Sig556

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by AZ Husker, Feb 13, 2010.

1. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Seriously considering purchasing one of the Sig 556 rifles, but it sure is confusing as to which model. I'm not one for add-ons or tacticool stuff. Would the Classic be the right one for me?

2. djegators

djegators

I've been considering them myself, and although I do not own one, I have looked at quite a few. Here is what I have seen:

SIG 556 Classic, with SIG red dot, and rear diopter. Has the 'classic' hand guards, and folding Swiss stock.

The other options I have seen, have a AR type collapsible stock, and some have a heavier rail hand guard system. Most models will have some variation of these options. Only other differences I have seen, are some have a shorter hand guard. Looks like you want the classic, so might as well get the one with the rear diopter sight..otherwise you will end up buying one anyways, as the flip up rear sight is crap. Anyways, my two cents is that the classic with diopter and red dot is the best 'deal' even though it cost a little more. Otherwise, I would go with the cheapest model, most likely with the rail hand guard, and change them later if so desired.

3. Kozel

Kozel

I bought Sig Commando. Folding, collapsible stock. You open up the Sig up and find AK inside. Very AR-ised AK.

If you want tons of tacticool stuff on your Sig you will need Sig SWAT. All those extra rails. Almost bought one of those, too pricey for me but I am a sucker for folding stocks so I got me Commando.

4. wayne in boca

wayne in boca

Don't waste your money on the SIG red dot scope.It's,how shall I put this,crap.A 50 dollar Chinese scope for two hundred bucks.My 556 is one of the older ones with the AR-type stock.I like it a lot.They are not producing them anymore.People seem to like the Classics.

5. Milesmaster

Milesmaster

556 is a great AR!
    I worked a lot with the 550 series and I put them over all others AR.
    the AK i good too, very good, but io the cugin poor of the family.

Go for 556 simple fantasic! with AR mags!

6. djegators

djegators

The 556 is not an AR, but SIG is releasing a piston AR this year.

7. Milesmaster

Milesmaster

8. djegators

djegators

What's that??? :dunno:

9. cmspeedy

cmspeedy

I am selling a Sig 556 right now (interested?) and just sold another and here is my take. The one I have is a new unfired newer designed Sig 556. I just got rid of my first 556 which had the 2 tone upper/lower finish and an Aimpoint micro T1. I didn't shoot it nearly as much as I had anticipated although when I sold it - it had only 1600 rounds through it.

The guns are front heavy even with the pencil thin barrel, which quickly heats up. The gun is not nearly as quick as an AR due to the added weight. I wanted a battle rifle, not a safe queen.

The guns are reliable, but accuracy is not as good as an AR with a match barrel, which can be had for the same price. I can clean every part of an AR15 with my eyes closed. Not so with a Sig 556. Maybe after several years of working with it.

Lack of parts availability. Say you want to put a match barrel, heavy barrel, short barrel....on your Sig 556. Good luck - as no one has spent the time to start producing these parts. You can find ANYTHING for an AR and chances are you will find the parts in your home town.

Sig just started producing a gas piston AR15 variant. IMO that was an acknowledgment that the AR is a great battle rifle and in some ways superior to the 556. The light weight and simplicity of the AR15 platform are awesome....combine that with the amount of competent gunsmiths in your area who will know an AR15 like the back of their hand and the choice should be clear.

I went back to the AR15 platform and unless something revolutionary (maybe the ACR, but I am waiting 5 years or so) comes along I don't plan on looking back.

The Sig 556 is a great rifle - I just feel that much better values exist.

10. Billet

Billet

The Classic is a good choice if you want to keep the weight down and don't want to add a lot to it later. IMO, the folding stock is one of the rifle's best features, so the early non-folding 556 would be last on my list.

11. Gdirty5

Gdirty5

I would imagine the sig 556 patrol rifle would be lighter than the classic. It is basically the pistol with a longer barrel and folding stock. The classic has a longer piston/hand guard

12. Kozel

Kozel

Now there is an oxymoron if I ever heard one!

They did away with signature AR gas system and replaced it with piston and by doing that it is an “acknowledgment that the AR is a great battle rifle and in some ways superior”.

Without direct impingement system AR is not an AR anymore it maybe HK 416 or something like that. If anything replacing that idiotic gas system is late (by few decades) acknowledgement of what a complete failure AR system was. Propped up by politics of US Government for decades but failure non the less.

13. stonestreet

stonestreet Glocklover

Picked up a SIG 556 SWAT yesterday. Haven't shot it yet but I took it apart and put it back together and just feeling it in my hands I think it feels pretty good. With just the iron sights and completely factory stock, it is noticeably heavier than my AR-15 with a holo scope, VFG, and rail mounted flash light combined! As for the other version without the rails, a friend of mines hand guard broke.

14. mikeyU

mikeyU

I would like to check out one of their .308 piston ar, takes M1A mags, kinda intrests me, and their other ar's may be something interesting.

15. cmspeedy

cmspeedy

What a shock - an AR hater. Complete failure!! :rofl::rofl:

and even though it has a piston added to the upper - It's an AR. S&W makes a very good one (with a piston)as do a handful of other companies. Why did all of those companies invest all of that money upgrading the AR platform - BECAUSE IT IS A GREAT WEAPON, but just as any weapon does it still had room for improvement.

Do you think the Sig 556 series has the amount of R&D in todays modern AR's - NOT EVEN CLOSE......Orders of magnitudes separate the two. Believe me it shows in the field.

Weight has plenty to do with it - carry a rifle all day - in the field - with your combat gear and something tells me you would value greatly having an M-4 over a 556. One superior point.

Ask a few of our enemies how badly the AR failed. Oh wait they are a dead because of PRECISELY placed shots though our highly accurate AR variants.....and yes an equally priced AR is more accurate than a SIG 556 IMO and I have shot plenty through both. Two superior points.

Pencil thin barrel on the Sig. Heats up quick and BYE BYE accuracy. Three superior points.

Parts availability. Four superior points.

I can go on and on and on.......

and if your still curious - pick up a copy of "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Lutrell and tell me what a POS his mk12 was. If you haven't read it go straight to the book store and buy it, drink tons of coffee, and read it tonight - get back with me tomorrow.

I have a 556 and just sold another - I am familiar with their operation, and I would take an AR (yes, even a non-piston variant) any day of the week.

The Sig 556's are good guns, but for roughly $1,500 you can get a very nice AR that will outshoot the Sig.

He already bought his 556 so the deed is done. I won't be buying anymore and just plan on building more POS AR's out of the lowers that I have.....and I don't even plan on putting pistons in em.....guess the government bureaucracy won't let me do it.

There is something to be said for simplicity.

You guys are suckers for the marketing.

I'm even here trying to sell a 556 and am giving you my opinion on the weak points - some just can't some to terms with reality.

16. Kozel

Kozel

You can repeat it until you are blue in the face but AR with piston on it is not AR anymore. Totally different operating system. AR was designed with that idiotic direct impingement system. It was the defining feature of the AR, the super duper “self cleaning” system which will make gun run forever without cleaning. Even cleaning kits were not issued to the troops because they were sent into war with that "wonder weapon".

and how many best and bravest of this country died because their Government sent them into battle very inferior weapon?

“Well, the tests are complete and it seems the M4 came in dead last against its competitors.”

http://defensetech.org/2007/12/17/m4-comes-in-last-place-in-dust-test/

There are plenty of accurate weapons that are much more reliable then M-16 on top of that.

17. cmspeedy

cmspeedy

Well having owned and shot both the 556 and AR's I have formed my own opinions. I have owned multiple SKS's and AK's, and I have my opinions on those.

I told you what I think of the 556 - go buy one, send a few thousand rounds downrange, carry one around your land for a few days, get it dusty, treat it as a tool - USE IT AS INTENDED and form your own opinion.

To the OP - Sorry for hijacking your thread. I'm done with the 20 year old argument - both sides of the fence are firmly planted in place and these threads never end well.