close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sig on the brain

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JuttsGlock, Feb 25, 2010.

1. JuttsGlock

JuttsGlock

Hello Everyone,

Im a huge Glock guy. Ive owned multiple Glocks in 9mm and .40SW

Ive had to sell them due to financial reasons. Things are back on the positive side and im able to make a purchase. I was leaning towards the 23 again. Love it. Until i held the Sig p229. What a nice pistol. Fits my hand much better than the glock. Ive owned a p220 in the past but this thing just felt right. And they shoot nicely.

A few draw backs. The sig only carries 10 rounds .40 or 9mm unless you get different mags. And the darn thing is 1.5 in wide. Glock 1.18 in wide.
    Def not for IWB holstering.

What are some of your thoughts guys ?

2. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

I am kinda in the same boat. I just bought a used P226 and it freaking shoots like a dream, fits my hand better than my 17 and no finger grooves. So the primary house and fun gun might be the P226.

BUT- The backup will always be my G19. I love it and I think most firearm collectors should have one.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010

3. JuttsGlock

JuttsGlock

Me too. Im going to pick up the 2 Tone p229 in .40
    Then im going to get my good ole g23 back.
    Then Probably a kahr pm9 for summer carry.

I think thats a nice group of 3 !

4. raven11

raven11

i own a P228 ,same size just with a stamped slide, great shooter and excellent reliability

i'm pretty sure with Sig standard mags you will get 13rd of 9mm

[​IMG]

5. FM12

FM12 I need AMMO!

Was issued a sig 229 just today, will post a report after a trip to the range. Excellent guns!!

6. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

The 228/229 is excellent. The only things I don't like is that the bore axis is unnecessarily high, and the grip is a bit chunky.

7. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

You can get a CPO 229 or a used 229 for the same price as a new glock. I love the 225/P6 and the 229, great firearms.

8. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

The P229 was my first handgun. I bought it because it felt good in my hand, looked nice and had a reputation for quality. After numerous hours of training and tons of general range time I could pick up a Glock and shoot it better even though I had virtually no experience with them at the time. That's when I learned that how a guns "feels in my hand" at the gun store or while methodically punching holes in paper is close to irrelevant. The trigger on the Sig was a serious problem. The DA/SA and the long reset made in vastly inferior to the Glock in practical terms.

Bottom line, if you want something that feels good in your hands get a woman. If you want a good gun get a Glock.

9. RedTape

RedTape

Hahaha. Right. Sigs are great guns. Glocks are great guns. Neither is inferior to the other. They're just tools. Get the one that fits you best and shoots best for you, but don't say that because you can't shoot a DA/SA gun...one that works great for USSS, FAM, etc...that it's "inferior." Ultimately it's the indian not the arrow.

Get the 229. It's a great gun, very smooth shooter. Get a few Mec-gar mags for higher capacity. They make the Sig factory mags, so quality/reliability is not a concern.

10. goldenlight

goldenlight

My P-229 40 cal magazines hold 12 rounds, and I have 15 round Mec-Gar magazines for my 9mm P-228.

Ten rounds???

11. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Get the Sig(s). The P229 is an excellent pistol. 9mm TT on top, 40/357 229R on bottom.
    [​IMG]

12. Skyhook

Skyhook

I like my G-30, but really like my Sig P-220! :thumbsup:

13. hogarth

hogarth

Standard capacity, as others have said, is 12 rounds in .40 and 13 in 9mm, and MecGar makes quality mags that hold 15 in 9mm. Not sure why you are thinking 10, unless the model you looked at came with 10 rd mags from some "capacity limited" state.

The p229 in .40 was my first gun....after renting many glocks, HKs, etc., I found I shot it the best. Over time, however, I came to find I'm just not as accurate with .40, so I sold it. I still have a 220 and a P6 and love them both. I'd go with whatever you shoot the best.....right now for me that tends to be Glock, even though Glock is no where near as "comfortable" in my hand.

14. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

My P245 is the first gun to put my Glocks in the safe. Capacity be damned, it's just a fine gun.

15. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

Two of the arson investigators I work with carry the 229 in .40 and swear by it.

I've held theirs in my hand a couple of times, and am sorely tempted to get one of my own, along with the extra barrel for .357 Sig. I just don't have the fun money right now.

16. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

The 23 and the 229 are both outstanding guns. For self/home-defense, find the one you enjoy and shoo the best and go for it. Also, nothing wrong with having a "dream" gun that you simply enjoy owning and/or shooting, even if it's not what you shoot best or is the most utilitarian gun to own.

As for the DA/SA, it's simply a training issue. The "long reset" is subjective, but can be shortened by having the SRT (short reset trigger) installed, or buy a model that comes with it (i.e. SAS or Blackwater).

17. johnd

johnd

I carry my issued Beretta all day long, I own Glocks and the Department is going to Glocks soon but I love my SIGs...those of us who own a SIG or multiples of them are jealous of the other LE Depts who issue them.

18. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

I own them both. I shoot them both with similar results. That is to say that I don't find one more accurate than the other.
    I carry the G23. It's easy.
    I don't carry the 229. Fat and heavy.

19. happy seal

happy seal

And heavy! Nice guns but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. FPS

FPS

I love my 229. It is a bit on the fat side but it shoots great.