Sig M17

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by army_eod, Oct 19, 2019.

1. MD357

MD357

Have you noticed any difference between his and yours concerning the accuracy with the Bar Sto?

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

At that level of shooting it would be hard for me to tell - I have heard it said many times, when people talk about getting a ransom rest to test their guns, that a good bullseye shooter can shoot better groups than a ransom rest, so it's mostly the shooter. I should get him to shoot mine the next time I see him. I got him to try a Glock 17 with a KKM barrel at 50 yards the last time we practiced together, but he was shooting more like 7-8" groups with it, so he wasn't very impressed

MD357 likes this.

3. stavey

stavey

Sig has mechanical accuracy figured out . You can fit a Barsto and you’d still be lucky to get the same level of accuracy as the oem barrel. Sig stated that “they designed the P320 to be the most accurate polymer pistol available.” As far as my ransom rest testing goes their statement stands true. All 3 of my sigs 9mms will shoot 3/4” or under -5 round groups at 25 yards in the ransom. Try doing that with your Glock. Actually don’t waste your time. The barrels of the P320 are “pretensioned” maybe this has something to do with their incredible accuracy. Either way I wouldn’t waste your money on an aftermarket barrel, unless you enjoy being disappointed. Not to mention Barsto uses a goofy 1/16 twist for 9mm. I have used them but much prefer 1/10 twist
    Apex for M&Ps and factory for my Sigs.
    The new x series P320 are amazing
    Accurate as f&:k
    Great ergos
    Great sights &
    Great triggers
    Not sure what more you could want

Southswede, Lagamor and Nick B like this.
  4. stavey

stavey

Good shooter , outshoot a ransom ? ?
    I can guarantee he won’t outshot my ransom rest. Or any others that are set up properly. For actual testing there is only 1 way.

5. Nick B

Nick B

I use to . Now I just shoot for recreation. Might change soon though. A new outdoor gun club is set to open this January and the owner is big into competition shooting. He says he’s going to have monthly matches for IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, Cowboy, etc.

6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

You don't need that kind of mechanical accuracy in a duty or self defense pistol. And reliability under adverse conditions is usually the reason such guns give up a little accuracy.

jr24 likes this.
  7. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I agree. The Sigs are probably more accurate, but I'll still use Glocks for self-defense. The Glock is accurate enough and I trust it more.

jr24 likes this.
  8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Between those sports, you have a use for about 20 guns. Heck, you need a minimum of 4 cowboy guns for 1 match.

9. bac1023

bac1023

:agree:

I’m just a creature of habit and I’m used to carrying Glock’s, I guess.

10. hardluk1

hardluk1

I still wondering if the OP had to do any filleing on that barrel or if it was a drop in . No use wasting money on a drop in .

There one guy on sig talk shooting sub .500 25 yards groups working up a pet loads with a p320X5 but he is using a ransom rest . Still that's a good shooting handgun

11. stavey

stavey

To
    say someone doesn’t need that level of accuracy is ludicrous, If you place 1 shot where it needs to be the fight is over, if you miss your life may be over. Accuracy is life and death in my opinion.

12. stavey

stavey

When 1 shot placed correctly can save your life and 1 miss can mean the end of your life. I want all the accuracy I can get. It’s a matter of life and death. It does matter.

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

When we talk about shooting a 2" group vs. a 4" group at 50 yards, we are talking about 1/4" difference in a shot fired at self-defense distances, probably without using sights. No, that doesn't make a difference. I can hit a person's head with my Glock at 25 yards all day long and 25 yards is a lot longer shot than any civilian self-defense case I can imagine.

14. stavey

stavey

Everyone is Annie Oakley on the internet, and you have no idea at what distance you will need to take a shot. If you are happy with sub par accuracy, I hope your fast on the trigger and a little lucky, or you may find out how important that “1/4” difference may actually be.

15. Majestic9C1

Majestic9C1 You're Going to Love my Nuts

I love mine.. very flat shooting and accurate... good balance and weight as well...

UncleDave and Southswede like this.
  16. tercel89

tercel89

Does the M17 have the removable "chassis" ?

17. 0311INF

0311INF

Ha! The miniscule difference in mechanical accuracy between a Glock and Sig has absolutely no real world practical effect. I can't believe I just read that.
    If anyone is worried about that, don't let your head explode when considering the many other factors that go into getting the advantage over an opponent. Factors like situational awareness, getting the gun out of the holster, putting 2 hands on it aiming, and not yanking the trigger. In less than 2 seconds please.

45caldan and TacticalDesire like this.
  18. 07stuntin6r

07stuntin6r

I want it I just don’t like what I’ve seen about the coating on the M17 wearing quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. TacticalDesire

TacticalDesire

Someone who worries about coating wearing off won't shoot it enough for it to matter anyway.

Master Guns, 45caldan and pgg00 like this.
  20. UncleDave

UncleDave

Yep, the Fire Control Unit (FCU) can be dropped into any P320 9mm/40SW/357SIG grip module. Just need the relief cuts for the ambi safety.

army_eod likes this.