close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Silver investors: Bullion or Coins?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by bchandler, Sep 23, 2012.

1. bchandler

bchandler

My intent is not to discuss whether investing in precious metals is a good idea or not! This thread is for those who are convinced that it is, and are taking steps to buy some physical metal.

I recently bought my first physical metal, some 10oz bars of silver bullion. I chose this form of silver due to the lower cost over spot compared to coin bullion like the silver eagles or maples.

To the more expert investors out there: what do you prefer? Coinage or bullion? I can see both having benefits. The bullion has lower premium over spot, but is harder to verify as authentic when selling, and therefore sells at a lower premium compared to coins. However the spread on bullion was lower when I shopped recently. I do not care about numismatic value.

My next purchase will probably be a roll of coins just to diversify a little.

My personal objective is as a long term investment vehicle and inflation hedge. I do not plan on trading metals for food when the zombies come or the reds take over.

Also, I know it probably wasn't the best time for a short term investor to buy, with silver just recently going from 30 to $35, but in my long term strategy, when I liquidate in retirement 30 years from now, I don't think it will matter if I bought at 30 or 35 :)

2. Caver 60

Caver 60

I'm certainly not an expert or even an investor.

What you said "The bullion has lower premium over spot, but is harder to verify as authentic when selling, and therefore sells at a lower premium compared to coins."

Got mine several decades ago. Went with small coins dimes, quarters, half dollars, because they are a known quantity, and I'm more concerned the ability to trade them for something I want when our economy goes south.

I'm not looking at them as an investment at all, although they have done pretty well, because I bought when the price was right. My kids can sell them someday, if I don't need them first. And I hope I don't need them.

Yes I've got plenty of ammunition, toilet paper, etc., also.

3. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Mobile or static?.'08.

4. jeager

jeager

5. boone10

boone10 Glockeologist

Junk silver is the way to start out. Later (if there is a later), you can move into bars, commemoratives, etc., but I will personally always stay with pre '64 circulated US coinage.

6. PBCounty

PBCounty

I stick with Eagles only because I know what I am getting. Getting my silver on e-bay, I don't always trust the private mint / art bars to be authentic. I doubt most sellers would even know if they were selling a counterfeit.

7. RedTop

RedTop

I agree with PBCounty. Mint coins will be much easier to recognize and barter with should SHTF.

8. houseflipper

houseflipper

American Eagles and Canadian Maple leafs.

9. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I recently found a pretty good place to buy silver. They are in a small town close to where I grew up and their prices are competitive and shipping and communication has always been good. I buy silver eagles for reasons mentioned above. I plan to give them to my kids when they grow up.

Providentmetals.com

Greg

10. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

I have a mix of both.