close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Silicon Valley from Black Mountain

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by hwyhobo, Nov 21, 2006.

1. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Or, to be more precise, from about half way up the Black Mountain. Shot this last Saturday, perfect hiking weather.

Picture is 1200 pixels wide, so if it comes up small, click on "original" size below. Thumb follows:

[​IMG]

2. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Meat Popsicle

Smog so thick you could walk across the top of it!:shocked:

3. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

It's smog mixed in with a low-hanging cloud cover. I am waiting for a real lightning storm to clear out the air. We don't get more than a few of those a year.

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

What? No hidden dog pics this time? :supergrin:

What a view, smog and all!

You rarely get lightening?

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Darn, I forgot to leave an Easter egg for misskitty5077. :supergrin:

Few times a year if we're lucky. I miss my visits to Georgia (I used to travel there a lot from another company), where I would see more lightning storms in one week than we get in one year. I would sit outside on a balcony chair and inhale the ionized air. And what a smell!
    :hearts:

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

During the summer, we get plenty of storms. We have had a few throw off tornadoes. Hurricanes are fun too but normally when they make it this far inland, they are pretty weak. A few were still powerhouses though.

I absolutely hate to be out in a storm since I saw lightening hit the transformer on a power line at the greenhouse about 50' from where I was standing :shocked:

7. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Mind you, I said I loved to sit on a balcony :). I have no desire to be in the open sticking out like a lightning rod during a storm, either on the planes, or in the mountains. I've heard of (documented) cases where people where blown off onto the rocks below by a lightning striking nearby :shocked:. No fun.

One particular mountain I know that a lot of people climb has a huge steel cross on the peak. Not a good place to be when the weather changes. :outtahere:

8. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

We headed for cover at the greenhouse during one rough storm this spring. While we were sitting there, lightening stuck and blue flames shot out the electrical outlet right next to me. To say I screamed bloody murder would be an understatement. To say my mother and the girl working there laughed their asses off at me would be a gross understatement :upeyes:

9. spober

spober

I lived in San Jose from 1967-1975.There are seldom good old fashon thunder and lightnig storms.Now here in N.C.we have the classic thunder BOOMERS!:banana: