close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

sight placement

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by twag4, Mar 24, 2010.

1. twag4

twag4

I have read the threads the last couple of days about rear sights. One of the OPs thinks his rear sight looks off or maybe not. My rear sight is significantly set to the right on the slide as I aim through it. A correct sight picture gives me good hits 50 feet and closer. It does the same when put in a stand. Is this a bad thing? I only have one glock, a gen 3 model 22. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it is not unusual for the sight to be right of center on a full sized glock, but I cannot find the place where I originally read it. I have an MGW rear sight tool and can adjust it at will. It works for me, but should it be centered? BTW I have mep green/green night sight.

2. vram74

vram74

My New G19 came with the rear sights set moreso to the right as well. I checked a G17 and a G26 from two different stores and theirs were also set more to the right.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010

3. GOA Guy

GOA Guy

Some of my Glocks needed sight adjustment out of the box. Most of those were off to the left and required the rear sight be moved to the right. Elevation has been pretty good in my experience. I've only had one piece that required a taller rear sight. If you are shooting centered groups at the top or slightly above the front sight at 50' to 75' you are good. Remember different loads may have a different point of impact.

4. Robby6Pack

Robby6Pack

I was a few inches left when I got my 23. I was positive that it was "ME". I shot my Sig and all was good. I shot some more and had tight groups, just left. I then shot my buddy's 19, and was good. Had the smith adjust my sight right and was good. My sight is pretty far right to keep me in the center at 25 yds. I thought that it might be "ME" with the .40 and it would probably get better with time. Nope. I bought a 27 and the sights are centered on the gun, and I am centered on the target too.

Good luck.

Robby T

5. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

Why would you move it if it works for you?

Shoot more, worry less.

6. twag4

twag4

I wasn't considering moving it. I was more concerned about a potential problem with my firearm. I traded out an Enterprise ghost ring sight which came on the gun with a plastic glock front. It was a new gun but the dealer had installed the sight. He then had a hard time selling the gun and I got it reasonably priced. I shot about 1400 rounds using that sight and could never come to grips with it. I hated it. So I got the Meprolight NS and it sits way further right than the ghost ring did. I have probably shot 600-700 rounds through the NS over the last two months, and I like it other than the fact it sits way right on the frame. I took excruciating measures to ensure the front sight was alligned and centered per the instructions, and then the rear sits that way. It really doesn't bother me aesthetically, but I wondered if maybe my gun has an issue. That's all. Thanks to all who replied!

7. Tommy Kelly

Tommy Kelly

I replaced a set of night sights because the front one was damaged and didn't glow. I centered the rear sight on the pistol and replaced the front and it shoots to poa. I bought the pistol used and the sights were centered on it originally. I have bought 2 more new and the sights came centered on the slide and all 3 shoot to poa fine. This is at 25 yds that is where I do most of my target shooting. I'm just a plinker I don't do target shooting with a handgun but at 25 yds I can usually keep a clip load of bullets in about a 2"circle with all of my 3 glocks a 9mm a 45 or my 40. G17,21,22. I have changed out the connectors on 2 of them and will replace the other one soon to get the triggers better than the way they came. The stock glock trigger is not set up for accurate shooting but can be improved a lot cheaply. Also if you don't like it you can put it back like it came in just a few minutes. That's a lot better than honing a trigger down to make it better you cant put metal back once its removed.

8. Robby6Pack

Robby6Pack

The point of movable sights is so you can hit your target. If you were to drop in a different barrel, or use a different slide, you would have a different point of impact. With the specific components on that gun, things might not be centered.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010