Silly simple question for the COLD weather cops.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Ralphumor, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Ralphumor

Ralphumor NRA Life Member

It makes no difference but I HATE the cold, anything under 50 is cold, anything under 30 SUCKS! I do NOT care if it is 120 I love it and dont cry about it. I do cry like a little school girl when its cold.

I have a question about pens. Yes it seems that when it dips below 30 and I am working a accident or other report my pen likes to freeze up and quit working. I have a crusty old Sgt that just says he will put his foot in my be-hind if I continue to complain about the cold but that doesnt help me with my frozen pen. So how do you fellers/or ladies up where it is really cold deal with frozen pens or am I just crazy :supergrin:?

2. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Keep in a warm spot. Like, under your coat.

3. Malstorme

Malstorme Bad Influence

Keep a pencil in your notebook... (/sarcasm on: Oklahoma's known for our extreme cold /sarcasm off)

Mals

4. Ralphumor

That works but its when I am trying to write. Maybe I need to carry two....

5. Ralphumor

Its now in my seat organizer...That was way to easy...DUH!:rofl:

6. C.Smith

C.Smith Millennium Member

Fisher Space pens do not freeze. I love them. I use the $10.00 black military ones. Refills are spendy $5.00 but well worth it to me. Smooth writing and they never freeze.

Corey

7. josepavento

josepavento

Some people lose pens. I don't. Have the same two for over two years now. I put fisher space pen refills into my pens. They write great on tickets and great in the cold. I've converted over half my shift. The refills are $5 each but they last ~6 months for me.

8. mrdann

mrdann

There you go! I carry a click top Fisher in my pen pocket and a fisher "Bullet" pen in the shirt pocket as backup. Not that I deal with COLD weather in South FL,but the Fisher is like a Glock; YOU will freeze or melt before it does!

9. lwt210

lwt210

10. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Write in the car.

11. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

I got a Write In The Rain pen and 2 notebooks from the ex-girlfriend for X-mas last year, and I love it. I'm pretty sure it's about the same as a Fisher in practice, but I've never had a problem with it freezing up on me, plus if I ever have to write a note in space or underwater, I'm golden! "Help me! Can't breathe!" comes to mind. Beyond that, I keep a couple cheap-o Bics in my sap pocket, that seems to do okay. Stay warm!

12. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

I'm not a cop, but I live in WI and only use pens. I leave some in my car between work (currently moonlighting as a server, pens freeze during the day). 10 minutes in my left pocket and they're good to go. I'm sure if that's where I kept it during the day while outside, they'd be just fine...

13. fuzzyduck

fuzzyduck

I write tickets at times in 20 below weather. I use the standard blue click pens at 20/box. I keep 3 in my pocket at all times and a few in my seat organizer. When the first freezes, I put it back in my pocket under my jacket and go to the second and so on. May not be a write in outerspace kind, but it works for me.

(PS I kinda want an outerspace pen!!!)

14. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Use the power of the heater, and write the report in your cruiser.

15. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I hear ya... when it dips to the low-50s like last week and possibly even lower to the low-30s in the next few months, I will be spending a lot of time inside the car.

As for pens freezing... write your ticket inside the car or if you must do it outside, write FAST!

Our reports are done on computer, which is inside the car or station.

16. CJStudent

CJStudent No Longer Fenced In

Pansy. It's not THAT cold here! :tongueout:

In all seriousness, I usually keep mine in my shirt pocket, under my jacket, and rotate them if one starts to freeze up. That must be a hell of a long report if your pen freezes, though. I haven't had that happen very often using Zebra F401 pens.

17. G-31

G-31 .357 Sig

The ink in these is pressurized, you can write upside down, in a submarine, in outer space and in the cold. Try it.

18. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I will make sure I try one of those pens next time I am in a cold submarine in outer space and upside down trying to write "WTF am I doing out here in outer space freezing my rear off in a submarine and why am I upside down?":steamed:

19. G-31

G-31 .357 Sig

Calm down I'm just saying they work wherever you are. They're good pens and that's what they're capable of, I don't submerge my glock in water or throw it in mud but I know if I did it'd still work. Oh, and my Glock can shoot upside down, when I might need to I'll never know but I'd be upset if it couldn't. :tongueout:

20. OLY-M4gery

OLY-M4gery

Body armor keeps the heat from going from the human through the armor to the pen in the shirt pocket.