Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Yesterday at Gander Mountain I checked out a couple of the SIG 938 pistols. I once thought they would be just too small to handle the 9mm round and the recoil with self defense carry rounds would be unpleasant to say the least. I imagined it being like the recoil of the J-Frame scandium 357mag revolvers....HORRENDOUS.

As I was handling them yesterday I was impressed with how nice they felt in the hand. They feel like a top quality piece. They are made by SIG so that is expected. After a couple of the fancy looking models the guy handed me one that was all black and had rubber finger grips on it and that one would be the one I would take if I was going to get one. It seemed better able to handle self defense situations and the ammo used for them.

What do you all think of how this little auto handles recoil? Is it better or worse than the typical airweight J-Frame like the 638, 642 and others similar to them?

Last thing...just about all of them that they had was priced at around $700 or higher. That seemed awfully high to me. What do they typically sell for and what would be considered a good deal?

Thanks for the help.

Nalajr

·
Formerly TFLWYO
1,411 Posts
A P938 retired my last revolver about 3 years ago. The Sig outclasses the airweight in everything except contact shots, and it is slightly less smooth to draw from a pocket than an internal hammer S&W. The Sig has excellent sights (with the bonus that they are night sights), excellent accuracy, extra ammo on board, less recoil, faster reloads. One does need to practice disengaging the safety at some point during the presentation.

There is no way that recoil can be compared to .357 out of an airweight. Much of the pressure is absorbed by the recoil springs and the cycling of the action. The gun also weighs about 5 ounces more than an S&W 642 loaded. I prefer the P938 from a recoil standpoint to standard velocity .38 Specials in an airweight.

Be sure to run the Sig well lubed, preferably greased. Buy a recent production model because early ones had some teething pains. Also, the prices appear to be coming down since the Glock 43 was introduced. I would look for one at least $100 cheaper. (But, remember, you are getting night sights already installed, so the gun is going to be more expensive than a plastic sighted Glock for that reason alone.) Also, I prefer the 6 round magazines. The gun hides easier and the extensions on 7 rounders are really goofy and make it hard to pack them as reloads, especially in magazine pouches.

Hope this helps.

·
Hermit
155 Posts
I find the recoil on my p938 to be a lot softer than I expected it to be. It's very manageable. I installed the Hogue over molded grip on mine, not so much for recoil , but to fill my hand a little more (which makes it easier for me to hit something with it!). Hope this helped.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I don't find my SAS 938 with night sights to recoil badly at all. I've shot a variety of 115-124gr. FMJ ammo, 115gr. Remington UMC HP, 124gr. HST +P, 124gr. PDX-1 +P, 147gr. Gold Dot and 124gr. Fiocchi w/XTP bullet. No malfunctions at all and very accurate. I shoot it with the 6rd. flush and 7rd. extended mags and it stays planted in my hand with either one. I bought mine online for $499 shipped and my FFL didn't charge me a transfer fee. :)

Mods done include some slim line 1911 screws I already had, a IDP Tactical trigger and single sided P238 safety from Sig.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I think it handles recoil very comfortably. It's a single action with a manual safety lever but is thin and easily concealable. I replaced the stock plastic ridged trigger with a smooth steel one. If you look around you should be able to find them for less than $700.

·
Fartacus
1,212 Posts
I really can't say anything negative about it. I agree with the previous posts. I will just add that the trigger feel on mine seemed to improve noticeably after a few range trips. At first I wasn't crazy about the stiffness, but that seems to be much better now. Very accurate for its size.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the info. The ones I handed the other day were nice for sure, but the one I took a liking to, and the one I would likely buy, was the one that had the rubber grips with the finger grooves. That seemed to be able to control that little booger better.

Since I would be looking for a full time carry piece, I put each one of them in my front right pocket to see how they fit. I am happy to say that I would have absolutely no problem at all in carrying one of these in my pocket without a holster. It felt good and came out nice and smooth too. Now all this is just anecdotal since I was standing in a gun store and that was only 1 pocket that I tried. LOTS of other factors would also come into play should I buy one. For the times that I would carry it in a pocket, I would likely use one of those pocket type holsters to protect the weapon from debris and to be as safe as possible and block the trigger from anything that isn't supposed to be there. I also tried the back pocket and I totally don't like that method at all. I would rather have an IWB carry than the back pocket.

So many fine pistols and not enough cash.

Nalajr

·
Registered
30,519 Posts
The P938 is a favorite pocket carry gun.

The recoil isn't bad and I like about everything else about it.

Equipped with a Crimson Trace laser it's a good 24 hour gun.

I've been plinking with it most every day and evening for the last week.

The only thing I want to change about it is to get a nice set of wooden grips.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hey all,

Yesterday at Gander Mountain I checked out a couple of the SIG 938 pistols. I once thought they would be just too small to handle the 9mm round and the recoil with self defense carry rounds would be unpleasant to say the least. I imagined it being like the recoil of the J-Frame scandium 357mag revolvers....HORRENDOUS.

As I was handling them yesterday I was impressed with how nice they felt in the hand. They feel like a top quality piece. They are made by SIG so that is expected. After a couple of the fancy looking models the guy handed me one that was all black and had rubber finger grips on it and that one would be the one I would take if I was going to get one. It seemed better able to handle self defense situations and the ammo used for them.

What do you all think of how this little auto handles recoil? Is it better or worse than the typical airweight J-Frame like the 638, 642 and others similar to them?

Last thing...just about all of them that they had was priced at around $700 or higher. That seemed awfully high to me. What do they typically sell for and what would be considered a good deal?

Thanks for the help.

Nalajr

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks for the help.

Nalajr
I have the 938 and love this gun. It shoots great for such a small gun. Very accurate and easy to get back on target. Not much recoil for what you would expect for such a small gun. I have the extreme and found it for just over $600. You can pick up the sas for under $500

·
Premium Member
22,868 Posts
IMO, they certainly shoot softer than a .357 air weight. +p 9mms are probably on par with +P .38s, but there are some really effective 9mms today that aren't +Ps. I run the 147 HST in mine and they are pleasant to shoot IMO. Even my wife agrees, and she's much more recoil sensitive than I am.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
What's not to like about this little Wonder-Nine.

I may have been lucky, although I hear a lot of likes, but my recently new P938 has an out-of-the-box trigger that breaks like an icicle.

It is also more precise than my best GLOCK, a G36.
It rivals my RUGER Blackhawk if I do my part.

Recoil? W/ either 147 gr. Federal FMJ-FP or RA9T Ranger T's, about like the GLOCK G36/230 gr.

And they flat Work.

And, yes... "If it slides... Grease it."

Nutter

·
Premium Member
5,792 Posts
Mine has fired +p and it is still a comfortable shooter. No issues. Love it!

·
Registered
11,258 Posts
Sorry to disagree with all of you, I found that the P938 has much more recoil and is hard on the hand to shoot than for instance G26, Shield, or Mod 2 Springfield. It makes a great EDC, but I shoot it rarely...

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I've been carrying a 938 for a few years now. I was surprised at the way it shot right out of the box. The over all feel was good and the recoil very manageable. I have small hands and have a tough time with recoil, this one fits the bill. Personally I think you will find it very acceptable for a small package 9mm.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.