Sig P226 .40 or P229 vs Glock 23

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Matt E P, Jul 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Matt E P

Matt E P

I have basically made up my mind, but I want to ask Sig fans what they think.

I am looking for a .40 cal pistol as I am going into LE. I am looking for a reliable range weapon, that functions both as CCW and Home Defense. Basically a do everything pistol. So far the Glock 23 seems hands down the best for the money. The Department I am looking at joining, however, issues the Sig P226. Probably a better duty gun. What I like about Glock is the mag compatibility as well as the light weight. I have yet to shoot a Sig, but I have held many. Great feel, better than Glock imo. Still it seems heavy for everyday CCW.
    My plan was to use the Glock 22 or 23 as Duty Weapon and either 23 or 27 as BUG. Depending on the season and the concealability.
    Anyone have any real strong arguments for why I should go Sig instead? I'd be looking at strictly a CCW/Homedefense/BUG type model. As the P226 will probably be my standard issue Duty sidearm. Providing they don't go Glock. Who knows these days.

Stay Safe.

-MEP

2. SR_

SR_

If you want to stay with the lightest weight gun, read no further. Go with the Glock 23.

To me, the issue was which gun (or family of guns) felt best in my hand and what did I shoot best. I don’t have to carry a gun day in/day out so the difference in weight was not that important.

Like you, Sigs just fit my hand better. When I rented guns, I shot Sigs better than I shot the Glocks. I went with a Sig.

I will pass on one other thought. Consider staying with a ‘family’ of guns because the controls are all the same. So, if it were me, I’d go with a Sig for an off duty gun. I like the 229. If I wanted to keep the weight down, I’d forgo a couple of rounds and look at a 239.

3. Rebeldon

Rebeldon

Not even close...the P226 by 31 lengths!

4. a1b2c3

a1b2c3

I would suggest going with the P229 or P239. I've carried alot of different duty and off duty weapons over the years and I keep going back to the Sigs due to the total reliability, hand filling and being the most accurate pistols. I currently use a P220R on duty and a P239 in 40 off.

5. ericXD9

ericXD9

I recently traded my G23 for a Sig P229 in .40 S&W. I did not enjoy shooting the G23, it seemed to just jump around in my hands. Muzzle flip, I guess you call it. I had a hell of a time with follow-up shots.

I'm not LEO, so my needs are different. I really prefer heavier guns. I love shooting sigs, I also own a 239 in .40 (my carry gun), and a 226 is on my wish list. I can shoot sigs at the range all day long. I never made it past 50 rounds with the G23 in one session. But Glocks are great duty guns.

Bottom line, either gun will go bang every time you pull the trigger.

6. Beerslayer

Beerslayer CLM

In the larger size, I'd consider a G22 or P226. In a smaller size I'd prefer (and have) the P229 over the G23.

For one-does-all I'd vote P229.

7. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

I prefer Sigs in .40. The extra weight helps with the recoil. The P226R .40 would be a great duty pistol. A P229/P239 for off-duty would be good,too. I have a P220R for on-duty and a new P229 .40 for off-duty. That said, a G-22/G-27 combo has many advantages. Get what you like, you can't lose.

8. Rodman

Rodman

Matt E P, my opinion is get what fits you best. i have owned at least 50 glocks and 50 Sigs. i have carried both on duty and liked both. i think they are the two best gun manufacturers in the gun market. but i have to say one thing in benefit of the Sig, i have never had one failure of any kind. out of all the Glocks i own i had problems with 5 of them. i dont think the weight should be an issue if you get a quality belt and holster, i would go with the top makers though. for a very long time i was to cheap to spend the big bucks on high quality leather because i figured it couldnt make that much of a difference, trust me it does make a difference. also seriously look into the Sig 239 in .40s&w, thats a great package. i carried one off duty and on plain clothed details, its a real nice piece. good luck and be safe on the road.

9. k2rider

k2rider

I've carried a Sig 226 or 228 (both in 9mm) for the last 19 years at work and have NEVER had a single malfunction, fail to feed, stovepipe, etc...

However, I recently bought my first Glock (Model 23) for exactly the same reason you brought up. I always thought the Sigs were a lil heavy for off duty carry. I had a 239 and never shot it as well as I shoot the 228 or 226. I sold it after it sat in my safe for about a year. Same story with the SigPro...except that lasted less than 6 months.

10. Warhorse

Warhorse

I am not an LEO, but SR_ makes a good case about staying with the same "family". of firearms. Familarity will help very much when dealing in a high stress situation, when you undoubtly will be running on muscle memory and ingrained training. Just my .02 worth.

11. bac1023

bac1023

I like Sigs better overall, but Glocks make more practical carry weapons, IMO. Especially for concealed carry.

Both are extremely reliable. I find Sigs to be more accurate.

12. bac1023

bac1023

By the way, have you looked at the HK USP or P2000? I prefer them over Glock and Sig.

13. buddyRoland

buddyRoland Proud Pop

1) P229
    2) G23
    3) P226