Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Simple bread recipe anyone

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by wannabullet, May 28, 2005.

1. wannabullet

DFW Texas
    Hey All,

Years ago I had a class full of engineers from Switzerland. They were craving some bread from the home country and I told them if they gave me the address I would make some for them.

The gave me the easiest recipe ever, consisted of basically flour, water (or milk if desired to be softer) yeast and a few other items.

Well, I lost that recipe and would like to make some more.

Any of you have any good simple bread recipes that are simlilar to bread found in Italy, Swiss, germany?

Please post up.

Nothing better than good, hard crusted homemade bread for me.

2. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

About 5 cups of flour( Robin hood Bread flour if you can get it), one table spoon salt, one cake or one tablespoon dry yeast and water.

If using a food processor pulse to mix dry then add sloowwly hot(from the tap) water until it starts comes together.

Set spin till a ball forms.

(I knead in a bowl to hold down the mess)

Sprinkle with dry flour and knead a little, oil the bowl, and let rise.

punch down, sprinkle with flour, knead let rise again.(heat the oven to 500 degrees while this second rise in happening)

Knead, shape into the kind of loaf you want let rise. (I use a round) dust the top with flour and cut a large cross cut into the top. Let rise

If you have a pizza stone put the loaf on it( it should have been in the oven heating)if you don't turn a pan up side down(like a metal 9 by 13 and bake on the bottom of it.

Give it 25 to 30 minutes you should have nice color and the bottom of the loaf should sound hollow when you tap it.

A pan of boiling water(steam) placed in the oven while baking helps the crust. Some people just toss a couple of ice cubes in the oven and close the door.

I like it while it is still hot enough melt butter.