close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SIG P229 vs. Glock 23

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by agaddis, May 19, 2004.

1. agaddis

agaddis

I came across a few websites comparing these two guns (SIG P229 in .40 S&W) and was surprised to find about a 3 to 1 preference towards the SIG. Specifically, recoil and accuracy they say is better. So, for you Glock 23 fans I am curious---why do you prefer Glock over Sig? Have you compared and how is your accuracy? Recoil?

Thanks,
    AG

2. agaddis

agaddis

Hey guys, help me out here, I have my SIG up for sale to buy a Glock and then I read this stuff---I would really like to hear from Glock .40 fans...

3. D.S.Brown

D.S.Brown Millennium Member

Agaddis,

I would speculate that it is largely aesthetics. I own a G23 with more to come. I'ts my all time favorite handgun. However I am also a huge fan of mid sized .40 caliber handguns. For that reason I will own a Sig 229, and an H&K USP/C, and a Kimber Pro Carry. All in .40 S&W.

I have shot a Sig 229 in .40 S&W. My first double action shot tends to go high. I then transition to single action and the shots are dead on. In single action I probably shoot the Sig a little better. However the G23 trumps it due to weight, consistency of trigger/no double/single action trigger work. Recoil also feels a little sharper with the Sig but I think that has more to do with hand placement in relation to the low bore axis of the Sig.

Frankly you won't go wrong with either. If it were me I would keep the Sig, buy a bunch of the 12 round factory mags, some night sights and wooden grips ( an area where the Sig trumps the Glock ). Buy a bunch of ammo and practice. In the mean time save your pennies and buy a G23 later when you can afford both.

Just a suggestion.

Best,
    David S. Brown

4. pimuk

pimuk

I prefer the Glock's simplicity, reliability, sufficient
    combat accuracy and less need of maintenance. The simpler,
    the better under stress and real life shooting.

Sig is excellent in its own design and share many aspects
    of Glock too, but Glock offers me more. The 229 is my
    second choice after the G-23.

5. agaddis

agaddis

Glock for Hire,

You have good advice and keeping it while sounding logical in my situation is not really practical at this time or else I would. I have found that I personally shoot better with the Glocks and ultimately I think that needs to be my deciding factor.

Regards,
    Audie Gaddis

6. Dandapani

Dandapani

I have G33 (with G27 barrel) and P229 (with both 357sig and .40 barrels). To me, the Glock is a hammer, a tool, a utility. It works, works well. The Sig is more of my collectible. I can fiddle with it, flip the lever, etc. You can't play with a Glock. I had purchased the Sig first, then when CCW in Ohio was on the horizon, I bought the Glock for carry. Go figure.

7. Adam Thiel

Adam Thiel

I don't own any .40s, but I do own Sig and Glock.

I've had a Sig P220 since 1986. I also used to own a Glock 21, and now own a Glock 20. Over the years, the Sig mags have been the weak link to my P220. I have replaced them time and time again, and have had several malfunctions with the Sig. Luckily, the malfunctions have not occurred when my life is on the line. My two Glocks, on the other hand, have never once malfunctioned. I've probably put about 5,000 rounds through them together. Personally, I prefer the reliabily, high capcity, and simplicity of the Glocks. They are also slightly lighter weight than the Sig. I prefer the Glocks without the finger grooves, because if you have to draw the gun real fast, you may not get the grip purchase you'd expect when grabbing a gun with the finger grooves. The finger grooves always seem to hit me right in the middle of the fingers when I try to fast draw the gun, which forces me to have to adjust the grip. My G20 has the finger grooves, and I intend to have them removed by Robar.

A friend of mine just bought a brand new Sig P229 and had some serious problems with one of the mags that came with the gun. The mag spring was compressed and got stuck when he was shooting it. When he took the mag out of the gun, the cartridges all fell out. Bad mag. I've never had any issues with bad mags when it comes to Glock.

8. jpshaw

jpshaw

Bought a Sig 229 to replace my G23. After several years I sold the 229 and kept the G23. Get that lets you know how I feel. The 229 was a nice piece I just like the simplicity of the Glock.

.40 Club number 14

9. rsilvers

rsilvers Guest

I have them both. I prefer the Glock because it has the same trigger pull on each shot, and is simpler and lighter. I actually like the German-made Sig P228 more than the New Hampshire P229.

10. pimuk

pimuk

They are both great. My government allows citizen only
    one hand gun plus one rimfire rifle. I decided in favor
    of Glock. Glock and Sig Sauer are kind of apple and
    orange. I like them both.

11. Chopperdog

Chopperdog

Sounds like you answered your own question. If you shoot the Glock better, stick with the glock. I like both pistols, but for a carry weapon, I carry the G23.

12. noway

noway

The sig 229 once was my 1st 40sw gun. The cost I paid for it could hve bought me a g22 at that time with hi-cap. The 229 is not a good comparsion for a vrs g23 since both guns are not even in the same park.

229 DA/SA all metal vrs the glock 23 striker-firing metal and polymer construction.

I myself NOW is more accurate w/ the G23 and find the stock OEM sights for the glock to be much better than the dot or vertical line that came with my 229. The was much better with recoil due weight but the DA to SA transition was a ***** to get good at. I also find the sig229 to be very tough in gun and mags. I've dropped mine numerous times, had them in water/dirt/sand and just keep everything lubed and oiled and the gun performed flawlessly.

Both guns are great 40s.

just my 0.02c thoughts.

13. rsilvers

rsilvers Guest

One big difference is:

The Sig has second-strike capability if you have a weak primer strike. The Glock you must rack the slide (something I would do anway).

But the Glock has uniform trigger pull on each shot -- a feature I love.

If I worked with a gun and was issued either I would be happy. I own many of both, but I always thought the Glock was a beautiful design. My first handgun, when I had to save a long time to buy it, was a G19.

14. jacksonian

jacksonian

I have a G22 and just bought a Sig P220 ST. I like the weight and feel of the Sig. I like the magazine MUCH better on the Glock. To me, the frame of the Sig seems to command a nice mag like the Glock, while the Glock mag seems higher quality than the rest of the gun. Just my opinion. I find it hard to feed the P220 magazine.

15. RobertP

RobertP

I recently traded a Sig 229 and a Sig 226 not so much due to how the guns shot but due to weight and feel. THe G22 and 23 feel better and I shoot better with them than the Sigs.

16. rauchman

rauchman

While I have neither pistol, I do have a G19 and a Sig 226 & 225. My buddy has the 229 and the G23 and I've shot them often. To those that say you like the Glock trigger better in the sense of one type of pull I totally agree with you. Having said that I have never been able to shoot a Glock as well as........ as well as anything else. I find the triggers on the Glock to be very alien to me. I think they are great pistols, but for me, the trigger is the weak point. What the hell is the point of owning a pistol if you can't shoot it well? The big thing I see as major differences between the G23 and P229 are the following:

The Sig, IMHO, is much more pleasant to shoot. The recoil characteristics are much more favorable on the Sig. Most .40's I've fired, I didn't really care for. The Sig 229, 226 and the CZ75 were the exceptions. Ok, maybe I'm a wimp. With the Glock, a lot of people love the fact that it sits so low in the hand. I like it as well, however, I think this design facilitates recoil to be felt more. I'm sure others out there think differently on this. The Sig is heavier than the Glock. Again, I think the weight also helps dampen recoil. If you like the design, you have to give it to Glock for putting a supremely efficient pistol size, weight, and capacity wise.

17. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr GEC #15 sheepsfoot

Beneath the old oak tree at Sutter's Fort
    My turn! My turn!

Both brands are good & should be reliable & accurate out of the box. I shoot the G23 better for some reason.

That, with the added extras (ease of maintenance, lower bore axis, simple trigger, lightweight, more rounds per mags, etc...) means I really, really like the G23 lots!! more.

Glockmeister has several goodies like sights, springs, tools, and a cd on maintenance that be interesting.

;c

18. TacticalShot

TacticalShot Member

I have both.

I liked my first Sig 229 .40S&W so much that I bought another one in .357Sig. I also prefer my HK USP40 over the G23. But I like them all, in different ways; and they are all going to stay in my stable.

19. Eddie C.

Eddie C. Administrator Moderator CLM

I have the Sig P229 in .40S&W. It's the only .40 I own. I own 4 Sigs, they are a first rate handgun.

20. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Both fantastic weapons. I would choose the G23 over the P229 primarily because of maintainance and consistant trigger. G19/23/32 are the perfect size Glocks for me which point naturally and just feel great. The lower barrel design of the Glock appeals to me more as well.