close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SIG Sauer P220 or Glock 21-Need Honest Appraisals

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by RAH, Aug 7, 2002.

1. RAH

RAH Keep The Change Millennium Member

My buddy is in the market for a full size 45 and he's narrowed his choices to a SIG Sauer P220 or a Glock 21. He likes the P220's feel and DA/SA pulls but he likes the recoil characteristics of the Glock 21 better. The P220 sells for $679 and the Glock 21 for $600. I know the prices are high but around here everything is more expensive. For those that own, have owned or have tried both, which do you prefer and why? Thanks all. ;b

2. Mwinter

Mwinter I'm MilkMan Dan

The 220 is one of the few guns that I prefer, caliber-to-caliber, over the Glocks.
    The 220 fits my hand MUCH better, and the trigger isn't so bad once you break the gun in and get used to it. With the Glock 21/30, you have a verrrrry fat grip and an overall larger gun....if hi-caps were't so bloody expensive it might be worth it, but as it stands I'll take the 220.
    FYI if memory serves the 220 barrel is a lil shorter than the 21; that loss in velocity might/might not be a concern to your friend. I'd suggest he goes with whichever gun HE shoots the best and whichever one fits his hand the best; both work fine in my experience.

3. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

I own two G21's, but have a shooting buddy who shoots a 220, so I've ahd a chance to compare the two pistols. I found the Sig to be accurate, but absolutely hate the first trigger pull. I don't particularly like the follow-up trigger pulls, either. I absolutely don't like the high bore axis of the 220, nor the paucity of the mag capacity. G21 mags haven't been expensive for me. I got four when I bought my original G21, prior to the ban, and they still work and look great. I've picked up a couple since then @ $40 each, (FML's) and that's enough for me. I like the fact that repairs/parts are easier/cheaper on the Glocks, and that caliber conversions, eg., .40 Super, .400 Cor-Bon, etc., seem to be easier/cheaper with the Glocks. I'm just partial to my .45 and 9mm Glocks. The grip of the G21 isn't too fat for me. As a matter of fact, I use AGrips over Hogues on my 3rd Gen G21's and on my G30 and G17.

4. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

The most important factor, IMO, is which one feels better to the potential owner (grip, trigger, etc). They're both guns with excellent reliability. The Sig p220 is my favorite "full-size" handgun :)

Oh, and you can save a few bucks by buying on gunbroker, etc. Shipping and FFL fees should be less than local sales tax on a gun this expensive, so don't let those fees scare you off.

5. TLHelmer

TLHelmer Millennium Member

Sig 220 two tone!;3

6. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

the 220 feels/points better in my hand, mag release is much better and it's a good looking gun but that's about it. members at the sigforum board say fail to fire or extract is common in the first 200 rds. i've seen complaints of rusting, usually the mag release.

the 21 was not for me, i had one for a short time. it will be far more durable and reliable, you can do any work yourself and will be easier/cheaper to find parts/mags/holsers etc.

your friend needs to handle and hopefully shoot both.

7. Glock21Owner

Glock21Owner NRA Life Member

I've shot them both and prefer the 21, with a Hogue sleeve grip.

8. RAH

RAH Keep The Change Millennium Member

Thanks all for the responses. I'll pass on the information.

9. Ian11

Ian11

.........OH! The Guns of Brixton! ;f

10. scotty45

scotty45

On a non-firearm note: It is sweet to see two references to the greatest album ever: That's right kids, "London Calling" by The Clash is #1 -- and that is not negotiable. And I doubt RAH and Ian11 will put up too much of a fuss!;)

Okay, my 2 cents here to RAH:

Besides the obvious love in my heart for my experience with Glocks and 1911s, there is only one other firearm that can equal those, and that is the Sig P220. I put several hundred through one without any flaw/failure of ANY sort. That gun was built like a tank and felt like a big Mercedes to me. The GLock is lighter and feels weird to be sure, but I felt if I blindfolded myself and spun around in circles(a la Pinata), I could still at least hit the paper if not the rings on the paper. What a phenomenal handgun! By the way I don't recommend firing one blindfolded!)

I love the 21 and the 220, but they are each different and better in different ways. I grew to hate the first DA pull of the Sig, and don't dig it for that sole defensive reason. If you are going to the range and just want to fire some target shots, then you are in the SA mode more often than not and the 220 is sweet. I am sold on Glocks for defensive purposes. And, the G21 is a rockin' choice!

Take care! ;a

11. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad NRA Patriot Life Member

Have your friend look at the Sig 220ST. The all stainless adds a lot of weight to the pistol, but once you fire it, you'll fall in love with it. I own a Sig 220ST, Glock 21, and a Glock 30. Guess which one I carry? The 30, of course. The 30 is one truly amazing pistol. It will outshoot both the 220 and the 21. There is something truly mystical about the ability of a pistol that size! The only solution to your friends problem is to buy them all. You can never have enough.

12. Greg W

Greg W

If it is between the 21 and 220 I pick the 21. I currently own a 220 and have owned a 21. The Sig is one great looking gun. The Glock is a better defensive gun. I can never get used to the 220's two trigger pulls.

I would pick the 30 over both the 220 and the 21 though. The 30 is perfect size and shoots so sweet. It has become my favorite Glock of all time.

Greg

13. Mad

Mad

I don't have anything new to say. I have a 30, 21 and 220. IMO the 220 is like the benz of hand guns , it's a good shooter but I do not like the double/single action trigger therefore I hardly take it out. I like to shoot the 21, carry the 30, and admire the 220. IMO the glock is the down and dirty combat gun. Also, I like having the extra rounds a glock mag provides.

14. Paratwa

Paratwa

P220 fits my hand better than the 21.
    ;Q

15. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Have owned both.

P220 may have been a slight bit more accurate but it developed rust spots and broke springs.

Got a G21 and couldn't be happier.