close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Signature wierdness?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by MB-G26, Feb 7, 2003.

1. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

Has anyone else noted their .sig being truncated? I thought I was w/in the 4-line limit, but I just now posted in an existing thread and when my reply was added my sig had been converted to the size code followed by a brief portion of the text that had been there.

I checked in usercp, and sure enough, it was changed there - but I haven't touched in quite some time......

Did I miss an Admin notice somewhere about sigs?
    m

2. kentley

kentley

Yes I did. Mine was chopped as well. Noticed it in some PM's

3. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

Hello. I was looking over the sig lines in the database today and noticed that there were sig lines that stretched more than 20 lines and several that were in excess of 1,000 characters long. That is way, way too long.

I have asked a couple of times in the past for people to voluntarily limit the size of their sig lines, but many have chosen not to, so I limited the size of the sig line field in the database to 200 characters. I think this is a reasonable length for what a sig line is supposed to be used for.

One thing that I hadn't taken into account was the sig lines whose text wasn't very long, but the total length of the entry was, because of text formatting or embedded url's. I apologize for the folks (MB-G26 and others) whose sig lines got caught in the crunch, that didn't deserve it.

Having too-long sig lines uses bandwidth needlessly and it can be distracting. Having to scroll past 10 or twenty line long signatures to find the posts in the thread is no fun for anyone. Anyway, I haven't imposed a limit to the number of lines a signature can span, but I would appreciate it if everyone could keep their sigs at 4 lines or less. Thanks...Eric

4. kentley

kentley

I can't find this quote again, is there anyway anyone can get it for me?

...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." "When

5. DesertEagle

DesertEagle OH HELL MY HEAD CLM

Shazbot, half the character of the site was in people's sigs ;P
    Eric, I can understand the reasoning behind your decision, and certainly respect your right to decide what goes since it is your site, might I make a request...
    In future, if you decide to make a change like that, could we maybe have a day or two warning to prune our sigs and decide what to keep and what not to, and get club numbers and everything? I had to go back and make sure I was putting the right numbers cause they all got cut off.

D.E.

6. python1340

python1340 Licensed to Ill

You are not alone! I noticed that my sig (not my P-220) was being truncated too. I shortened it, and now it's OK. I completely understand Eric's decision.

7. python1340

python1340 Licensed to Ill

Hey, Eric- if you want to reduce useless lines in a message, how about removing the "Last edited by ..." line that follows each message that has been edited?

8. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

I have restored the original sig lines, but I am going to sohrten them again next week. This will give everyone a chance to do whatever they want to do with them. I should have done this in the first place. Sorry about that...Eric

9. DesertEagle

DesertEagle OH HELL MY HEAD CLM

Much appreciated :)
    D.E.

10. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

Hey you overworked and under-appreciated Webmaster, you :)
    Can I just clarify: is the rule (a) 200 or less characters, or (b) 4 lines, or (c) the less of the two? I just grabbed a copy/paste of mine and I'll save it, so I'll have my club numbers and such in the future, but I want to make sure I'm in compliance.

According to Word97, my current sig has a 408/476 (w/ vs. w/o spaces) character count, which includes the code thingies for size and color. I think it falls w/in the 4-line limit (have to double check when this reply hits), but I just want to make sure that a 4-line'r or less is ok.

Certainly can't quibble w/you enforcing the sig size limit ;f
    m

11. Dandapani

Dandapani

I moved to a new browser, FireFox 1.0PR, and I see that many signatures are cut off. See the attached picture. I wonder if the browser is just more "compliant" and therefore strict in what it does.

The signature area is hardcoded to only allow so much "visual area". Here is a snippet of the html for the picture shown {brackets used instead of angles}

Code:
    {div s.t.y.l.e="width: 500px; height: 80px; overflow: hidden;"}{font  
    size="1"}"I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is 
    libertarianism.  The basis of conservatism is a desire for less 
    government interference or less centralized authority or more individual
    freedom, and this is a pretty general description also of what
    libertarianism is."{br /} Ronald Reagan, July 1st, 1975{br /} {br /} 
    "The Bush people have no right to speak for my father...  Yes, some of 
    the current policies are an extension of the '80s.  But the overall 
    thrust of this administration is not my father's -- these people are  
    overly reaching, overly aggressive, overly secretive, and just plain 
    corrupt.  I don't trust these people."{br /} Ron Reagan Jr., April 4th,