Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Allegheny General
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older sig.556 that started FTE on every mag. I have thoroughly cleaned everything. Are these things ammo sensitive? It ran fine when I first got it. It has less than a 1000 rd through it. I have read that sig service department is pretty bad. I am going to try different ammo but I expect more for what I paid for this . Any ideas?

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
I have an older sig.556 that started FTE on every mag. I have thoroughly cleaned everything. Are these things ammo sensitive? It ran fine when I first got it. It has less than a 1000 rd through it. I have read that sig service department is pretty bad. I am going to try different ammo but I expect more for what I paid for this . Any ideas?
I have an idea.

Trade it in for a good gun.

I don't know why people kept buying SIG America guns and then wonder why they don't work right.

Sorry to sound like a negative nancy but that's how I feel about SIG America guns.

·
Registered
127,460 Posts
I have an idea.

I don't know why people kept buying SIG America guns and then wonder why they don't work right.

Sorry to sound like a negative nancy but that's how I feel about SIG America guns.
Well said, fnfalman. I don’t get it either.

The American copies of the classic German Sigs aren’t too bad, but anything designed in Exeter is pretty much ridiculous.

:brickwall:

·
NRA Benefactor
5,779 Posts
Have you asked this question on the Sig forum? I'm sure there will be many helpful people there who would be glad to help you.

Reactions: Toby196

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Well said, fnfalman. I don’t get it either.

The American copies of the classic German Sigs aren’t too bad, but anything designed in Exeter is pretty much ridiculous.

:brickwall:
Your distaste for American made SIGs is well known, not being confrontational here as I have no SIGs and no "dog in the hunt", just asking a question.

Do you have any idea why the disparity between older German made SIGs and US made? It's not as though American companies can't make fine firearms. So, what's SIG's problem. Don

·
Premium Member
13,226 Posts
Do you have any idea why the disparity between older German made SIGs and US made? It's not as though American companies can't make fine firearms. So, what's SIG's problem. Don
That's a good question!

That relates to other manufacturers as well. Remington, Marlin, S&W revolvers, just to name a few come to mind. Are these historic, if you will, companies at the mercy of the bean counters? :dunno:

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
That's a good question!

That relates to other manufacturers as well. Remington, Marlin, S&W revolvers, just to name a few come to mind. Are these historic, if you will, companies at the mercy of the bean counters? :dunno:
Definitely the case with Remington and Marlin. I'd personally eliminate the S&W revolvers. I think that's the "older is better crowd" giving them bad scores. The new stuff doesn't have the hand finishing of old (way too expensive for that now days) but most, particularly the new big bores like the 460 & 500 Mags are made with superior metallurgy and to tighter tolerances than seen in the past. MIM parts greatly reduce the amount of hand fitting as well as providing greater consistency.

I've had 5 S&W Model 500s, don't ask why, my issues, not the guns. Have two 500 Mag keepers now but all of them have had great triggers and accuracy that 99.9% of shooters can't fully exploit. Don

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
Your distaste for American made SIGs is well known, not being confrontational here as I have no SIGs and no "dog in the hunt", just asking a question.

Bad management putting profit before quality control.

·
Registered
127,460 Posts

Sig does a pretty good job with their metal handguns, even though being much larger is hurting their QC a bit.

Not exactly sure what’s going on with their in house design team. Maybe rushing stuff to market? Maybe too much cost cutting?

It’s obvious they are trying to compete on price more than they did in the past.

·
Registered
874 Posts
can anyone give me some ideas why the bolt doesn't want to extract the shell please?
First off, you along with everyone else on the net, needs to STOP using the term FTE. That could mean a failure to eject or a failure to extract. In your second post, you clarified it by saying Extract, but I'm not even sure if you know the difference at this point.

Generally speaking, if it fails to eject, the extractor and or spring is bad. If it fails to extract, it could be the extractor as well, but could also be a rough chamber. If it's a rough chamber, the empty case is usually left in the chamber and the extractor rips a chunk out of the rim.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
I have an idea.

For years I owned a NY compliant SIG 556 SCM...it ran like a raped ape and was 100% problem free, with not one single failure to feed or extract, ever. It had a better factory trigger than any of the 12 AR 15's I owned, and quick accurate successive shots were easily attainable thanks to the added front weight of it's gas piston apparati.

We'd all like to save the world from agony, but "issues" can be found with every manufacturer/firearm on the planet.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,564 Posts
Sell it and buy a

Colt
BCM
Daniel Defense
LaRue
Spikes
Aero Precision
Etc

Profit

·
Registered
127,460 Posts
For years I owned a NY compliant SIG 556 SCM...it ran like a raped ape and was 100% problem free, with not one single failure to feed or extract, ever. It had a better factory trigger than any of the 12 AR 15's I owned, and quick accurate successive shots were easily attainable thanks to the added front weight of it's gas piston apparati.

We'd all like to save the world from agony, but "issues" can be found with every manufacturer/firearm on the planet.
True

Just some a lot more than others...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.