close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sights are giving me a headache. Help Please

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ergon, Jun 15, 2012.

1. ergon

ergon

I've got a G19 on it's way. I always change out the sights but don't know which way to go this time. I like the 10-8 rear and they suggest a standard XS front but can't grantee point of impact. Heinie has a all black rear but the front sight has nothing but a tritium insert with no outline. Anyone with a G19 that can help me out?

2. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

I don't know about the 10-8 rear with XS big dot front. That's just look off. It might work for yah but I wouldn't go down that road personally.

Heinies are a good option. What makes you not like that? Bc it has no white outline around the tritium?

I had the 10-8 front and 10-8 rear and that was probably one of the best combo I ever had. I'm going with that this time on my Gen4 19 that I bought today.

3. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Ergon,

Without further information, all I can do is tell you what I prefer. Not sure what you mean by giving you a headache. If I recall correctly from another thread, you are an older gentleman who has difficulty focusing on the front sight?

Anyway, I prefer the Ameriglo i-Dot Pros with the lime green/yellow front. It is very quick to pick up (high vis). [​IMG]

4. MikeG36

MikeG36

+1 to kodiakpb. Trijicon HD are outstanding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. FFR Spyder GT

FFR Spyder GT Ex-Gunslinger

I've got a G23 w/ factory adjustable sights and after +25,000rds I've never seen a reason to change them.

I did change the front sight on my G35 to a Hi-Vis while still using the OEM adj. rear.

But I do like the looks of the Trijicon HD.

6. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

One note;

The green color in night sights is the brightest, so if you want to do two different colors from front to rear, use green on the front.

7. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Just to clarify something for the OP, the AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro sight set is a very different configuration than the Trijicon HD™ sight set.

The AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro is a two-lamp system, as shown below, whereas the Trijicon HD™ is a three-lamp system. The shape of the rear sight notch is also different between the two. The Trijicon HD™ rear sight is serrated and has a true U-notch, whereas the AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro rear sight notch is wider (.180") and has a flat bottom with radiused corners.

Like kodiakpb wrote above, the AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro set are my favorite night sights too; a very good choice for shooters with less than perfect vision. The tritium lamp color is available in green for both front and rear sight or green front/amber rear (my preference). I write more about them here: AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro Night Sights for the Glock 30

AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  8. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

9. ergon

ergon

Yes I'm 64, but it was while I was at Gleco, that I adapted white dot with tritium insert and plain black rear.. I shot 296/300 top shot in my class at F. L. E. T. C... Blowing my own horn, and shot 300/300 in service.

10. ergon

ergon

Does anyone produce the sights I'm looking for?

11. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

I'm not clear on exactly what you are looking for. You described two possible combinations, but did not provide any specifics on what you want.

12. ergon

ergon

Front sight white dot with tritium insert. Rear sight black no dots, no inserts. Something along the lines of the 10-8 or Heinie. I have no idea what the dimensions should be. That's for the people who make them. Hows that?

13. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Yes, call Ameriglo. They sell special combinations and can do exactly that.

14. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Here's your problem.... NOBODY can "guarantee your point of impact". Why? Because that can be LOAD SPECIFIC. With 9mm, a different load can move the POI up/down the target.

So pick the sight type you like. Shoot them at 20 yards. If your POI isn't where you want, that is not the fault of the sight maker. It's probably related to the load you're shooting.

However, that doesn't mean you are stuck. Dawson makes all kinds of sights, in different height/width combinations. All black, fiber optic, and tritium. They also have a little formula you can use to determine the sight height that will give you desired POI. You plug in your sight radius, distance you are shooting, and the amount you want the POI to move (like 3" up). That will give you the correct sight height.

They also have a policy that if you order the front sight and not happy, they will exchange for a different height.

The most important thing is: you need to decide on what ammo you will primarily use. If you go out one time with Federal Champion (a seriously underpowered round) and another with something hotter, you can have different results.

The second thing that needs to happen, is you need to be a good enough shooter to get a decent group at 20 yards or so. If you're shooting a 15" group or something? Especially if lots of that is vertically? Then you can't say that's the sights, the problem is with you.

Front sights run around $30 or so. Less for all black, more when you start talking F.O. or Tritium.

I know that with Warren Sevigny Competition sights (pretty popular sight for USPSA/IDPA shooters), they recommend the .245" height for G34s, and a .215" height for G17s. The .245" height works for my G34, but there was a guy on here that needed to buy a .205" from Dawson for his. Different load he was shooting (we are both reloaders).

Lastly, and I will repeat... you cannot blame the sight manufacturer if POI isn't what you want. They design them for more commonly available ammo, if what you're shooting is a little different than that, your POI will differ.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  15. ergon

ergon

Thanks much for your input. I guess I should have explained why the need for a black rear sight. I picked up a microbe while I was NOT in Laos in the late 60's early 70's. The only place on earth you can pick it up. It distorts my sight picture with three dots. Looks like I'll have to get the rear one place and the front another. I know I can get one of the major sight and custom firearm builders to help me. I just hate to impose on him.

16. kashdaddy

kashdaddy Glockaholic

Ameriglo bro! best warrants, service, price, combination, etc. etc.

Trijicon sucks - worst warranty support and service. They did not want to stick to their warranty and will look for a loophole to escape.

Truglo TFO - chemicals damage them easily.

I have tried just about every sights out there.

17. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

I've only had one dealing with Trijicon on a used Trijicon HD sight I purchased and the front wasn't illuminating. I sent it in to them and had them back within a week...no charge. :dunno:

18. Paul53

Paul53 to serve man.

Anybody have experience with Advantage Tactical Sights? Like all manufacturers they make a great case for why they're the best. Tried i dots, really didn't work for me. 60 year old eyes here.

Also considering XS standard dots. Not really worried about night sites per se since tritium just doesn't seem that bright to me. Need target sights since I'm not into shooting that many people yet.

Sorry, not meaning to hijack the thread.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  19. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Just to clarify, there is a difference between i-Dots and i-Dot Pros (front sight).

20. dkf

dkf

Take a look at the Hackathorn sights from Ameriglo. They have a bright orange dot with green tritium in the center for the front sight and a black serrated sight sight on the rear. They are low profile sights and not tall and bulky like a lot of sights out there. All my Glocks have them. When its dark and I need the Tritium to see the sight I have no need for tritium in the rear sight, I'm only interested in the front sight and the target.

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/special-combinations