Sights distance?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by hamburger, Mar 14, 2010.

1. hamburger

hamburger

What distances are handguns zero'ed in at? And what distances are the sights of different rifles out there set for?

I noticed my Glock 30 factory sights make the barrel point slightly upwards when the sights are leveled. I saw this when I placed my Glock upside down on a flat surface and the space beween the front end of the slide and the counter that i used is ever so slightly less then the back end of the slide to the flat surface. This is assuming the barrel is parallel with the top of my slide.

At what distance do the line of sight cross the path of projectile travel if gravity (9.8 m/s squared) is taken out of the equation?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  2. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

It depends on the brand of gun and how high above the center line of the bore the sights are. Most handguns are zeroed for 25 yards, gravity included.

3. waktasz

waktasz Gamer Scumbag

Never.

4. Novocaine

Novocaine

:upeyes:

I don't have G30 so I've measured G21. If my math is correct the trajectory (going up) intersects the line of sight at about 5 yards in front of the muzzle. Assuming G30 uses same height sights, the trajectory will intersect the line of sight 4.4 yards in front of the muzzle.

The steeper trajectory of G30 will probably balance itself out to intersect the line of sight again at the same point as G21 (should be at around 25 yards) as the bullet leaves G30 with less velocity.

5. waktasz

waktasz Gamer Scumbag

Yea you're right...dunno what I was thinking. I don't do a lot of pistol shooting in space :p

6. hamburger

hamburger

hmmmmmmmm

7. hamburger

hamburger

thank you

8. Exodus.

Exodus.

Also depends alot of the on manufacturer. FNH uses a full cover hold, the bullet will never intersect the line of sight on a FNH P-40, it shoots low from the factory. Most newer handguns share the same thinking, Glock being the holdout. My G22 shoots with a 6 oclock hold at 7yds. Meaning, with the sights level, the bullet hole will be just above the front sight at 7yds, I prefer that sight alignment, I dont want to have to hold on the badguys chin to put one center mass.

9. hamburger

hamburger

Thank you too. I have a better understanding how to aim at distances.