Glock Talk banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
SIG America is well known for using customers as beta testers. I think that the Spear is well developed enough to put trust in since that GIs had been putting the XM5 through its paces for the last two years. The Spear light? I’ll wait for a few years yet and let the bugs get ironed out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
One cool thing about the Spear Light is that it comes in 7.62x39 as well. Alas it uses the crappy AR-style mag instead of AK mag. I understand that SIG America doesn’t want to modify the lower receiver, hence they’re sticking with that silly 7.62 banana curve mag instead of AK. Nonetheless the interesting package is ruined by the use of that crappy mag design.
Agreed. Pity they didn't go with an AK mag, but I understand why. Still the CMMG Mutant needs some competition...

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
This rifle doesn’t replace the M4A1. Its larger brethren the M5 replaces the M4A1.
The Spear replaces the URGI. Crayon-eaters, rock-painters, weekend warriors, and chair force still have the M16A4 and M4A1. But when those get replaced the Spear LT is the best choice.

·
AAAMAD
36,536 Posts
I'm not in the slightest bit interested in a $6 to $7K AR. I am interested in the .277 Fury round, and if and when I can get some brass, I will figure it out for a build.
RCC can make you brass, he made me several hundred pieces for my 8 bore and makes a lot for ELR guys who are running hand loads over max data. It’s tough stuff.

·
AAAMAD
36,536 Posts
One cool thing about the Spear Light is that it comes in 7.62x39 as well. Alas it uses the crappy AR-style mag instead of AK mag. I understand that SIG America doesn’t want to modify the lower receiver, hence they’re sticking with that silly 7.62 banana curve mag instead of AK. Nonetheless the interesting package is ruined by the use of that crappy mag design.
Just get some Chinese flat back AK mags and modify them to fit AR’s like the guys did in Vietnam

·
Semper Paratus
31,075 Posts
My $800 Tread has superb fit and finish, miles ahead of any M&P15/Sport II. Every single AR stock has a tiny amount of forward and back play in it, from MagPul to OEMs to LWRC stocks, etc.
no they don't, and it's an entirely different stock that has side to side play

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
SIG America is well known for using customers as beta testers. I think that the Spear is well developed enough to put trust in since that GIs had been putting the XM5 through its paces for the last two years. The Spear light? I’ll wait for a few years yet and let the bugs get ironed out.
What bugs does it have that you speak of?

·
Registered
25,476 Posts
The ones that SIG America tends to send out with guns they sell to civilians. However you’re welcome to be SIG America’s Guinea pig.
I agree. Sig tends to use customers as beta testers. Then they come out with the V2 of the platform that is incompatible with V1 and no longer support v1

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
No. The M5 Spear replaces the M4A1 for front line combat soldiers.

Crayon Eaters already got M27 as replacement for their Mattel toys.
The Doggies are getting the Spear (Army Grunts)
Marines haven’t completely replaced the M4 with the M27. My nephew is a Corporal with 2nd Battalion 1st Marines. He is an 0311 and is a squad leader. He’s carrying an M4. A recent pic of him. He use to carry an M27. Marine Grunts are souring a bit on the M27. The one on the bottom was the day before the bombing at the airport in AStan platoon Sgt was killed and another marine in his platoon too. He was wounded. My nephew Devin was using an M27 along with his buddy. Once he picked of squad leader he went with the M4. Many like it more then the M27.
Camouflage Cargo pants Military camouflage Ballistic vest Marines
Camouflage Cargo pants Plant Military camouflage Ballistic vest
Sky Cloud Cargo pants Military camouflage Marines
Camouflage Cargo pants Military camouflage Ballistic vest Marines
Camouflage Cargo pants Plant Military camouflage Ballistic vest
Sky Cloud Cargo pants Military camouflage Marines

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
The ones that SIG America tends to send out with guns they sell to civilians. However you’re welcome to be SIG America’s Guinea pig.
You didn’t answer the question. What bug does it have. You said it did. Just trying to figure what’s going on with this gun. You are the first to claim issues with the MCX Spear..

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
You didn’t answer the question. What bug does it have. You said it did. Just trying to figure what’s going on with this gun. You are the first to claim issues with the MCX Spear..
I didn’t say the Lite has problems. I said if it’s true to typical SIG America products released to civilians, then the customers will be the beta testers.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
The Doggies are getting the Spear (Army Grunts)
Marines haven’t completely replaced the M4 with the M27. My nephew is a Corporal with 2nd Battalion 1st Marines. He is an 0311 and is a squad leader. He’s carrying an M4. A recent pic of him. He use to carry an M27. Marine Grunts are souring a bit on the M27. The one on the bottom was the day before the bombing at the airport in AStan platoon Sgt was killed and another marine in his platoon too. He was wounded. My nephew Devin was using an M27 along with his buddy. Once he picked of squad leader he went with the M4. Many like it more then the M27. View attachment 1120453 View attachment 1120455 View attachment 1120459 View attachment 1120453 View attachment 1120455 View attachment 1120459
You’ve been in the military long enough to know that preferences meant squat. You carry what’s issued to you.

I’m sure that there are Marines who prefer M1911A1, M45A1, M9, M9A1, M007. Yet they’re going to get the M18 issued to them because The Corps said so. Right now the M27 is what Marine Infantry is getting. Who knows in the future, maybe the USMC might want to get the M5 and join in the fun.

Font Number

Mammal Font Screenshot Plant Working animal

·
Registered
577 Posts
As with muc of the talk on these forums , assumptions and everyone somehow has insider info that we don't....

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Or one can go with a company’s track record and avoid being the beta tester.
I completely understand your points. I can’t argue with that. Sig is very innovative. I think they rush a little to get a product out the door instead of developing it a bit more. They need to improve in this area. Their weapons are 2nd to none but along the lines of what you are saying is they do let the field (customers) give the feedback and then they make changes. Nobody likes that.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts