Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Share your thoughts on Sig 1911

The 2020 catalog really cut down the selections, will these even be around in the future?

How does the scorpion fastback compare to CBOB or Kobra?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Sig C3, very nice pistol, light weight, action is smooth as butter, and just an all around nice pistol. Very accurate.
I saw one of those for sale right after I checked the Sig 2020 catalog and saw they had been removed from the catalog and the website. So I passed. Sig had that C3 and a number of "compact" models with the officer length frame in years past. They all felt very nice in hand. Really nice gun though! Good to know it shoots as good as it looks.

But I am hoping that between GT and maybe 1911forum someone might have details to Sig's Future with 1911s. It seems like Sig is focusing solely on polymer anymore. Most of the 220/226/229s have moved under the legion house and a lot of the other offerings from those models are now obsolete.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have two of the Sig Max 1911s that were spec'd out by Max Michel (one in 9mm, one in .40S&W). I took off the Dawson Ice magwells and put on standard mag wells. Both had the series 80 safety parts removed and frame filler added. Both have Ed Brown 18# competition mainsprings. Trigger pulls are a crisp 3.75 pounds. They have both been 100% reliable for me. I do feel that in cartridges other than 45ACP (9mm, 40) that the external extractors and ramped barrels do help with reliability. I love them both and they are accurate and sweet shooters!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Here’s mine, a Target Nitron model. Not sure they make them anymore. Added CT laser grips and just ordered a Vedder holster for it. Going to start carrying it. 100% reliable so far right out of the box, even with my reloads. And accurate. Here’s a 10 shot group from 25 yards, offhand. I can’t shoot like that with any of my other pistols except maybe with my Sig P220 Combat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
JAFO
4,585 Posts
I had a 5" 'Nightmare' bobtail with the contrasting controls. IMHO, a really nice looking 1911 that ran well and was accurate. I think you can get more gun for less money with other brands, but it's a really nice gun.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I had a railed 5" in 45 that ran well. I traded it for a 3" Colt Agent or I might have kept it. Sold the Colt (didn't like the gutter sights). I'd consider another. I know some have said that internally, they're not "true/pure" 1911. I don't know enough to know what that means.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had a Nightmare Carry that broke the MIM disconnector after <500 rounds. Since the pistol was more than a year old, SIG told me I had to pay shipping both ways. Escalated to a supervisor, since their MIM part had *disintegrated* and I had photos to show it, got nowhere.

Haven't bought a SIG since.

Larry

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
MIM Part are NEVER as good as machined parts, it is the cheap way to save money. Why would you want to save pennies on parts? Corporate greed. JMHO.

BTW I would not buy a Preowner, Craig's list parachute. My life is at stake, I want quality.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I like my SIG, I've had it for ~3 years and it's always worked when needed. This is at the 325 round count under the warm Arizona December shoot;

1911SIG_fastback_325_rounds (1).JPG

As far as durability:

Sig Sauer 1911 FASTBACK EMPEROR SCORPION CARRY - 1911FTCA-45-ESCPN

The Sig Sauer 1911 Fastback Emperor Scorpion Carry has both Beauty and legendary reliability. The Sig Fastback makes this carry pistol very comfortable in the palm of your hand and also during Concealed carry. Sig 1911 Fastback Emperor Scorpion Carry features a stainless steel frame with rounded grip and mainspring housing in addition to a traditional contour slide. Finished with a custom Flat Dark Earth PVD finish, the Fastback Emperor Scorpion stands out from the crowd. Extremely durable and wear resistant, the physical vapor deposition is corrosion resistant, and provides a stunning look to Emperor Scorpion variants. Rounding out the look, each Emperor Scorpion is fitted with dark Piranha textured G-10 magwell grips and dark controls. Forward cocking serrations and SIGLITE night sights complete the package.

http://www.gunblast.com/SIG-Scorpion1911.htm

(In 2012, the Texas Department of Public Safety’s Special Operations Group adopted the Sig TacOps in .45 ACP as the agency’s official sidearm. The Special Operations Group is the tactical unit of the agency, which includes the Texas Ranger Special Weapons and Tactics Team, the Texas Ranger Reconnaissance Team and the Special Response Team. The TacOps was chosen because the agency wanted a large-caliber handgun capable of making fast and accurate follow-up shots. After intense endurance and environmental testing, the TacOps pistol was selected. The agency’s officers have the option of carrying the TacOps in .45 ACP or their issued Sig Sauer P226 DAK in .357 SIG.

The TacOps is a full-sized pistol that features low-profile night sights, an integral accessory rail, an ambidextrous safety and Ergo XT grip panels. Like all of Sig’s full-sized 1911s, it uses a 5-inch barrel, a checkered flat mainspring housing and an eight-round magazine. The TacOps TB features a threaded barrel for use with a sound suppressor.)

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
MIM Part are NEVER as good as machined parts, it is the cheap way to save money. Why would you want to save pennies on parts? Corporate greed. JMHO.

BTW I would not buy a Preowner, Craig's list parachute. My life is at stake, I want quality.
This contradicts everything I have read about properly manufactured MIM parts. Here's one excerpt:

"Wear testing shows MIM has a significant opportunity, since hard phases can be mixed into the feedstock to improve behaviour. For example, MIM tool steels treated with a low concentration of calcium difluoride delivers a 30-fold decrease in dry wear rate versus wrought tool steel [6].
Other dramatic improvements in wear resistance are seen by adding titanium nitride or chromium boride to stainless steels; products that cannot be formed using traditional metalworking practices."

Just like everything else, poor manufacturing can lead to failures. But just because a part is forged (or machined) it doesn't mean the base materials are good, or the tolerances are close.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Yah, you betcha, I get me one of them pistols with tritunium neenerneener.
What grade of Indo-MIM is that?
Guns are not rocket science and they don't get aerospace materials.

That said, my SA is full of MIM and has held up well in IDPA competition for some years. Its only material failure was the extractor and I don't know if it was MIM or just wrong alloy/wrong temper bar stock.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Yah, you betcha, I get me one of them pistols with tritunium neenerneener.
What grade of Indo-MIM is that?
Guns are not rocket science and they don't get aerospace materials.

That said, my SA is full of MIM and has held up well in IDPA competition for some years. Its only material failure was the extractor and I don't know if it was MIM or just wrong alloy/wrong temper bar stock.
Are you arguing with me or arguing with yourself?
Your competition SA is full of MIM but has held up for years. So what are you saying?
And regardless of where it is made, MIM has come a long ways. It's not worth the savings to any manufacturer to put a bunch of crap out and have to warranty it.
Sure, defective MIM products get through on occasion, but all kinds of other defects get through as well.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Hey, consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
I do think we are getting better MIM than was originally thought adequate for consumer grade firearms.
I also wonder if my older gun's parts might be off the other end of the probability curve and just by chance to be of a superior batch of muck, processed just right.

Will we ever see advertisements for "Grade A MIM, untouched by cutting tools or abrasives?"

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I had a Fastback Carry gifted to me a few years ago and it is a very nice tight fitted gun yet 100% reliable.
The machining is top notch inside and out, very accurate too. The rounded grip does make a positive difference both in the hand and carry.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Here’s mine, a Target Nitron model. Not sure they make them anymore. Added CT laser grips and just ordered a Vedder holster for it. Going to start carrying it. 100% reliable so far right out of the box, even with my reloads. And accurate. Here’s a 10 shot group from 25 yards, offhand. I can’t shoot like that with any of my other pistols except maybe with my Sig P220 Combat.

Gonna change your name to Ransom Rest, good shooting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I own a Fastback Carry and a Two Tone Ultra.
Unlike the Baer, and Colt I own, the Sigs have never jammed and have functioned with any type of ( JHP, FMJ) I have used.
IMO- Sig has the reliability figured out,

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I own a Fastback Carry and a Two Tone Ultra.
Unlike the Baer, and Colt I own, the Sigs have never jammed and have functioned with any type of ( JHP, FMJ) I have used.
IMO- Sig has the reliability figured out,
I know 1911 purist will not like this statement but I think Sig’s Fastback Carry‘s reliability starts with the external extractor. The most reliable autos on the planet have external extractors.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts