Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just ordered a CPO Sig P239 in 40 cal, with the intention of shipping straight back to the Sig custom shop for an SRT, and hand fitting of the 357 Sig barrel. It will be an edc. Do I need to have it re-sighted for 357? I've heard stories of different POIs, so was thinking of having it re-sighted with 25 yard zero in new cal. Will this be an added expense, and will it be necessary? I am not sure how the change in POI is accomplished. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Taller sights may be needed like with the G23 to G32 conversion. I'd say shoot it and find out first, you might save some money.

·
Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
29,831 Posts
I ran a G22 with a G31 barrel (stock Glock barrel) for years. There were no issues. The only time I have a POI shift, was when I bought some after-market G31 barrel, but the factory Glock 31 barrel had the same POI as the barrel the G22 came with.

My Uncle runs a P226 .357SIG, and has a Sig Factory .40 barrel which he uses most of the time. There are no differences in shooting between the two barrels/cartridges.

No fitting, no different sights, has worked fine for years.

I have never heard that SIG will "sight in" a pistol for you, nor have I heard of a CCW/service pistol being "sighted in" at 25 yards. The average shooting takes place at 7 yards. In fact I have never heard the phrase "sight in at X yards" used when discussing a service/CCW pistol.

So, I highly doubt your .357SIG barrel will need to be "fitted". The factory ones aren't, so why would yours? Also, you may very well save yourself a ton of time and money by purchasing an SRT trigger and installing it yourself. And I would scrap the idea of "sighting in" your pistol at 75 feet.

I do not know what the SIG Custom Shop turn-around time is, but it's very title leads me to believe that it's not very quick, and liable to be pricey.

A quick Google search shows that the SRT trigger (just a few little parts) and the .357SIG barrel you need are available. And I would believe that there is a YouTube video that shows how to install an SRT trigger in a P239.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3QQzdqMh5E"]Sig P239 Disassembly & Reassembly w/ installation of SRT - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
The 357 Sig barrel is a drop in. I used one for years. I recently bought a Barsto semi fitted that was very tight, but it too dropped in.

You can use the .40 mags and they usually run fine. Use them at the range, but I would get dedicated 357 mags for carry. The 357 mags have an extra crease along the front edge to keep the 357 centered.

I almost always shoot 357 SIG in my P239 now, so, I changed the sights to 8 front 9 rear. The POI was off enough to bother me. About 3 inches low (as I recall) at 20 yards. SIG sights are used by aligning the three dots and, the bullet is supposed to hit where the front dot it, I'm used to the bullet hitting at the top of the front sight, so, it works for me now.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
My SIG 239 is about 12 years old. When I bought it, if you converted to .40, you had to purchase magazines for the .40. They said the .357SIG mags would not work with the .40. I never bought the .40 bbl. for my 239, as my 229 has always had both barrels, and works fine, accuracy-wise, with both bbls., and uses the same mags for both calibers.

I could never understand why you need to have different mags shooting the 239, but can use the same mags for both calibers with the 229???

My Gen4 G22 shoots .357SIG and .40S&W with the same mags. This is what I like.

AK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts