Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to sight in my G34 after I had some repair work done on the rear sight. So, best I can gather from various internet sources, which haven't been that helpful, here are the steps I'm supposed to take:

1. From a bench, shoot 3 shots in a tight group.

2. Decide whether the pistol is shooting high, low, to the right, or to the left.

3. Using the Up/Down and Right/Left screws on the top and side of the rear site, adjust them until I'm happy with where I'm hitting on the target.

Does that sound about right? What exactly do I use to adjust the little screws? Do I need a special tool or can I buy a tiny screw driver at a hardware store? At what distance do I have the target? Thanks for your help.

·
Sharon, you will be missed.
26,373 Posts
I don't know the answer, but I just asked a couple people who DO and should be along shortly :)

·
Get Tous's Rope
4,908 Posts
Originally posted by Atlantya
Does that sound about right? What exactly do I use to adjust the little screws? Do I need a special tool or can I buy a tiny screw driver at a hardware store? At what distance do I have the target? Thanks for your help.
Use one of the little screwdrivers you get to fix eyeglasses with, their the perfect size, I keep one in my range bag. You can buy them at walmart. I usually sight in pistol sights at 50 ft, you can get a close enough group to see where you need adjustments. Other than that, you got the rest. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
If it's the stock glock rear sight, it's a VERY small regular screw.And I mean SMALL

·
Bullseye?
715 Posts
One day while I was wandering in Home Depot, I found a set of small jeweler's type screwdrivers. Bought em specifically for this purpose. Haven't needed to use em yet, as the only pistol I have that needed sighting was my Ruger, and we did it last year....

BTW, also found a set of small files that I purchased for other gun related work....

Lynn

·
GET A ROPE!
37,372 Posts
Originally posted by Lynn D
One day while I was wandering in Home Depot, I found a set of small jeweler's type screwdrivers. Bought em specifically for this purpose. Haven't needed to use em yet, as the only pistol I have that needed sighting was my Ruger, and we did it last year....

BTW, also found a set of small files that I purchased for other gun related work....

Lynn
The words 'file' and 'gun-related work' kinda make me shiver some. :shocked:

Atlantya ma'am: I generally adjust the sight of my pistols two ways: If it's a combat pistol the sights are set to shoot to POA (point of aim) at 25 yards; target pistols are sighted so that the POI (point of impact) is in the X ring when using the 'pumpkin on a post' sight picture. Remember, move the rear sight in the direction you want to next shot to go.

May I suggest that you fire ten-round strings rather than just three? A larger sample is more representative of actual performance.

Note that a 3" group at 25 yards is considered acceptable for a combat pistol, though your Glock can do much better. :pepper:

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
And I bet if you called Glock they would send you the sight tool.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the helpful information!

I won't get a chance until Sunday to get out to the range to sight it in, but I'll let you all know how it goes. Saturday is an IDPA match and Sunday I'm shooting an AR-15 match at one of the ranges I belong to, so I'll take it along then and spend some time figuring out how to sight it in after the match. And, this weekend is the national NRA convention here in town, so I'll be spending all day Friday there. Shopping. :dancingbanana:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by tous
Remember, move the rear sight in the direction you want to next shot to go.
[/B]
Oh yeah, one more thing. So, tous....if I'm shooting too far to the right on the target and want to go more to the left, I adjust the rear sight to the left? And if too far left on the target, I adjust it to the right? If too high on the target, I move the rear sight down and if too low, I move the rear sight up? Is there some rule of thumb as to how many turns you turn the screws? Tiny little increments, or like, one whole turn or more?

·
GET A ROPE!
37,372 Posts
Originally posted by Atlantya
Oh yeah, one more thing. So, tous....if I'm shooting too far to the right on the target and want to go more to the left, I adjust the rear sight to the left? And if too far left on the target, I adjust it to the right? If too high on the target, I move the rear sight down and if too low, I move the rear sight up? Is there some rule of thumb as to how many turns you turn the screws? Tiny little increments, or like, one whole turn or more?
There is a rule of thumb, ma'am. If we know how much one click of adjustment moves the rear sight we can calculate how far an adjustment will move the point of impact at any given distance, but that's boring and it ain't shooting. :supergrin:

Depending on the difference between the point of aim and the point of impact, I generally use 5-click increments. Note that you should adjust the drift (left or right) first. Cartridge variations will not affect horizontal accuracy.

Do your initial adjustments at 7 yards so you can see the results without a spotting scope. If a pistol is accurate at 7 yards, it'll be just as accurate at 15 and 25 yards.

To adjust windage, draw a vertical dark line on a piece of paper that will be about the same thickness as your front sight at the distance you're shooting. Align the sights on the line ... don't worry about up and down, we only care about right or left ... and fire a 5-shot string. They should all be on the line. Adjust sights as needed.

To adjust elevation, draw a horizontal dark line on a piece of paper. Align the sights ... the front post and rear sight are on or just under the line ... don't worry about left or right, we only care about up or down ... and fire a 5-shot string. As before, they should all be on the line. Adjust sights as needed.

Once you're real close adjusting right/left and up/down independently then use a cross as a target and fine tune the results with 1- or 2-click adjustments.

Keep in mind, combat pistols aren't designed to out ten shots in one hole at 25 yards so the results will never be totally precise.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts