close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sights for GSSF shooters

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by FESTUS, Jun 12, 2002.

1. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Ok....I have been mentored before and I know this question has been asked and answered but let me quantify it one more.....I am presently using Metprolight fixed 3-dot sights on my model 22 and have decided that improvement is needed in the sight picture....at 25 yds. the A...B...and C... rings seem to be filled with the dot, also the other two horizontal dots at times overwhelm my front sight and my mind does not concentrate on that front sight....ok now for the punchline....one who will shoot GSSF only and probably only be able to shoot Amateur till the cows come home ( maybe one day break 105.0)which sight would one suggest...I do reload, but I will not develop different loads for different stages....so-oooo Bomars that fit the Glock slot, or the Heines'...if so how about the low-profile slant eight....I have seen recommendations for both but do not remember anyones' comments on the low profiles. Comments would be appreciated and of course acted upon ;f ;f ;f

2. THE VOID

THE VOID

Festus, I am currently going thru the same thing. I have been shooting GSSF for three years with my 17 w/factory night sights. They have been good for me. I have been shooting 113's lately. I did manage an 87 in Comp. class at Waldorf with it. I wanted to try new stuff, just got the itch. I did not want to mess with my match gun so I found a used 17C to play with. I have Heinies, Bomars, millet. I just got a Aro-tek front in factory height but a bit narrower then stock. I took factory fixed rear (tried all heights) and turned it around for an all black picture. So far I like it. I took another and opened it up with a dremel. Just a bit. Don't know about that yet. Bomars seem nice but something just doesn't seem right about them yet. I put them on the 17L for later testing. I do like the increased light bars of this Aro-tek. Going to Jackson this weekend. Taking both guns. The jury is still out. I am going to try to get some range time in on Friday to work it out. If I shoot it okay, I can just swap barrels for Am. Civ and Comp. Oh yes, Heinie had a crisp sight picture but not to my point of aim.

This didn't help you, did it? I will let you know how it works out.

Dayton

3. on target

on target

Void look for Russ and I on Saturday, love to see your stuff.

4. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

If you want fixed sights our Race Cut Heinies are the best. But if you want the best sights for GSSF the Bomars are by far best as you can dial in your sights to your prefereed POI and load. I think I can safely say that more GSSF matches have been won with bomars than any other iron sights in the last 3 years. We also happen to be a Bomar and Heinie distributor.
    http://www.gunracing.com/Qstore/c000002.htm

matt

5. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

I like the Bomars for Glocks BUT can't get over how they look (overhang)... I have the Heinies... They just work.

6. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Bomars, winners can't be wrong! The Bomars are definitely the way to go. If you reload they are absolutely essential. Like many other changes I've made it takes a week or two to fully realize the effect and be comfortable with them but once you try them you will wonder how you got along without them. :)

7. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Here is another vote for Bomars. I have not tried the Race Cut from CGR but I am sure they are everything Matt says they are. I have the regular Bomars on 2 Glocks. One set came from CGR and the other set I got from Brownells. They are hard to beat and neither set took long to adjust to POI.

8. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Reloads or factory, it's nice to be able to sight your gun in with different weight bullets for different purposes.
    Bomars are the best choice for this. Unless carry is an issue, the 1/2 inch they hang off the back of the slide affects nothing.

ARE THEY LEGAL NOW IN GSSF?;)

9. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Well whatever I get will be from Matt at CGR, he does a great job...I didn't see Dannys' reply he seemed to be an advocate of the Heines'...but I did't know if he had experienced the race cuts or not, I know the Bomars are what the Masters are using as well as Masters in trainning....I was hoping to stay with a fixed sight night sight and stay conventional in(MY MIND)but the overwhelming reality lends to the BOMARS with the stock slot. OK.....guys...Matt do I install, I have no problem with investing in the correct tools for front and back sights...I will need tools to install Bomars' on (2) 22's....unless you all talk me out of the .40's on another thread...and install Heines' on (2) 27's ....prefer the racecut....what do you all suggest as far as quality installation tools to do both the Bomars and Heines'?... ;f I would prefer to install myself and not send the slides across the country.

10. don't tread on me

don't tread on me

11. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Brownells has a rear site tool(Pusher) that works great and is cheaper than the Glock built one. They also have a small 3 piece kit that contains the socket for the front site,punch for brakedown of the entire Glock and a small Hex head that fits the setscrews on the Bomars. I have the set and have used them extensively. They are a little tricky with the Bomars but work fine and the Heinies just slide right in with it.

12. GLOCKhp

GLOCKhp Proud American

I may be asking to be roasted, smoked, chewed up, and spit out here, but I’m going to throw out a whole different possibility. I (and perhaps at least a few others) don’t have the financing or a wife who’s understanding enough to let me get a gun (or two or twelve) just for competing. Therefore, my 17 sits next to my 23 in the defensive arena, as well as serving as my GSSF gun. This, in my opinion, begs for night sights. I have PT night sights on my 23 with orange rear dots and green front dot, which helps draw the attention to the front dot in low light. They offer other color combos, and I think I would be hard pressed to give much serious consideration all green now, unless of course I bought a gun that already had them. MMC (part of the Innovative Weaponry group with PT), offers adjustable night sights in all of the color combinations offered by PT. Does anyone have any experience with MMC sights? What are the group’s thoughts on using such sights on a GSSF gun? I have considered them, especially if my son gets interested in shooting GSSF with me.

I know I’ve departed from the norm, but I’ve got my nomex suit on and I’m ready.:)

13. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

It's all in what you want. Economics is always a factor. If you are really serious about doing your best and winning then I feel your best bet is going with a proven combination. There have been, and will be again, people who can shoot a basic Glock with facory ammo and shoot respectable and even win. But that's tough to do nowadays with as many serious shooters as are showing up, especially with the southeast matches. If you go for fun and doing your best then shoot what you have and have a ball. If you really want to win you can without an equipment race, it just takes tons of practice, a little polishing, some good iron sights and good reloads. Oh yeah, did I mention practice? Night sights may work well for you but I have found that going to the all black adjustable Bomars made it much easier for me to get a consistant, quick sight picture. Being like us can cause divorce under some circumstances! ;f I don't have that trouble, my wife knows how hard it is to win A-1. Then again she likes Glocks. ;f

14. Roland-G23

Roland-G23 STI Convert

Is there enough material in a Glock slide to have a Bo-Mar cut machined into them without interfering with the extractor plunger and slide cover plate?

I've got Heinie slant pros on my G17 and G34. I'm mostly using the G34 for USPSA production and Speed Steel, and have contemplated a fiber-optic front for the G34 with a Bo-Mar rear (don't know if that's going to be legal for USPSA production). I really don't care for the appearance of the Bo-Mar hanging off the back of the slide, especially for the G17, because its my primary defensive handgun, and I do carry it. The G34 is slowly becoming a competition only gun (though if I get a G35 at some point, the G34 will become the house gun, and all the tweaked trigger parts will go into the G35).

15. cigna63

cigna63

Roland,
    The Bomars can be machined in but doing so isn't legal for GSSF 'Stock" classes.

The rules state:

" You may use aftermarket sights that offer a "Patridge" (that is, square/rectangular front post and square/rectangular rear sight notch) sight picture similar to the sight picture characteristic of sights offered by GLOCK, Inc. that do not (in the sole opinion of GSSF) provide a significant competitive advantage advantage and provided further, that their installation does not require milling or other dimensional changes to the slide (no “buried Bo-Mars” or similar installations).

16. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Festus,

You can use a modifed MGW tool to install bomars and Heinies. For the front I prefer the good ol Glock front sight tool. Always locetite all the screws and if you and putting on tritium be careful, its easy to break the vial on the front sight.

Roland,

Yes you can low mount Bomars into a cut slide (its what I use for Production, Limited and IDPA) but as mentioned it is not GSSF stock legal. Below is an IDPA gun we built with melted in Bomars.
    [​IMG]

matt

17. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Folks,

I have not tried Matt's race cut Heinies, but have stock Heinies on most of my Glocks. I tried the Bo-Mars but my old eyes seem to like the Heinies best. Both are excellent choices. So are Glocks new factory night sights.

Decisions, Decisions!

18. mcginnes

mcginnes Safety Officer Millennium Member

All good replies!

I have tried a few different sights: Glock adj. Heinies and Bo-mars. In order to zero in on that A ring at 25 yards, I use the Bo-Mars. I also took a small file and opened up the rear sight. I have also seen people narrow the front sight, but that just doesn't work for me. Mind you, taking a file to your new, $100 sights is not for the faint of heart. I recommend getting a 'smith (like Matt) to do it for you.

Glockhp: I don't think anyone would flame you for that. My 17 did double duty (GSSF and Self-Defense) for a long time, and did pretty well in GSSF with nightsights. My brother uses nightsights on his GSSF gun, and he's a double digit miget (well, when he practices.)

Like any other piece of equipment, the Bo-mars can make things a little more comfortable, but ultimately it's up to the shooter. Compare the Am-Civ scores to the Competition scores and the Stockmeister scores to the Unlimited scores, and you will see just how LITTLE difference equipment can make.

19. jay.shebuski

jay.shebuski

Hey Festus,

..before you go off buy'n one of those bomars or heinies, paint your current front sight, or something you can stick on your front sight, a color you can pick-up quick. I painted mine florescent orange. It works wonders...

20. THE VOID

THE VOID

It is two days before NJ and you people have me thinking about putting the bomars on tomorrow. What I have is working so...now silently to myself. Go with what you have! Experiment later! Don't do it!

I find that all the white outline and white front dot is distracting. I am going to shoot the "turned around" factory rear this weekend. With that Aro-tek narrow front.

Looking forward to seeing folks this weekend.

Dayton