Sig P6, Range Report.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by thegriz18, Jan 4, 2010.

1. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

I picked up my P6 this morning and was able to head out to the range this afternoon to shoot 100 WWB 115grain FMJs. My impression when I got it out of the box was the same as in the store, this is a solid pistol. The finish is in better condition than I remember. I'm not an expert on P6 quality, but I would say it is in very good to excellent condition. I was lucky enough to get the original box that the pistol came in. The old sticker on the side has the serial number of the pistol on it, as well as handwritten names of the officers it was issued to. I thought that was kind of neat, a little history with the pistol. Overall, the pistol is in excellent condition.

I was lucky that I got the original box, but was even more lucky that it included an extra magazine. Both magazines look almost brand new and the springs are very, very strong. All of the controls on this pistol operate smoothly and without any lag or weakness. The trigger, albeit a bit heavy in DA mode is smooth and breaks cleanly. The SA mode is very crisp with a slight bit of take up.

At the range it ran through 100 rounds of WWB 115 grain FMJ's without any problems. The only problem was my thumb riding the slide lock and preventing it from locking open on the last shot. I know this is my grip because my Glocks do the same thing. I went through about 75 rounds to get the hang-of the trigger. I haven't shot much DA/SA, but I found this pistol easy to shoot after a little practice.

I decided to see what this pistol was capable of so I shot 16 rounds in SA mode into the center of my silhouette target at 7 yards. I then shot the top and bottom 8/9 rings, 8 rounds each, in DA mode at 7 yards. I found the DA to SA transition easy to pick up and was capable of shooting double taps and hammers within an inch or two of each other.

I've attached pictures, the target pictures are explained in the previous paragraph.

I'm sure a lot of folks already know this about the P6, or probably know more, but I figured I'd post for those who don't, and to satisfy the obligatory new gun picture. When I get a chance I'll try to put some JHP's through this pistol to check for feed issues since I have the older style feed ramp.
    Have a good one guys.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

A few more pictures....

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010

3. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

WELCOME to the world of happy SIG P6 owners.

4. ronin.45

ronin.45

A few buddies have P6's and they love them.

I wish I had baught a couple when they were cheap.

5. den888

den888

Nice Sig and thanks for the report.

6. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Yea, believe it or not I traded an XD45c for this pistol. The retail on the P6 was $400, but I talked it down to $350. I ended up walking away with some cash. The XD was too similar to my Glocks, and I have always wanted a Sig.

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Welcome to the wonderful world of SIG Sauer pistols, especially the P225/P6.

8. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Thanks, I think this one is going to be a joy.

9. sharp

sharp

Great gun and nice report! Thanks.

10. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

I'm very happy with my P6 :cool:

I was finally in the right place at the right time and paid $269 when they first came over.

11. Sniperfox

Sniperfox Kopfjaeger

I purchased mine when they were real cheap ($269.00) and came in it's original blue plastic case, 2 mags and a German Police flap holster. That's the way they were imported for a long time. Some gun dealers have been removing one of the mags and are selling them seperate. They were the buy of the decade and are still a good deal for those that shop around. I wish that I had purchased a wheelbarrow load of them now. A few spring upgrades and they are sweet shooters for sure.

12. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

They are sweet shooters. IMO I think this pistol might be the perfect mid size 9mm gun. It is big enough to get a hold of, heavy enough to soak recoil, but small, light and thin enough to CC. Once I put more rounds through this pistol and re finish it (for corrosion resistance and aesthetics) and verify that it feeds my JHP of choice 100%, it may replace my G23 for CC. I've bashed 9mm, but the honest truth is that it is a very capable round when it is loaded to the velocity it is capable of, not downloaded like some loads. my biggest reason for switching to the P6 is the ability to carry a reload. I think that 9 rounds of 9mm is more than enough, but malfunctions can happen with any pistol, even a Glock. For me, it is hard to carry a fat glock magazine in a position where it is easily accessible. However the P6 magazines are nice and skinny. I think I could easily carry an extra magazine or two. I think about 900 more rounds, a good holster rig, some investment into a new finish and some light trigger work, new sights and I'll be good to go. I think I'm at least 4 months away from making any changes. Only finances will tell. The more I can afford to do, the sooner a switch might happen. I'll inform if I do switch.

13. Sniperfox

Sniperfox Kopfjaeger

A replacement of that #28 German police spec hammer spring to something alot more reasonable like a #19 or a #24 like the factory P225 has will make a world of difference and it is cheap. Enjoy your P6:cool:

14. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

How low can I go with the hammer/mainspring before it get light primer strikes? I've heard that #17 or #18 is the lowest. Thanks.

15. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

If it's carry I'd say stick with a 20 or 22lb spring. The benefit of a lighter trigger is outweighed by the possibility of a light strike. I'd also replace the spring more frequently then a 24lb.

16. Sniperfox

Sniperfox Kopfjaeger

One of my P6's has a 24 lb hammer spring which IIRC is the specs for the P225 and it is smooth and sure. The other one has a wolff 19lb and it is even better, but I have experienced 2 misfires with Blazer Brass rounds. 2 light strikes out of 300 doesn't sound like much, but for a carry weapon, it's 2 too many.

17. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Thanks. What is the pull weight with a #20 spring? I would experiment, but I understand that it is a pain in the arse to switch the springs.

18. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Thought I would give an update. I put another 400 through this pistol without a single stoppage. This pistol is VERY accurate. It put 5 bullets through literally the same hole at 10 yards today. I think the hole was ~.75 inches across when I reeled the target back in. The 19# mainspring should be in this week. I'll have another update when that gets installed and I can shoot it.

Should also be going off to Todd at Customized Creationz for a slide refinish and feed ramp fix/polish. I'd rather just spend $45 for the feed ramp fix than play with JHP's until I find one that works. Still trying to decide if I want to wait on sights, or get those now. What to spend the green on.

I need some ideas for the slide color. I'm going to do cerakote. I was thinking titanium. What do you guys think?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  19. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

20. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Looks like a very solid pistol. Nice!

Like others, I wish I had been really aware of them when they first made an appearance on our shores.