Sig P365 SAS

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by DLL9mm, Nov 4, 2019.

1. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

E724B0E8-9C33-4397-A875-AB147D278951.jpeg BD44DEF0-46B2-4512-922F-98DACDA3BA40.jpeg
    I just picked up a new SAS today. I really like the idea of it, but I had a few issues at the range. Before shooting it, I cleaned it and oiled it. The first 50 rounds were Remington UMC. I had 8 failures to return to battery. Probably the ammo combined with a new ported gun. Then I ran 50 rounds of Browning 147gr. No issues. While I was cleaning it, I noticed that the barrel has a strange ring inside of it. Is this normal on these?

Accuracy.... Meh. I hope I can get used to it.

2. gh1138

gh1138 Silver Member

I had the same RTB issue the first 150 rounds or so. I had noticed that with the mag fully loaded or even with one round less than full, the slide was very difficult to rack on the first round. I left the mags fully loaded for about a week, and the problem did not recur. Or maybe it was a combination of that and general break in.

My 365 is at least as accurate as my similar weapons.

Hope you like it.

powernoodle likes this.

3. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

I find mine to be quite accurate. Less than 3” at 15 yards. I was hitting steel out to 25 yards.

It’s not the easiest pistol due to the small size. It is more intended for one handed shooting at much closer distances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Instagram
    Muzzleblast_MD

4. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I hope the issues resolve themselves and it grows on you OP. I know lots of folks like them, but they’ve had too many issues, or “break in procedures” for my taste.

Mr Meeseeks, Keith E. and DLL9mm like this.
  5. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

I shoot the regular P365 as good as anything else. They are very accurate little guns. This new sight system is very different.
    I’m kinda concerned about the big line in the rifling. Can any SAS owners check their barrel and see if theirs has it also? Thanks.

Deputydave likes this.
  6. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Are you referring to the SAS specifically or the 365 in general? Either way is understandable. I held off on the 365 for more than a year and was critical of specifics during that year. However, at least for the 365 it seems, the issues have been resolved. Enough that I was comfortable enough to purchase them.

While general long term durability is still a question (because they are still less than two years old), we are starting to see respectable round counts on them. While not the on,y factor, it is one factor.

Would the 365 be as durable in the long run as say the G26? I would think not. However, to be fair, we don’t know that because the 365 hasn’t been around long enough for a fair comparison. We know that many have reported several thousands of rounds fired trouble free which is more than most will put on a specific pistol anyway.

I am curious though, enough so that my plan is to run my off-duty 365 in an upcoming match. In the match folks will be using their full size pistols so my goal isn’t to out shoot everyone but rather use the match as a testing platform for my 365. Usually my agency has combat courses for off-duty weapons but the training section hasn’t been able to offer it lately due to the Guardian program and various academies. So until they do, a match such as the upcoming one will provide some feed back on what the 365 can do and on what I can do with it.

7. gh1138

gh1138 Silver Member

Sorry. I started to respond to that in my original post, but I wasn't sure if you were kidding. The only circle I see is what I think is the edge of the chamber. I pulled my barrel, and it looks the same, if we're seeing the same circle. Or is it something else?

8. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

There is a cut in the rifling right by the ports. I guess it’s on all of these SAS Models. Not sure why.

9. JGIORD

JGIORD

I picked up the 365XL. I also got a 15 round mag. You need to change the base plate for it to be used with the XL. I had a very funny issue at the range. I could have sworn I installed the base plate correctly. It clicked in and the nub was visible through the hole. The mag is very difficult to fully load. Anyway, my first time using it, after my first shot the base plate flew off and all the rounds, spring and follower fell out of the mag and flew all over the place. It was kind of comical.

Luckily I found all the pieces and reinstalled everything. I will monitor this to see if it was me or the mag.

The 12 round mags worked flawlessly. 150 rounds Fiocchi 115gr FMJ, no problems at all. I also fed a handful of 124gr Speer Gold Dot +P with no problems. The +P does kick a bit but overall very manageable.

10. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

Here’s another picture of what I’m talking about. DAFAD670-BE2C-4A4B-A57B-C9B7C5AF8EBF.jpeg B3DED843-BDF0-4CD7-A090-92E67FF61DEC.jpeg

Longbow likes this.
  11. gh1138

gh1138 Silver Member

Oh, I see it now. I don't have any ported barrels to compare to. Surely someone else will.

12. gedrich

gedrich

I took a look at my SAS barrel and mine is cut just like yours. Perhaps it has something to do with channeling the gas towards the ports?

AdamRodgers, powernoodle and DLL9mm like this.
  13. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

Yes. Sig said that it’s completely normal and helps the ports.

14. Valmet

I was referring to the P365 in general. SIG makes a solid pistol, but some of the 365s teething issues turned me off.

Deputydave likes this.
  15. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

Yeah me too, but then I bought one anyway.

16. Valmet

And eventually, I may do just the same.

17. Southswede

Southswede

I think the echo chamber known as the internet posted more problems than there were guns when the gun was first released. The gun has been solid for over a year now. I've been running one without any issues since April of 2018.

rock_castle and rayzer007 like this.
  18. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I don't know much about ported barrels, but do find the photo interesting. I will leave it to smart folks to define "normal" or "abnormal", but seeing a break in the rifling does cause my brain to wonder about how that impacts a bullet moving across that transition. Do you see more shaving and fouling of the barrel? Chunks? Changes in bullet stability?

I will keep reading to see what people weigh in with. I can see how it would aid in the uniform escape of gasses as the bullet passes (please move smoothly to the exits...), and may be better than the gasses porting just in the areas near the ports, but I don't now if it helps or how much.

Thanks for sharing. I obviously am no help to you, but hopefully can learn with you as others weigh in! Good luck!

MNBud likes this.
  19. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

I spoke with Sig today and they were very helpful explaining why it’s there. Completely normal. All the SAS models are like this to help with the porting. I wonder if this hurts the accuracy at all. I REALLY plan to run this gun a lot more this weekend. Yesterday’s range trip was pretty disappointing. I know others have complained about the accuracy of the SAS, but that’s probably due to the different sight system.

boilergonzo likes this.
  20. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Thanks. Let us know how things go for you! I will be interested to learn about your impressions.

It is too bad it has the different sights AND the strange barrel. One cannot eliminate one variable to know what is really THE contributing factor if accuracy issues remain... keep us posted!