close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

sighting a Glock 31

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by kja97zt, Jan 9, 2007.

1. kja97zt

kja97zt

I have a Glock 31 and have been reading through the forum to learn what I should do, where to go, etc. to sight my Glock 31. I've only shots a few hundred rounds, and it always seems to go down and to the left. This has happened with multiple people shooting it, so I know it's not an unsteady hand on my part. I've always used UMC 357 SIG (yellow box, 50 rounds in a box I think). Any ideas on what ammo would be best, where I can take it to get some professional help to sight it (and test fire, of course)? I live in Portland, OR.

2. PP914

PP914

Have you been through any firearms training? Have you tried using a bench rest when shooting? (Just to rule out any "personnel malfunctions".)

3. kja97zt

kja97zt

No firearms training, yes on bench rest.

4. PP914

PP914

How far away from your traget are you and how far off POA are you?

ETA: Which rear sight do you have?
    [​IMG]

5. kja97zt

kja97zt

I have a 10mm .45 caliber .357 (long bar, then shorter bar on top of that) on the right hand side of the sight.

I don't remember the size or distance of the targets last time I shot at the gun range. My guess is a circular target 24 inches in diameter at a distance of 15 yards would hit near the lower left corner of the target when I think I'm aiming at dead center.

6. watsoncb

watsoncb CLM

PP914.... May be he is asking which way to turn the sight screw on a Glock's adjustable sights? Clockwise vs counterclockwise. I am not sure myself which way moves the sights left to right and which screw moves up and down.

7. AusShane

AusShane

Why does it have 2 different sights for 357? i did read somewhere the 31 and 32 come standard with slightly higher impact version

8. PP914

PP914

I think it probably just the way you're amnipulating the trigger/pistol. Some first time GLOCKers seem to have issues with feeling out the trigger action on them. COnsult the following chart:

[​IMG]

I would bet that you're flinching or anticipating the shot, coupled with a "poor" grip and trigger press. No disrespect, this is just usually the culprit.

See if you can find someone experienced and verifiably "good" with GLOCKs. There should also be a rangemaster/safety officer at your range that should be an experienced shooter who can help diagnose this. It will probably take some one on one.

9. smittyj

smittyj

A friend had the same problem with a XD45. I shoot the gun at the same distance with the same ammo and was dead on. He was anticipating the recoil and didn’t have his finger at the right place. After he made the adjustments I subjected the problem was went away. I am not saying that this is your problem without watching you shoot and shooting the gun myself, but it is someplace to start.

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I've owned several Glocks over the past 18 years or so and none of them have ever needed a sight adjustment. On the other hand, I do have to correct my shooting from time to time, otherwise I tend to milk the grip, which causes me to shoot low and to the left. This is a very common problem for handgun shooters and seems to be even more common with Glocks. Work on your grip and trigger control, it is you, rather than the gun, that is shooting low/left.

It is a common enough error that I wouldn't start thinking it's the gun just because some other guy does the same, unless the other guy is a pretty serious, experienced Glock shooter (as in a winning competitor, not your neighbor who owns a lot of guns and goes to the range a lot).

11. watsoncb

watsoncb CLM