close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sig Sauer reliability compared to Glocks

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by betyourlife, May 15, 2006.

1. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

I am curious to know what you guys think about Sig reliability compared to Glock.

Glocks are very tough, but I am dismayed that SF don't seem to care for the gun. Esp. SEAL's who would appreciate a highly corrosion resistant pistol.

2. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Have both.
    No problems with either brand.
    :supergrin:

3. J. Parker

J. Parker

I've had many of both.:supergrin: For some reason or other I'm a big Sig-Sauer fan. Probably because I started with Sigs and then went to Glocks. I fought the Glock magnet for years just sayin' or thinkin' "they ain't all that" but the fact is they are all that and more. Stupid me. Here's my experience with both:

The only malfunction I had with a Glock was with an older G21 which had "tired" springs I'm sure. I've had many Glock's now and all have been 100% reliable and I would and do carry a Glock daily for self-defense.
    Sig's are scary....I know that's a stupid statement but in all the years and all the sigs and all the thousands of rounds sent downrange, I swear, I have yet to have a malfunction of anykind. I like Sigs, I respect Sigs, and carry one on occasion. I know, I know, are they worth the extra bucks? YES.

Hugs and kisses..............John

4. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

5. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

I've owned about six or seven Glocks and two Sigs.
    My only Glock now is a 17L longslide. 100% since day one.
    I have a hard time trusting any pistol that has failed for any reason other than bad ammo or something else that you can't blame the pistol for.
    All my other Glocks have had some type of failure, usually an occasional failure to feed.
    I had a Sig P226 9mm that was flawless exept for the first day. It was used and unlubed when I bought it. Completely dry. I went straight to the range (10 degrees)and had a few FTF's.
    A couple drops of oil would have cured that. 100% ever since. Sig have a full length slide rail that must have just a little lube. I use grease now because it won't drain or wick away.
    My best pistol ever is a Sig P226ST in .40. 100% reliable and a great trigger. Suprisingly accurate too and the stainless frame is just what the doctor ordered for the .40 caliber.
    Summary? In my experience Sigs are more reliable in general, but they need just a little lube.
    Sigs are also easier to hit the target with, which is the primary reliability factor IMO.

6. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

7. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

Don't everybody rush to answer at the same time...:freak: :supergrin:

8. Trailside22

Trailside22

I have had about the same luck with both, which is both are great. I had a G17 malfuntion due to weak mag springs. I had a 229 malfuntion due to a weak hammer spring. Both are great and I would trust my life to either.

9. mouser

mouser CLM

About a month ago, I bought a police trade-in P220. I've got about 600 rounds through it with nary a hiccup of any kind.
    The only difficulty I've had with my G19 (~6k rounds) is a couple of FTEs, and it turned out that those were from a bad magazine (Scherer, now discarded). With factory mags, no "events" whatsoever.
    So, I'd say equally high reliability between those two.

10. buddyRoland

buddyRoland Proud Pop

I own 7 Sigs, have owned 11 Sigs. I have never had a weapons malfunction in over 12K rounds. Never.

11. 40SX

40SX

I own 7 Sigs and 3 Glocks and my girlfriend has a Glock. Out of those guns I had only 1 problem with a Sig and that was an ammo problem. I have an on going problem with one of the Glocks, and it is not related to an ammo problem. I think Sig are worth the extra cost.

Dennis

12. jonathon

jonathon Bowtie Freak

Have a Glock 21 and a SIG p220. Only have around 500 rounds through the SIG.. barely 200 on the Glock. Though before getting my own 21, I borrowed and shot my dad's quite a bit(3000+ rounds).

No problems with either pistol. Personal preference goes to the Glock. I know I can service it myself, and I know I'm backed by their customer service, which is one of the best in the firearms industry.

Though, I thoroughly enjoy the SIG.

13. wolfy692005

wolfy692005 pro tinkerer

preffer the sig..glocks just dont fit me... good luck

14. Wojownik

Wojownik

15. J. Parker

J. Parker

I read the "torture test". I'm impressed! As I said I'm a big Sig-Sauer fan. IMO, Sig-Sauers are high quality pistols. There are high quality pistols and then there are "less" than high quality pistols. What you rate as "high quality" is simply up to you.:)

~John

16. 390ish

390ish

Prefer the Sig 226.

17. nerfman

nerfman

Some years ago I read an article about the Ohio(?) State Patrol and the eval they did when deciding on a new sidearm for troopers. The P226 came out on top and was the only entry to operate at 100%. Glock was close. I wish I had a copy of that article as I've since bought a P226 in .357Sig and would like to re-read it. I now prefer it to my G19, BTW.

18. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

I read that test too.
    That was one of the largest tests ever from the number of pistols tested and the number of participants/rounds downrange.
    IIRC, there was one failure from one Sig, the next closest was about 40 if memory serves.
    H&K did suprisingly poorly.

19. 1991

1991 Stainless

I let you know as soon as any of my Sigs or my son's Glock have a problem.

20. B Coyote

B Coyote

My Glocks and SIG have all been 100%.

bc