It takes more prep-work to marinade the meat and cut the vegetables, but I think the fresh vegetables are better for me than boiling frozen peas in a pot of water.

13. akapennypincher

akapennypincher Glock-O-Holic

Your answer deserves a prize :)

14. pagluy

pagluy axed

Thanks folks, any other cook book recomendations?

My girlfriend is @ college which leaves me sad & alone & hungry :p

15. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

the first one should be the Joy of Cooking.

It is a good reference book for cooking.

On almost any kind of food there is an "about section" with good information on that topic.

16. 357glocker

357glocker

I like buying the bulk chicken, which is always cheap. Put it in an oven dish, smear some bbq sauce on it, put a little butter in the pan, cover with foil and bake at 350 until the juices run clear (usually 25-40mins). Make some instant mashed potatoes or minute rice, and a can of veggies and you have dinner for the evening and lunch for the next day!
    Steaks on the grill is a good meal, and neat to experiment with different spices.

17. Phil306

Phil306

That is why god invented fast food places, bbq stands, and take out chinese food.

Thin The Herd

18. Truckin' Joe

Truckin' Joe Member

Heres a simple Soy Sauce Chicken Recipe...Lots better than Teryaki Chicken...

6-8 Skinless,boneless chicken thighs

mix 1/2 cup of soy sauce and a 1/2 cup water,add a teaspoon of sugar to this...

put mixture in large bowl,soak chicken for 30-60 minutes...

Preheat oven to 350 degrees,place mixture and chicken in 9x13 pan,put a little,little butter on top of chicken pieces,I do mean a little,cover with foil,leave one corner open.

Bake for 75 minutes turning chicken over halfway through cooking.

It's simple and it tastes really great.It goes great with rice(make sure and always wash your rice before cooking it.It gets that funky taste off of it).Take a couple tablespoons of the leftover sauce and put it on your rice,man thats good stuff.;f

19. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

I like drunken chickens. Take a chicken, impale it on a can of beer, stick it on a grille for thirty minutes and then eat it. I like corn on the grille too. Take some corn still in the husks and soak it in water (completely covered, you may have to weight it down with a rock or something) for about 20 minutes then grille it. I also like grilled steak. Go to a butcher or something and get him to cut you up some T-Bones about an inch or so thick. Don't put anything on them, especially salt. Take them out of the frig and let them get to room temp, for about 10 min then cook them on the grille at about 350 degrees for 2 min one side and 2 min the other side. WOOOOWEEEE!!!

Buy a wok and learn how to use it. Don't use prepared sauces and stuff, they are way to salty and preservatives are the devil. Also learn how to properly steam veggies (read, cook for seconds, not hours).

All of this stuff is good and healthy. Oh and don't crank up the grille without lots of beer handy, it just doesn't work right if you aren't getting toasted.

;b

20. Bogey

Bogey The Mouth® CLM

Allright all you puritans out there...come and get me!!!

Buy a George Foreman grille...you can cook anything on one...and takes no time at all. Chicken, burger, steak, veggies, you name it.