close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sight recommendation

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Consort, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Consort

Consort

Looking to replace the sights on my G19. Range instructor suggested Heinie Straight 8 night sights. Anyone have any experience with them? Other suggestions?

2. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

Check out Trijicon HDs.

3. bam1131

bam1131

Meprolight Tru-Dots...Orange rear sights, green front

4. Quarter Tank

Quarter Tank

Glock oem night sights. I think they are Mepros.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

I have these on my 27 and 22, except my rear sights are yellow. They're great.

6. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot

The Hinie's are a very good site! Defineately a step above. but also about 25-30% more costly.

The big dots and the TFO's have a good following as do the "stock" is best guys.

Personally I think any will suite the need. I will suggest a steel site all of these qualify but the TFO's are the least durable but not fragile.

Good luck,
    CW

7. 1eyedjack

1eyedjack Old Pirate

+1. Really fast sight picture in all lighting conditions...

8. Shinobi'sZ

Shinobi'sZ USN VFW

I'm using the Hex sight and I really like it. Faster target acquisition and I am on target more then my friends with custom 1911 Kimbers on the action pistol course.

9. dajcarroll

dajcarroll

I have Trijicons on both of mine. Not sure if they are the best out there, but they do the job for me.

10. truetopath

truetopath

I have Tru Glo night sights on my 27 and am very happy with them. I've heard people say that the front sight will work loose after a lot of shooting, but I can say it hasn't happened to me yet. I check everytime I clean it.

11. Clusterfrack

Clusterfrack

I have the Straight 8's on a 1911, and like the concept but prefer more traditional 3 dot sights. I use AmeriGlo Operator yellow rear/green front sights on my defensive Glocks, and Dawson adjustable fiber optic sights on my G34.

12. Keyhole

Keyhole

Trijicon HDs on my EDC G30 and .215 Sevigny Competition FO on my G34.

13. English

English

It depends what shooting you want to do. If you only expect to shoot in good light the Heinies are excellent - so are the Sevigny. For both I am going on the experience of good shooters rather than personal experience.

If you want to be able to shoot in bright light and at dusk and dawn or other dim lighting conditions the Tru Glo TFOs are brilliant. They are also excellent in the dark and I speak from personal experience here. The combination of light pipe and tritium covers all visual conditions as far as I can tell. They are sturdily made with good protection for the light pipe. In comparisson, the HiViz sights I had worked well in good light (both are very quick to pick up) but fell to pieces without any known abuse.

I have some Hex Sights and like the concept but the piece that goes into the dove tail broke when I tried to fit it. I got fed up with having spent so much money on them and gave up with the intention of sending the part back to Goshen, who is a very nice man, but I have not got round to it. This part is separate from the body of the sight so that it can be shimmed to give the right elevation. I suspect this is a bad design decision as it leaves the part thin and too weak - even with the super strength plastic it is made from.

If you are looking for maximum accuracy in good light the Heinie and Sevigny are the best. Three dot sights are not as easy to line up as though they are a patridge sight like the Heinies and my experience with all three dot and light pipe sights is that if the tops of the front and rear are in alignment the dots form a shallow triangle.

I think the concept of the Big Dots is wrong. They work best at short range because they are quick to pick up, but at longer range accuracy is very difficult. At the ranges they work well you can be faster and as accurate with point shooting if you practice.

English

14. 4Rules

4Rules

I use Heinie Straight-8 sights almost exclusively. What we want is to be able to quickly obtain and maintain focus on the front sight; we don't want to focus on the rear sight. While many others like a three-dot arrangement, I find that it makes the rear sight too distracting. A plain black rear sight looks great (except in darkness), but - in darkness - the rear dot of the Heinie adds real value, without being as distracting as a two-dot rear.

N.B.:

If you are going to buy Heinie, I suggest you consider the "Quik" (wider rear notch) and "Ledge" (vertical cut to facilitate sight racking) options.

Some front sights (e.g.: Ameriglo ProGlo, Trijicon HD) offer even higher visibility than the Heinie, and that is probably a big advantage.

15. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

4Rules, your comments reflect my thoughts and preferences exactly and hit all the important points. The Heine sights incorporate many excellent design features.

After using several other combinations of sights over the years, I found that the AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro night sights combined the best features of the Heine Straight Eight® dot-over-dot concept, the sharp angle of LEDGE™ for one-handed clearance ops, wider rear sight notch of QWIK™, and a highly visible front sight that Trijicon used for the HD™ sights. The AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro sights are shown below:

SW M&P I-Dot Pro sights in this picture are shown for front sight color comparison only.[​IMG]

For the OP (Consort), I wrote about the AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro night sights in a review posted at Glock Talk here: AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro Night Sights for the Glock 30

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  16. Clusterfrack

Clusterfrack

I agree with the last few posts--especially about the big dots. One thing I like about my Operators is that the rear vials are black rimmed and disappear in the light.

17. alexhartang

alexhartang

These are great. Anything really by them is good,, I have green on green

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

18. L Pete

L Pete

I have nothing but Heinie straight eights on all my Glocks. I love them, I see the plain old black sights better that any white or colored dots, as the dots seem to bleed over into each other with my old arthritic eyes. However, I still have the tritium sights for very low light conditions that work pretty quickly.

For me, Heinies are the best.

19. glockpeter

glockpeter

[​IMG]

[ame]http://youtu.be/IOYQ_jLyS_0[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/XnNRBY9oO24[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  20. leedesert

leedesert Diss--Member

I'll tell you what. I've used just about every conventional night sight system on the many Glocks I've carried. Trijicon, Heinie slant 8, Glock, Meps, and the best ones I've used are the ones I'm using now..the Tru-Glo TFO's. They are the only ones that give you the same sight picture and color day or night.
    The others had white painted circles or dots in the day and Tritium at night but the TFO's are on all the time. Day or night I see 3 green dots and the post fits perfect in the rear sight picture for accurate shots. Very well made and edges are smooth and tapered for no snagging.