Silica GEL

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by charlie-xray, Sep 22, 2005.

1. charlie-xray

charlie-xray Gunpowder Adik

I'm planning to keep my Glock 23 on this Hard CASE and use this Silica GEL any comments or suggestion concerning this practice.

2. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

Hi cxr :)

For long-term storage, I guess dessicant won't hurt,
    although liberal use of gun oil/lube/preservative on
    the pistol renders pretty much excess moisture irrelevant.

:)

3. vega

vega

Just make sure that the silica gel is not expired. Or if you want to activate it again, put it in the oven for abour 30 minutes at 250F.

vega

4. Mang Danny

Mang Danny

Back home, I used to wrap my pistol with several layers of kraft paper saturated in oil then placed in a plastic bag. Maski tag-ulan hindi tumatagos ang moisture.

5. toxic

toxic

for long term storage thats what other BOG's recommend, i for one do the same thing..oil/lube my boomer and mags ,wrap it in a zip lock type bag with a couple of dessicant packs inside it stays there for 6-8 months so far no sign of Kalawang and i would take Vega's advice..

Sillica Gel if you want to activate it again, put it in the oven.

6. tima1

tima1

I have been looking for this stuff for use in storing my ammo. Can you guys point me to where I can buy some silica gel? And after Heating it in the oven. How long will reheated stuff be good for?

7. toxic

toxic

If you know anyone who bought new pairs of shoes ,usually may sillica Gel sa loob ng Box ng Shoes or kung may kilala ka na sales lady sa Shoe store hingi ka na lang...wala ka pang gastos.
    Another option is (naughty) go to a shoe store try several shoes for you , kunin mo yung silica gel sa loob ng box , then sabihin mo sa sales lady ..nah ive changed my mind i dont want to buy a pair of shoes today..maybe tommorrow.. ;f pero dala mo na silica gel.

It will last long as long as it is not saturated with oil , kase if you put it in let say microwave oven parang pop corn na mag pa pop , ive tried it mabaho din amoy so sa bread toaster or sa gas oven mo na lang i-treat/heat no longer than 30 mins at masusunog naman.

8. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

Just store it in your office. It's probably always airconditioned there, possibly dehumidified to some extent too.

You said you're storing a Glock. Didn't Chuck Taylor store his Glock in the Pacific Ocean for 6 months and nothing much happened? Probably there's no problem storing it wherever.

9. calcite

calcite

you can usually buy silica gel from large diy stores like Ace, True-Value, etc.