Sig P290 9mm thin subcompact

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by rj112275, Nov 4, 2010.

1. rj112275

rj112275 NRA Member

2. jlavallee

jlavallee

Holy ****hell batman! 20.5 oz for a tiny single stack? WTF did they fab it from, lead?

They're missing 1/2 the point. I'll stick with my 11.4 oz 340PD J-frame thanks much. I have a 10+1 round P99C that weights less than that. And so does your G26.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010

3. engineer88

engineer88

Yeah, the weight thing was a big turn off to me too. That and the little nub under the barrel that is their new proprietary rail I guess. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot with that. It is polymer though most likely so nothing a file or sandpaper/dremel cannot get rid of. :rofl:

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Agree... Nice idea, but they missed the boat on that one.

IGF

5. Jav21

Jav21 NRA BTW ILA Silver Member

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  6. Jav21

Jav21 NRA BTW ILA Silver Member

Cliffs:
    -No.
    -Just what I read from some random other people online.

No? There are some arguements that I have heard regarding the inability for a Glock system to fit into a single stack which would force them to design a gun from the ground up. Just what I read from some random other people online.

There is also the importation points problem. The Walther PPS gets in but it is much bigger. People have calculated what it would take for Glock to get this done and it seemed possible but costly/inconvenient or something like that. Just what I read from some random other people online.

How many G36's have they sold? Not many. Just what I read from some random other people online.

7. jlavallee

jlavallee

14 oz without mag is about where I start to get interested. Ideally, a nice 9mm single stack should weigh about 14.5 to 15 oz loaded which, is what my 340PD does when packing 5 rounds of .357 Magnum. The weight difference is such a big deal I can't stand carrying the regular J-frame (4 oz heavier) anymore.

I'd pay big dollars for a 6+1 9mm that was small with a good trigger and 15oz loaded weight.

8. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

Grip is way too small. When you have to qualify at 25 yards, these tiny grip guns don't work very well.

9. fastbolt

fastbolt

Once they release it, give it a year for Beta-testing in the hands of consumers ... :whistling:

There's a rumor (which I haven't tried to substantiate) that S&W may be working on a pretty small single column magazine plastic 9mm pistol. If true, that would be interesting. Something to replace the CS9, so to speak. It'll be interesting to see if it's true, and if it is, whether the model will be in the M&P line or the Bodyguard line. I'd wait a year before trying that one, too, but that's just me and having had my fill over the years of being a Beta-tester for gun companies ... :rofl:

10. jlavallee

jlavallee

I'm open to seeing a new product but I won't hold my breath. Usually we get screwed by two factors:

-They always want a "multi-caliber" platform so it is not optimized for 9mm. .380's get optimized but 9mm & .40 are close enough that we usually get the shaft.

-They always want a "nice" shooting gun. Obviously, felt recoil on a light gun will be higher. Hell, my 340PD with .357's makes a full on 44 mag load out of a model 29 look wimpy. It is not fun to shoot but it is shootable and I can carry it on the ankle or IWB in shorts with no belt. That is why I own it.

If I have to lug 20 oz around plus ammo you can rest assured I'll be carrying more than a single stack.

11. Patchman

Patchman Florist

There's a lot of truth in that single column pistols may be too small in the grip for some people. I used to CCW a Kahr K9 that concealed great but the grip was just a little too thin. I don't have the answer(s).

Anyway, with Glock building their production facilities in GA, a single column pistol may be possible in the future. But of course, the question is, when?????? I'm guessing at least 3 to 5 years away.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  12. Caver 60

Caver 60

Darn shame we can't just get rid of that STUPID LAW. Come to think of it most gun control laws are stupid, IMO. Oh well!

Guess I'll just stick with my PM9. After I got it running right, it's pretty good.

ETA I'm a double action only, in a good holster type person. I don't want any safeties getting forgotten about on a carry pistol. Draw, point or aim, and pull trigger as many times as necessary, reloading when required.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  13. matt c

matt c

That pistol will probably do well. The price is right at about 500 bucks. The weight may be an issue to some, however, it will probably be one of the best shooting lil pistols out there.

14. jlavallee

jlavallee

Probably, I just don't see how it is anything to get excited about. See how crazy everyone went about the LCP? Imagine something that worked a little better, weighed close to that and had 9x19mm power. That is what would excite me.

It should shoot well, it has the weight of a Glock. This is like the Walther PPS, a pistol that is thin and no other benefit. Wow, I'm not impressed.