close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Silver Bear Ammo Question

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Apetrulis01, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Apetrulis01

Apetrulis01

Since Silver Bear ammo has the Zinc plated steel, does it still have the stupid lacquered on it. I would think not since the Zinc would make less friction. Just wondering, thanks for the response.

Adam

2. Duct Tape

Duct Tape

The Silver Bear does not have any laquer on it. Generally, laquer isn't a big deal unless you're trying to shoot laquer-coated ammo out of an AR-15.

3. Apetrulis01

Apetrulis01

Yeah, I shoot an AR-15, so no laquer silver bear is good for the AR.

4. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

No lacquer. Same goes for golden bear.

5. Jon_R

Jon_R

The new Wolf is no longer Lacquer either. I just did a one day Carbine class (AR) using the new Wolf 62 Grain and had no issues. 500 rounds without cleaning over ~6 hours.

6. diamondmike

diamondmike

Hold on a minute!.

Not all Silver Bear ammo has zinc plating.
    The 223 has zinc plating but other calibers like the 9X18 has a nickel plating.

But to awnser your question NO there is not any lacquer on it.

7. LEAD

LEAD

I had a few duds in the 5.45X39 silver bear I've shot, and the diameter of thier HP bullets if greater than that of their FMJs , seeming like 5.56 bullets loaded into X39 casings. The brown bear I've shot had no duds. If the zinc coated rounds are left exposed to the elements, they seem to corrode oddly, with more of a whitish corrosion rather than rust colored.

In summation stay away from 5.45X39 HP silver bear, and if you're buying looking for something that will stand up to the elements a would reccomend going laquor or poly coated bear ammo.

8. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

My understanding was it was going to stop being produced.
    Due to rusting issues.
    I guess not.

9. Apetrulis01

Apetrulis01

The thing is, when I have been doing carbine drills with me AR and the barrel has gotten real hot, and then I let a round sit in there for a few minutes while transitioning to pistol (this is with Wolf, even the new poly coat), it jams up because the laquer has stuck to the walls.

Yes I reload .223, but I only have a single stage press and cannot afford anything new right now. So I thought if Silver Bear did nothave any of the laquer on it it would not stick in the chamber if left there for a few minutes.

Adam

10. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I avoid lacquer coating like the plague. I've had issues in my Nagant with lacquer ammo. Only one I don't care about is the SKS. Silver bear is either zinc or nickel plated.

11. Jon_R

Jon_R

The new Wolf Poly Coated cases don't have any lacquer on them so it can't be jamming because of lacquer.

12. diamondmike

diamondmike

If your having jams it could be because the steel casing sometimes over expands.

If your extractor is not broke or chipped and your ejector is good and straight its highly likely that the casings are over expanding and theres nothing that can be done that I know of.

13. LEAD

LEAD

I have not heard this. I have seen brass get stuck after a session fo steel, because in theory the steel didn't expand, thus allowing fouling to get around the casing, then the expanding brass cases that followed expand more than steel, and get caught up on the fouling of the previous cartridges.

14. diamondmike

diamondmike

I think alot has to due with how tight the bullet rests in the chamber.

I have a couple M44 carbines and used steel cased ammo and both of them had trouble with the casing over expanding to where I could not even turn the bolt to eject the casing.

When steel expands during the explosion it does not reshape itself like brass does.

15. thesmiter1

thesmiter1

If you read the box of truth post, that's exactly what happens. The steel doesn't expand, so fouling gets around it easier than brass, which does expand. Lacquer has nothing to do with it.

16. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Lacquer has a lot to do with it. Czech lacquered ammo jams up both my nagant's but the steel cased wolf ammo(bi-metal) or copper plated steel cases work fine. I've had it happen with other coated ammo too, but never any regular ammo.

17. LEAD

LEAD

Some have said that the primer sealer not the laquer is what gums up the works. I have found more red colored residue (same color as primer sealer) than green or laquer colored remains after range sessions.

With my platform (AKs) I think it is less of an issue, with ARs alternating between steel and brass cases seems to be non-adventageous.

I think Poly coated is best for those who can reliably store ammo in non battlefield conditions and Laquer coated is best for bad environments. The zinc coated silver bear I had more issues with in general, within days outside the zinc had corroded whitish, plus the dud rounds where more prevalent than other bear ammo, could be just coincidense.