Sig 320 X Carry....opinions

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by pag23, Sep 22, 2019.

1. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

Those that have them...please let me know of your pros and cons..

Thanks!

2. V Gehts

V Gehts

Dry fired only....Sweet Trigger....
    LGS doesn’t have one to rent yet so no further comment.

3. jr24

jr24

Don't own but shot one a bit.

It's fine. The XFrame and flat trigger are nicer than stock IMO but it's still a 320. I don't care for their balance, tall slide and prefer different triggers on my strikers.

But the one I used ran fine and was accurate, decently concealable (I find a Glock 19 easier to conceal due to slide geometry with my carry location). The flat trigger is certainly a plus.

Edit:. You said X Carry not X compact. I also liked that one OK and preferred the longer grip to the compact, but still preferred other options. The rest of the post should stand fine.

pag23 likes this.
  4. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Tactical Elf"

I have the X carry and the X pro Carry. Had the X Compact for a short while.

The X series guns are nice. They shoot well, mine have been 100% reliable and are accurate.
    The polymer Sig uses for the frames feels cheap, don't know how else to explain it. They feel hollow, not solid if that makes sense.

The modularity is not as big a thing as Sig wants it to be, at least to most folks. The P250 was just as modular and was barely noticed. They simply threw a striker fired control system in a 250, tweaked the looks of the slide and frame, rebadged it a 320, and set the world on fire. Despite what Sig says, the 320 is nothing more than a modernized p250 plain and simple.

The fire control system is more complicated especially compared to glocks. It does allow for a nicer trigger overall. The triggers on the 320s, especially the X series guns is one of their strong points.

They are bigger and bulkier. Sig made no attempt at trying to make the 320 smaller or more modern than the original P series guns.

High bore axis, which for me doesn't make a ton of difference, until I really start running them extremely hard. Under most circumstances, it isn't a big deal.

They have had a very short service life so far. Their long term durability and reliability has yet to be determined. IMO I believe with a few more years under their belt, they will be a solid platform, and will continue to gain popularity.

I don't think you will disappointed in the X series guns at all. I do wish Sig would settle on a set design for them and stay with it. I feel like they should spend more time refining the 320 overall rather than releasing more models.

So does the 320 or the X series do anything better than any other pistol?. Not really, but then again does any of the others do anything better than the 320's?. Not really.

TXPO

grecco, jr24 and -JCN- like this.
  5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I only have the P320 X-Five, that I use for bullseye (precision pistol) competition out to 50 yards. It's an amazing gun with a great trigger (I put in a Gray GUns competition trigger kit). Unbelievable how good the trigger and accuracy can be.

Great competition gun, but having taken it apart and looked everything over, I will continue to trust Glock for self-defense. No reason on earth to pay more for the Sig, when Glock is simpler and I am confident it will last longer and be more reliable. I often wear my Glock 43 while practicing at the range with my P320.

-JCN- and dbuck47 like this.
  6. stavey

stavey

X carry or x compact in my opinion both destroy a stock g19. Glock 19s carry concealed like a street brick. The sig X series have.
    Way Better trigger. X series triggers are amazing
    Better sights
    Better ergonomics
    Better accuracy-ransom rest proved this
    In my opinion a flat out better gun that would be difficult to even compare a Glock to. As for slide /bore height, go shoot one and see how irrelevant that actually is. I have custom Glock’s etc.. and can tell you without a doubt the p320 is a better pistol in every sense. My ransom rest agrees.

7. TacticalDesire

TacticalDesire

It's a worse, more expensive Glock for people that don't want to own a Glock.

The flat faced trigger is nice, it just doesn't offer any other advantages that other popular, more established offerings don't have. If you want to buy a bunch of extra frames and slides, the modularity option might be a plus.

8. hardluk1

hardluk1

pag23 The P320 X Carry is comparable to the G19X in size . So my question to you is what do your want it for . HD or range or carry and hd . It maybe a better HD range gun than carry do to the height .

Not on a gluck forum you will get a ton of negative bull poo but what else would you expect and for me I not a glock fan but my carry rotations over the last 5 years have been a a P320c 40 , a m&p 40 4.25 and a lw commander in 45 .

Now my p320 compact 40 is a earlier production model I carry for 4.8 years and for those years I shot it weekly , have right at 6800 hundred rounds of 155gr ammo thru it . My practice load is a 155gr coated swc at 1260fps and carry ammo has been 155gr underwood 1318fps an and have right at 750 rounds of that tru it over 5 years . Triggered did improve over time and is good with out any mushiness and has a 5lb 6oz pull weight and it has had the update . Good trigger for a trigger sweeping style of defensive shooting . I did change the grip to a small compact 4 years ago from a medium for better concealment and I like the old night sights but I just bought a new P320 XC also . Turns out I do like the new X ray front sight . the triggers pull after clean up is a stock 4lb + or - a couple ounces and has the straight trigger that I can work with . The grip has a more 1911 type grip angle a bit straighter than the old grip and smaller circumference . Nice great for medium hands . I like the new style grip after living with it a couple weeks now . Still has the screwy combat sight picture but I can work with that as its like my other p320 . This is one of my few 9mm's and it is easy on the shooter for a shorter barrel . The p320XC is an odd ball to me with a SC slide size and compact grip size compared to what your looking at that has a compact slide and a full grip .

About the difference in Ergo's - glock fan boys love glock grips and all others like or can shoot what evers in the hand glucks included !! ha I not a glock fan buy and don't keep one . Tried a g19.5 traded it for a m&p 4.25 40 I set up for a daughter 5 years ago / apex trigger group and thumb safety , what a sweet shooter and what I carry most now . But the new style P320 xc is very nice and growing on me quickly .

I did not buy my first p320 to get caught up in the modular bs . Change grip size if you need to but if you want a larger small shorter what ever p320 buy another one or you end up with a box of other wise useless parts hanging out !!

Oh I also carry a lw commander some , the m&p and the old p320 so not a brand fan boy .

9. MD357

MD357

Some of us forgo the garbage trigger and plastic sights of a glock, forgive us for going with the "lesser" of the two LOL.

To the OP, I do not own an X-Carry but I do own a couple of Compacts and a Fullsize. First thing I did when available was switch out the XFrame on the full size, so that frame makes a night and day difference as far as I'm concerned. Didn't buy the guns for the modularity either but it can come in handy. Shot the Xcarry and the X compact. Both excellent guns, but don't really offer anything to me as I carry a P365 and will eventually pick up a an XL. Personally, I don't like the bulkiness of the P320 series for carry.

10. jr24

jr24

That's pretty much my complaint with the 320 in a nutshell.

11. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Tactical Elf"

While your ransom rest may agree with you, my findings from actually using the pistols prove to me that neither one is more accurate than the other.
    What a pistol is capable of mechanically, and what I can do with it are two different things.

The two 9 ring hits were at 25 yards also. I didn't shoot the X compact at that distance. Everything else was at 15 yards and in, and the X Compact was at 15 yards and in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Almost everything is relative to each individual shooter, ergonomics, recoil control, etc, etc. Different pistols work differently for different people. To say one pistol, be it Glock, Sig, S&W insert your brand here, is better than another is silly.

Each pistol has benefits, and each has deficiencies. Find which one works best for you and your intended purposes and go with it.

And a custom Glock, MR918 for comparison purposes.
    [​IMG]

TXPO

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    JGIORD, 1L26, Southswede and 4 others like this.
  12. jr24

jr24

Perfectly stated. Fully agree

13. John Watson

John Watson

I sold my CZ P07 and bought the Sig P320 x-carry compact. Shoot really nice and no issues. Waiting for mmt IWB holster from Harry's holsters.

Thinking of buying the x- change P320 RX from Sig rather than installing a Romeo 1 on the compact.

14. reniram

reniram

Nice shooting!

15. grecco

grecco

It is still a Sig, it is still a p320.
    But if you like it, go for it.

jr24 likes this.
  16. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

Excellent post and analysis...thank you!

17. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

Only in FDE...lol

grecco likes this.
  18. hardluk1

hardluk1

Wow the lame excuses guys here come up with not to buy a p320 !! Funny but this is a gluck forum so what more can be expected !!

19. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

The P320 is a interesting creature. Looks like ass. Feels cheap. Bore axis is sky high. Proportions look off for some reason.

But mine shot like a laser. And felt good in the hand.

MD357 likes this.
  20. dbuck47

dbuck47

The 320 was not on my radar until the Army selected it. I went to look at one, rented and shot a standard 320, and bought one. When I went to buy, I looked a the 320 X compact and was tempted, but stuck with the full size regular P320 with night sights. I may get an optics ready X later.

The feel of the 320 is great. I like the ergos, the trigger, and the texture on the grip. It shoots very well for me, and is confidence inspiring. I don't have but 2-300 rounds downrange, but it has been flawless and accurate. As for downsides, as others have said, the plastic used in the frame does not feel as good as a Glock. The reports of AD/ND after the fix have been disconcerting, but ultimately I think they will be attributed to operator error, or improper holster. Keep your finger off the trigger-with the 320 or any gun- until you INTEND to shoot.

I really like the 320, and LOVE shooting it, however it will not yet knock the G17 out of my holster as my go to. While the 320 actually fits my dominant hand a little better, I have a little more real estate on the Glock for my support hand when using the modern two-hand hold. The Glock sits lower in my hand. It comes on target more naturally, but familiarity is certainly a factor with that.

Some like the Glock platform better, some the S&Ws, some the Sig 320, and some others. I think these three especially are pretty equal in most respects; get the one you like best. For day to day, it's Glock for me.