Glock Talk banner

Sight Height Issue on CCO

4K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  ArmoryDoc 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking for some advice from some fellow shooters on an issue I'm having with my DW CCO.

I took it to the range for the first time and found it was shooting way high (7.5") as detailed here:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=299706

My calculation in the above thread was a bit off due to my short changing the sight radius. Based on my corrected calculations using a 5.25" (Commander) sight radius, it looks like I need another .04375" of height over the factory installed .150" sight. My calculation looked like this:

(Amount of error X sight radius) / Distance to Target = Correction Required

(7.5 X 5.25) / 900 = .04375

Seemed like a .195" high sight ought to do it.

I tried calling DW last Monday and got the "everyone's at SHOT" story--"try again after the 24th". I went ahead and detailed my experience in an email and attached the photo showing my target.

Much to my surprise, I got an email this evening from Keith at DW saying:

"I have never seen any of our guns shoot more than 4” high at 25 yards. To account for your impacts you would need a .080” taller front sight. This is impossible. I would suggest trying again with standard ball ammo."

I shot the group in the linked thread with 230gr ammo and shot similar groups using 200gr SWC ammo.

Is this "impossible", or am I losing my "enlightenment"?

Edited to add: Since DW doesn't appear too interested in helping me solve this issue, my next step will be to take the sight off of my Valor (.190") and see if it gets me close. If it does, I'll be sure to email Keith a picture of the "miracle".

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
That's horse*****, if you pay THAT much money for a gun, they should fix it no questions asked. If you've not had several people test it, do that and see if they have the same results. Also, try a few different manufactures of ammo. If it's still off I'd raise hell. If it's truly the pistol, DW needs to fix it, on their dime. There's no way I would pay my money to try different sight combos just to get the right one!

Or, you could take this "opportunity" to just put new sights on if that's what you desire.

#5 ·
Nope, shot correctly. Just mentioning the rear sight because it might be too tall. When I had a .375" rear sight on one of my Springfields, it shot 6" high. When I changed it to a .325" it was dead on.

Got the .375" 10-8 sight since it was recommended, but learned that isn't the case.

#6 ·
Nope, shot correctly. Just mentioning the rear sight because it might be too tall. When I had a .375" rear sight on one of my Springfields, it shot 6" high. When I changed it to a .325" it was dead on.

Got the .375" 10-8 sight since it was recommended, but learned that isn't the case.
Thanks again--I'll measure my rear sight when I get home. At least I've got a couple of options without having to rely on DW CS.

#8 · (Edited)
Wow Quack, you nailed it. I measured my rear sight, and sho nuff, it's .375"

Edited to add: Bad measuring on my part--it's actually .325"

Checked all of my other 1911s and they all have .325" rear sights except for my EMP 40 which is somewhere around .350"

I'll email DW and see what they have to say.

#10 ·
Tyler,

I think you can shoot...so you do have a issue. This is a bad time for a small gun business because of SHOT. But be persistent and Keith will fix it.
Yep, and email being what it is, I probably took Keith's "impossible" comment a little too personally. I'm sure he deals with a good share of inexperienced folks who aren't necessarily fanatics like most of us here.

I'll be patient.

#11 ·
Tyler,
You hit the nail on the head. I talk to lots of people in the gun business and they talk to all kinds of dingbats all day long. It may not be right, but Keith may assume (wrongfully) that you are a wingnut that is complaining about a POI issue when you couldn't hit a barn a 5 foot. Get in contact with him and explain in detail you issue in a pleasant manner.

I think you will see results.

#15 ·
Tyler!!! I'm sooooo sorry. Flu season has hit my household and between the Robitussin and Petron I measured the rear wrong. It is indeed .325.

I was wondering how the heck Quack got the .325 only to find out I'm the one with double vision.:wavey:

#16 · (Edited)
Wow Quack, you nailed it. I measured my rear sight, and sho nuff, it's .375"

Checked all of my other 1911s and they all have .325" rear sights except for my EMP 40 which is somewhere around .350"
That's why i get paid the big bucks and don't work much, just ask knedrgr. :animlol:

The EMP is .375"

#17 · (Edited)
Tyler!!! I'm sooooo sorry. Flu season has hit my household and between the Robitussin and Petron I measured the rear wrong. It is indeed .325.

I was wondering how the heck Quack got the .325 only to find out I'm the one with double vision.:wavey:
No worries--I appreciate the effort. Although, your first measurement had me wondering.

I'm guessing that skyscraper rear sight is the source of my issues.

Edited to add: Not so much--it was the short front.

#20 ·
That's horse*****, if you pay THAT much money for a gun, they should fix it no questions asked. If you've not had several people test it, do that and see if they have the same results. Also, try a few different manufactures of ammo. If it's still off I'd raise hell. If it's truly the pistol, DW needs to fix it, on their dime. There's no way I would pay my money to try different sight combos just to get the right one!

Or, you could take this "opportunity" to just put new sights on if that's what you desire.
+1 . They should have said send it to us and we will look at it.

I would try having someone else shoot it just to see how high they shoot it.

#21 ·
Well, I took some real measurements with the sights off of the slide and found my front is actually .140" and rear is .325". Measuring sight height on the slide is hard. :dunno:

Decided I needed to take another trip to the range with some 230gr ball ammo and try the front sight from my Valor which is .190". The .190" sight shot pretty close to POA, but still a tad high.

Grouping isn't quite as tight due to the bright sun on my white target and the distractions from the concealed carry class going on at the range this morning.

After discussion with Keith at DW, the slide is in the mail for installation of a taller front sight. Thinking a .195" would be spot-on, but don't know if they make one.

[/IMG]

#22 ·
good to hear it is being take care of.

Well, I took some real measurements with the sights off of the slide and found my front is actually .140" and rear is .325". Measuring sight height on the slide is hard. :dunno:
when i measure the front sight with it installed, use the other side of the caliper (farthest part away from the display) as a depth caliper. ;)

#23 ·
Just got my slide back from DW. They installed a .180" front sight. I went back and measured the front sight on my Valor and it looks like it may be .180" vs .190" like I thought. All depends on how you hold the calipers. Best bet is to do like Quack suggested and use the other end of the calipers with the protrusion to check height on the slide.

I took it out to the range and all is good. Still maybe an inch or so high, but I can live with that compared to the previous version.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.