Sight Picture Surprise

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by unit1069, Nov 17, 2019.

1. fredj338

fredj338

My point, everything shoots flat enough to make hits to 50y with poa/poi. COM, center of mass; wag, wild azz guess. "Center hold" is poa/poi pretty much to 50y.
    Yeah, give me a frickin break. "leave me alone"? What you need a safe space??:help:

Fatboy2001 likes this.
  2. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

My experience with my eyesight using different sights, is I cannot pickup dark or black sights in dim light, even some shade during the day or if aimed black sights on a dark target/ object.

So in the field I use

Dull brass bead front or
    Red ramp white outline such as S&W

Three dot sights:
    Three dot sights are very common. Both painted and night sights.

Due to tritium vial diameter , many night sights use the three dot viles and some have paint around them such as trij HD.

So the night sights in dim light I cannot pick up the black metal edge, so essentially see the three dots.
    Therefore I use the combat hold.
    There are other night sights such as Heine but I chose to standardize with the more common three dot.

Target shooting
    If target shooting then the black target sight with no dots would be good for the center hold.
    But I do not own any such sights.

glock1097 likes this.

3. fredj338

fredj338

Try a fiber optic (FO) front sight. In any kind of daylight, very bright, very easy to see quickly. For defensive shooting, just getting the front sight on the target out to 21ft or so is a decent hit. They do work at night but you need some sort of light source like a flashlight or weapon light or decent ambient light.

Caver 60 likes this.
  4. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

I like this sight picture

images.jpeg

fredj338 likes this.
  5. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

I did not mention FO.

I use Williams fire sights on my Ruger Mark III.

For my SD handguns I use tritium night sights.

Also have a hand held light for night and low ambient.

Even as a teenager with good eyesight black sights in the field were my least favorite.

fredj338 and glock1097 like this.
  6. fredj338

fredj338

As I get older I am thinking an optic is not a bad way to go. So I am putting together a G19 upper for next year in with a RMR. I know they can be fast in transitions for multiple shots but not sure about first shot hits. It takes getting used to but one can always shoot off the slide for closer distances like under 21ft. I'll run it in idpa for awhile & if I like it, I might start carrying it.

7. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

If you are seeing "the shots and the POI" it's probably about time to learn the fundamentals of pistol shooting because you are looking at the wrong thing when you shoot. Even worse for combat shooting, there probably won't be a "pumpkin" on a guy's chest for you to aim below and if you are looking at the target, you are probably not going to see anything - holes won't show up like it's paper.

What does that have to do with a 6 o'clock hold? I guess if you jerk the trigger you can shoot the guy in the cojones?

Caver 60 and glock1097 like this.
  8. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

I need a lot of safe spaces - hope your happy in yours.
    :animlol:

9. Schrag4

Schrag4

Center hold is the only one that makes any bit of sense to me. combat-sighting means you can't see the target. The other is "bullseye?" which means you'll hit, well, somewhere above the top of the front sight, who knows where, though. Center hold is the only one, in my view, where you actually know where the point of impact will be.

10. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

"...it's probably about time to learn the fundamentals of pistol shooting.."
    Thanks for the advice! :animlol:

11. fredj338

fredj338

As I get older I am thinking an optic is not a bad way to go. So I am putting together a G19 upper for next year in with a RMR. I know they can be fast in transitions for multiple shots but not sure about first shot hits. It takes getting used to but one can always shoot off the slide for closer distances like under 21ft. I'll run it in idpa for awhile & if I like it, I might start carrying it.
    i dont need or seek safe space.

12. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

I suggest the SRO instead of an RMR. the window is bigger and battery changes can be done without remounting. once you get used to it, you wont want anything but a red dot optic.

13. fredj338

fredj338

I have shot the rso, like it but its getting a bit big for ccw, but we are splittng hairs on size.

14. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

you wont even notice the difference. I carry a G23 IWB and OWB, and for carry, the optic is not even noticeable, but the performance is.

fredj338 likes this.