Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
29,350 Posts
I'll go you one better. For the first time yesterday, I saw two signers at a news conference. First one would sign, then a speaker at a second podium would speak, then the second signer would sign. I wondered WTH was going on, so I finally had to turn up the sound ( I almost never listen to the WuFlu conferences ).

The second speaker was re-saying what the first speaker was saying in Spanish and the second signer was signing in Spanish.

I imagine news conferences are taking twice as long now; yet another reason not to listen to them.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Closed captioning and speech to text applications are reducing the number of people learning sign language especially for people losing their hearing late in life.

It does seem very unnecessary.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Live closed captioning is always a hot mess. If you're not deaf, trying watching a live feed and reading the caption. It's going to be inaccurate or parts of it will be missing.

There's American Sign Language (ASL) and BSL (British Sign Language) that I personally know of. I'm sure there are more variations out there.

·
Premium Member
26,327 Posts
It’s great to have sign language option. But televised? As said closed captions are better. SIL knows sign language (so my brother some) she said some people sign terribly, “must be the accent” was a comment. My hearing is very good (except higher freq) I still use CC. Large crowd, signer off to side. Who does it help? IMO set up a “sign language reader only” section off side near signer. They can then see what is going on.

Player one

Talk to text is very accurate if the speaker does the learning part. (A short series of woods, phrase you read off). It learns how you speak, letters you punch, skip...

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
The guy here who signs for the governor is always touching his face. Even when the governor is talking about not touching your face.

Worse is the little toad that steps in between speakers. He is wearing gloves, mask, googles, face shield and carries a bottle of disinfectant and a rag. He sterilizes the mike and podium between speakers. Problem is the way he does it. It looks like he is masturbating the microphone.

·
Registered
11,258 Posts
Sign language could be a very handy thing, I wish I had learned a long time ago...too late now I can't retain anything....

·
Registered
32,509 Posts
Sign language is for the people born deaf. You can start using it with babies. My sister did it with her kids that could hear. Its supposed to help kids with their learning but I see no real difference.

Closed captioning is mess. My wife is hard of hearing so she watches with subtitles to help out but it is off. I had to use it for The Man in the High Castle because the Japanese scenes were shot with people whispering a lot. It was meant to convey the underground nature of what they were doing but it was hard to hear.

·
Registered
84 Posts
All of my children could sign from the time they were babies. It was necessary for all of us to be able to speak with each other.

·
NRA Benefactor
7,448 Posts
A large number of individuals who are Deaf do not read as well as they sign. Captions are of limited usefulness. Average reading levels for individuals who are Deaf are lower than they are for people who can hear.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4714330/

If the average hearing person reads at the 8th or 9th grade level, an average individual who is Deaf reads at the 5.9 level.

Don't confuse Deaf with Late-Deafened, etc. Someone who has heard the human voice has a little better understanding about why some of us are flapping our lips. :)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
As a local Union Steward, I had to hire people to sign for conferences and seminars we were having. Hard of hearing members were always complaining about the poor signing of people we hired to interpret. We could never please everyone.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
I live near frederick md school for the deaf. There are dozens of deaf folk on my train that work in dc and attend gallaudet university. Since the advent of smartphones they don't seem to sign as much on the train.

I tend to use closed captions if a scott is speaking, they may call it english but it sounds like they have a mouthful of rocks in their mouth.

·
Good looking deplorable
7,148 Posts
Live closed captioning is always a hot mess. If you're not deaf, trying watching a live feed and reading the caption. It's going to be inaccurate or parts of it will be missing.
This. Closed caption is almost always wrong. Plus people watch the speeches on FB and other platforms that do not offer CC. I know this because I asked one of the deaf people I know. Most read lips, but that can be hard from different camera angles.

·
Registered
25,972 Posts
This is a case where being inclusive is the right thing to do -

If you try to convince me you need a rainbow coalition for ever thing - like ever company must have a % of blacks, Hispanics, women, gays, trans and what ever else is PC these guys I will say that is BS - hire the best you can find and don't try and have some quota -

But when speaking to the population you really need to try and communicate with as many as possible.

·
Premium Member
26,327 Posts
The guy here who signs for the governor is always touching his face. Even when the governor is talking about not touching your face.
"........edited out.......

.......edited out......e.
I don't know sign language. But wouldn't "Do NOT touch your face". Likely have a "NO", and a " face" gesture?? Assuming it's similar to English.
Also I recall there are many things you use the face to speed along signing.

There is no real danger touching your face after you washed your hands, face well. If my face itches when around people. I wash hands, then scratch. If I have cuts on my hands I consider exam gloves. I do not shave right before going somewhere. Skin is a decent barrier. Open cuts negate that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts