Sig 239 vs. Glock 32

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JohnH, Sep 23, 2002.

1. JohnH

JohnH Millennium Member

I'd like to hear opinions from those of you who have experience with either of these two firearms. How do they compare in regard to recoil, follow-up shots, reliability etc, or any other observations? The grip on the 239 is small for me but I've heard there are aftermarket grips that fill out the grip. Any comments on this would be appreciated also. Thank you, JohnH

2. lunde

lunde

The P239 is sort of between the G32 and G33 in terms of size, and is definitely thinner, especially in the grip. In terms of reliability and accuracy, both are outstanding pistols. It is more a matter of which one fits your hand the best. My P239 is .357 Sig, and has Nill grips. They feel better than the factory grips, and add only a tad to the thickness, specifically at subtle palm swells. Some photos follow...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of it from the rear, showing the palm swells (also in the photo are a Walther P5 Compact, Walther P99, and HK P7 PSP):

[​IMG]

3. JohnH

JohnH Millennium Member

Lunde, thank for your comments and the great pictures. I've handled the P239 but never shot one. I held one several years ago and the grip felt a little thin for my large hands. Recently, I tried one on for size and it didn't feel so bad. Anyway, this pistol seems to get great reviews from those that own it. Really like those grips. Thanks again for the information. JohnH

4. FA

FA

I have both and both are excellent. G32 has greater magazine capacity and ability to take high cap pre ban magazaines and seems lighter. Among other things 239 feels slimer in the grip. Both are tack drivers for me.

The trigger reset after each shot is faster on the 32 and the 32 has consistent trigger pull, as opposed to the 239's first shot DA than single action thereafter. The 239 has a decocker and seems to have more internal moving parts, although shooting operation is pretty much the same in Glock (but for the decocker and double action issue), and I have been able to cross transfer shooting skills from Glock to 239 fairly easily.

Personally, if I could pick only one I would get the 32 first because I already have its spare parts, have been trained with respect to its maintenance, and have alot of experience manipulating/shooting the G23 which shares almost all parts with the G32 and has the same frame. Since I'm used to Glocks, I'd most likely grab a Glock if I had to pick and choose.

Although I prefer the faster trigger reset of the Glock 32, its realitive lightness, and am in general not a double action/decocker proponent, I am very fond of the 239 and am thinking of getting a spare. I can't decide whether to get a spare 239 or 32, I'm conflicted.

I think both handled well at the range, both were accurate, and for me both have only slight recoil. The disparity in speed in trigger reset (i.e. 239 slower) was noticeable to me, but for me did not impact shootability.

Some people have said there is a big difference in shooting the two because a Sig has a higher bore axis, different grip, etc. However, for me both handle equally well, and I think with enough training/practice both will serve well. You will have to make a difficult "win win" decision, as I think both are fine choices.

Regards,

FA

5. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

I've had both the G32 and Sig 239/357 (still have the Sig). Both are excellent guns; but the G32 is quite a bit bigger. The 239 conceals IWB much better, and its grip feels better in my hand. Mine wears Hogue wooden grips; they just feel great.

If small size isn't very important to you, I recently got a Springfield XD357, (a G32-class gun) that also fits me better than the Glock.

6. JohnH

JohnH Millennium Member

FA, JR, thank you for you comments; exactly what I was looking for. I've owned a 23 & 26. Both were excellent pistols; 100% reliable with excellent combat shooting capabilities. I sold the 40 because I don't like the harsh recoil, and the 26 because the grip is a little too short when drawing. I recently shot a 32 and was really surprised at the lack of recoil. Anyway, for some reason - maybe getting older - I'm leaning toward a double-action pistol. It just seems safer when you have to throw your pistol in an overnight bag or when carrying Mexican style for quick trips to the dumpster/mail box.

The P239 is really appealing due its flat/narrow shape (width being the biggest problem with the Glock). The P229 fits my hand better but seems to be even wider than the Glocks. Anyway, thanks again for the comments. JohnH

7. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

I carry a 239. Several reasons:

1. K.I.S.S. It is the same platform as the 229 I carry on duty. The buttons, switches, levers, gizmos are all the same.

2. More compact than the 32. Slimmer than the 33.

3. My dept. won't allow Glocks (they think they are the tools of Satan, or something ;t )

4. The felt recoil of the .357 SIG round in a small gun is not as noticable to me in the Sigs.

OX

8. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

I prefer the feel of the 229.
    The 239 is thinner, however.
    Even thinner than the G33.;P

9. LewisQ

LewisQ 357SIG/10mm

I have a Glock 32 that I seldom carry. I carry the 33 most of the time and sometimes the 239. The 239 is thiner but it is heavier as well.

10. JohnH

JohnH Millennium Member

As usual, the P239 is getting good reviews. Have any of you besides Mr. Lunde changed your grips. I'm kind of worried about the small grip. Need something to fill in for my large hands. JohnH

11. lunde

lunde

I also have the Hogue finger-grooved wrap-around grips, but don't like them very much. I prefer the factory grips over them, but prefer the Nills over both. If you have large hands, the Hogues that I described above will help a lot.

12. JohnH

JohnH Millennium Member

Thanks Ken! I've heard the Hogues are tacky and catch on clothing. Ken, how many guns do you own in .357 Sig, and which one do you like best. Sorry for all the questions. This will be the last. Thanks. JohnH

13. lunde

lunde

I own the following .357 Sig guns:

G31
    G32
    G33 x 2
    Sig P226
    Sig P229
    Sig P239
    HK USP357 Compact

I also have .357 Sig conversion barrels for my G20, G29, and G35. I also have Bar-Sto .357 Sig conversion barrels on order for my .40 Auto P99s and Beretta 96G Elite II.

It's hard to say which I like the best. For concealment, one of my G33s or my Sig P239 feel the best.

14. JohnH

JohnH Millennium Member

Ken, you obviously like the Sig. round! Thank again for sharing the information with me. JohnH

15. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I like the full sized Sigs and have owned the P220 and P226.

The P239 is a great shooter in 9mm but with its short grip and high bore axis, I felt a lot more snap and pop with 357 sig that I do in any of the 357 sig Glocks.

And the DA/SA transition is another issue. You really do have to get a trigger job done on your Sigs if you want a smoooooth as butter DA pull. Most people don't have the time or the inclination to learn the skill to do it.

With the Glock, who cares? Well I do. I dropped a 3.5 trigger connector and smoothed out my trigger action. But that's me.

As to the 239 against the G32/33, the Glocks have less parts and my P220/226 busted springs a couple of times luckily on the range.

Me, I carry the G33 in summer and the G32 in the fall/winter. Just switched today to my larger carry gun since Fall is here.

16. JohnH

JohnH Millennium Member

duncan, thanks for the comments. Over at the SigForum, someone said the G32 had sharper recoil than their P239. I'll bet that has to do with the lower bore-axis of the Glock transfering the recoil straight back into the hand where the Sig's is transfered through greater muzzle flip. Anyway, both guns have received great comments. Thanks again, for replying to the thread. JohnH

17. Guest

I have both the 239 and the 32...along with a G35 in .357 sig (bar-sto barrel)

It really comes down to fit...as my learned colleagues have pointed out.

They are both fine shooters...and the Glock manual at arms is preferable IMHO...but I wouldn't feel undergunned with either.