Sig 516 upper. Good or bad ?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by quantico, Aug 3, 2020.

1. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I found a sale on sig 516 pistol length uppers... and bought one.. is it a pretty good build ??? From sig ?

2. sarge40

sarge40

I have a 516 gen 2 patrol carbine. I like it. Runs flawlessly and ridiculously easy to clean. A bit heavier than a DI carbine however. I know this isn't exactly what you are asking about, but the Sig product, in my experience, seems pretty solid.

As a possible negative, Sig has moved on to pushing the MCX platform while dropping the 516 from their non-LE/mil line, so support may be lacking moving forward. I haven't had to go down that road though.

3. kyjd75

kyjd75

I have several 516s, some of which were bought as uppers and used with Centurion Arms lowers. They are very well built, heavy duty, reliable rifles. Did I mention they are heavy duty built (as in "heavy")?!? Accurate, and being a short stroke external piston system, they run very cleanly. I also have a couple of MCX Virtus rifles, and they do seem to be the future for Sig, and maybe for everyone if Sig is the winner of the NGSW program the Army is conducting, as that submission is MCX based. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 516 upper, especially since Sig has been selling them at very good prices lately. And although Sig is definitely pushing the MCX as its go-to rifle now in the civilian market, there are literally hundreds of thousands of 516 and 716 rifles in use by foreign governments around the world. Support for the 516/716 platform isn't going anywhere for a long time.

4. kyjd75

kyjd75

I sometimes think folks who are enthusiasts of various brands don't realize just how big and successful Sig Sauer USA has become. Last report I read (about a month ago) stated Sig Sauer USA currently has over 2,300 employees and 9 separate manufacturing/research facilities in the USA. Their current manufacturing facilities in New Hampshire are state of the art, as is their ammunition plant in Arkansas. They are selling firearms to governmental agencies/militaries all over the world. Just recently announced two separate contracts with India for a total of 148,000 716 rifles. Of course Sig is now the supplier of sidearms for our own military, and may very well be the next supplier of rifles and machine guns. They are definitely not the small German company that sold "handcrafted" pistols (although Sig Sauer USA is in fact German owned) but they have evolved into a true firearms giant, which I for one think is a good thing, as competition is usually good for everyone.

Out West likes this.