close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sighting In?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Esox357, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Esox357

Esox357

With the upcoming deer season I went out to fire my rifle (30.06) and found that my mounts were loose. I went back and had a new mount and scope put on my rifle. the place bore sighted my rifle. My problem is I need to sight my rifle in and the only place is a handgun range with the maximum distance being 50 meters. the place I previously sighted in is only open to the public 4 days a year for sighting in there hunting weapons before season.
    What do you recommend? I wanted to sight my rifle in at 1 1/2 to 2 inches high at a 100 yards. How do I do this at a 50 meter range? I know it deals with moa but am unsure how to do the calculations for this. Thanks Esox357

2. Kilgor

Kilgor American Millennium Member

3. m65swede

m65swede

Kilgor nailed it pretty well.

The short answer is that a 150 grain bullet that is zeroed at about 30 yards will be about 0.75" high at 50, about 2" high at 100, and will be again zeroed at 200 yards.

At the 50 meter range, it looks as if about 3/4" high should do it. Of course you really should verify your scope settings at longer ranges at some point. If your favorite bullet is the 165 grain or 180 grain, just run it through the link that Kilgor provided.

Good Shooting! :)

Swede

4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Do they want you shoot a .30-06 at a handgun range?

For example, they may have backstops built to handle pistol rounds, but rifle rounds might shoot the crap out of it.

I've seen handgunners who put a lot of time and effort into creating a nice range, only to get very po'd when somebody shot up their steel bullet stops with rifle rounds.

5. Esox357

Esox357

Thanks all for the comments, deerslayer that is a valid question and they do allow rifles as long as no full metal jackets are used, and they prevent rifles that shoot above a certain velocity. So I will be fine. It sucks that I cant find a decent range open to the public for rifle shooting nearby? Thanks again all. Esox357

6. safetyslug

safetyslug Hogs Beware