Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody shed some light on how these two compare for primary CCW?

I've heard from legions of satisfied G26 owners and the Glock feels good in my hand. I've fired a G23 and G30 and I like the Glock concept of keeping it simple. But I just started considering Sig.

Sigs feel good to me as well and have a solid reputation.

The 239 looks like it'd be harder to conceal and more work to carry than the 26 due to extra weight and size.

Trigger - I wonder if the 239 has an advantage in the trigger department for a SD pistol. On the SA/DA model the first shot is DA; or the DAK trigger is a consistent 7 lbs. Everyone seems to rave about the DAK.

Accuracy should be more than adequate with either pistol for intended use.

What else should I consider about these two? Thanks! :beer:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I recently switched from carrying my 26 for a 239-9 and love the 239. It is larger than the 26 but about the same size as the 19. I rarely ever carry the 26 anymore it's either the 239 or my 19. The 26 is a little easier to conceal, but with a good IWB the 239 is just as easy. I actually prefer the 239 IWB vs. the 26 IWB, I find the 26 is a little harder to get a quick/secure grip on when carried with the flat mag base. The only disadvantage I can think of is the 239 in 9mm has a capacity of 8+1 vs. 10+1 but it's not something I sit up worrying about. About the DA/SA of the sig, I love the Sig trigger compared to the Glock (to each his own). I like the DA/SA for ccw but I feel just as comfortable with the Glock for ccw.
It's all personal preference. I enjoy Glock's and I enjoy Sig's, both are addicting I'm planning on a 229-9 next. If you decide on the Sig I think you will be pleased. I forgot to mention about accuaracy. I shoot better with the Sig. I qualified the other week for off-duty use with both I shot a 46/50 with the 26 and a 50/50 with the Sig. For me the sig has been more accurate, but for you it may be the other way around!? Good luck in your decision!

·
Proud Pop
754 Posts
The P239 isn't harder to conceal but it's a bit heavier to carry. Both conceal easy but the light weight of the G26 gives it an edge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
if youre wanting light weight gun, screw the glock and sig and get the walther p99c in 9mm. it weighs only 18oz dry! w/ that said, i carry the p239 cause i couldnt find a 99c in 9mm and ran across the p239 9mm and i LOVE IT!!! it totally blows the g23 i had away!! it really is a perfect ccw and duty gun (for small people and plain clothes leo's) as its size and weight is not that bad. the gun is really not that heavy IMHO. its like 25oz dry (see why i recommend the walther? its a half pound lighter!) anf the same size as ag19 (supposedly). i think that it smaller b/c the gun has a higher bore axis which makes the total height 5.01 inches or so while, the grip itself IS smaller than the g19/23-i measured. the grip does not bump the chair when you sit down-nearly as bad as the glocks. but either way you WILL love any of these firearms! jeffe007

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the P239 field strip as easily as a Glock?

Do Sig triggers get better with use, or are they the same from NIB to forever?

What's the consensus on the favored P239 trigger - is it the DAK or TDA?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sigs have IMO the best triggers on the market next to walther's quick action. walther's QA has almost zero travel take up (slack) and a very very clean glass like break. Sigs are right below that but, the sig sauer trigger doesnt 'break' like a walther or glock. its more mechanical and lets you feel every thing inside working right up until it goes 'bang'! as im sure you know, the sig trigger is alot heavier when its NIB but its butter smooth IMO. And just wait until after youve put about 500 rounds thru it and 1000 dry fires and youll see the trigger gets even more accurate and smooth and lighter. now this is for a TDA/SA-like mine.

if i had had the choice, i wouldve gotten the p239 in DAK! its honestly just as good as the walther IMO. you can not go wrong with a p239 DAK in 9mm or .357sig. i personally do not like a .40 especially in a small gun.

either way, you cant go wrong!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How durable is Sig's Nitron finish? I'll be frequently carrying in hot weather, which means sweat, and sweat is hell on a gun's finish.

Glock's tennifer is super durable, what about the Sig finish? If I decide on a Sig over Glock, am I better off with a Two-Tone Sig for durability?

I like the DAK trigger after looking them over, and the SAS sure is a sexy beast. Now it's just a matter of deciding if the SAS is worth the extra coin (which also means buying .40 ammo). Not like I *need* the wood grips and anti-snag treatment. I don't think the regular P239 is exactly snag-prone.

I still can't discount the Glock 26 - it's lighter with a great finish, and it's $200 less than a 239 DAK and $250 less than a SAS! :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
if thats the case then get a USED Sig!!! Expecially a CPO!! Should be a little less than a new glock. however, i would look at (at teh very least) the walther p99c. it has the tennifer treatment on the slide and is about 3oz lighter than the glock 26.

the sig finish seems pretty good to me as ive sweated on mine now for over 2 mos. and have had no problem. however, i do put militec-1 on it and then eitehr heat the metal up to embed the oil or shoot it. now, i did this with the glock and it was awesome for it. after 1000 rounds, the slide looked like brand new w/ almost no wear! good luck!!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I previously owned a Glock 27 and I just picked up a 239. Today I got a VersaMax II for the 239. It seems to me that the 239 in a VMII is the perfect combo. A little thinner than my Sig 229. When I had the Glock, I just couldn't seem to find a comfortable spot for it. Granted I wasn't carrying it in a VMII, but I was using a Summer Special II. Persoanlly, I don't think you'll go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a Glock 23 and a Sig 239 in .40 cal. The Sig is my favorite for carry, I NEVER carry the Glock. The GLock is lighter, has more rounds 13 vs 7, and is slightly smaller. I carry the Sig because I can get hits with it, its a very accurate gun. I also am more comfortable with the DA/SA trigger than the GLock trigger. I would not drop a Glock into a pocket or just stick it into the wasteband of your pants, but the Sig trigger system works for me. I like the DAK idea, but the Sig's SA trigger is really nice for a accurate shot. Only problem is the grip screws are rusting (get a hogue for sure), but I keep them oiled and its fine.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The main turn-off of the Sig for me is the nitron finish isn't supposedly that durable. It'll see some sweat in the AZ heat.
I'd definitely go with two-tone.

If I could find a shop with a 9mm two-tone in stock, I'd be awfully tempted to be honest. I can tell the Sig is a quality weapon, just a little on the hefty side compared to subcompact polymer-framed pistols.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Originally posted by jeffe007
i do put militec-1 on it and then eitehr heat the metal up to embed the oil or shoot it.
What does your heat treatment consist of (i.e., source of heat, temperature, duration)?

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
Compared to the Glock rust resistant finish, the SiG Nitron finish is poor. If you plan to wear it close up in high humidity and/or high temperature, get it hard chromed or a guaranteed tough finish.

Here is Arizona, my SiGs are owb carry guns. This climate proves or disproves the value of a particular finish. If you like the SiG, get a used one from CDNN or a private owner and get it refinished.

Nitron is good, it just doesn't compare to Tenifer or Melonite.

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
Originally posted by Capstone
What does your heat treatment consist of (i.e., source of heat, temperature, duration)?

The easiest way to heat treat the Militec lube and keep your wife from screaming like a banshee, is to buy a used toaster oven at a thrift store and very gently heat the stripped weapon for 15 to 20 minutes on low heat. Don't use the family oven to do this. The missus will find out and nothing smells worse than oil scented baked fish that you are forced to eat.

Shooting the weapon to heat the Militec is great for auto weapons, but semi auto weapons don't heat up enough and transfer heat evenly. It tends to waste ammo too. Unfortunately, most long guns must be treated by rapid fire shooting due to their length.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by blueiron
Compared to the Glock rust resistant finish, the SiG Nitron finish is poor. If you plan to wear it close up in high humidity and/or high temperature, get it hard chromed or a guaranteed tough finish.

Here is Arizona, my SiGs are owb carry guns. This climate proves or disproves the value of a particular finish
Does the Sig two-tone finish solve the problem, or does that only help on the slide?

My gun will be carried mostly OWB as well, but I'd like to be able to carry IWB and not worry about the finish. I guess that is pushing me toward the Glock or Walther P99C, both have the tennifer finish.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The slide is the only issue, the frame is alloy. I don't know about the durability of the two-tone slide, I've never had one. You could have the slide hard chromed and have a very durable gun.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm doing the same comparison for myself......though in my case, it's not for a CCW gun - just want a smaller gun for the collection.

There's something about the P239 that I'm drawn too right now - can't quite figure out what it is. I like the G26, and may eventually get one too, but the P239 is the winner for me right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 239 is 4 years old now. Not one single problem with rust EVER and it has been my CCW since day one. I treat my guns like low maintenance. I also can say that I don't keep a lot of oil on it either. I clean it once when I get home from the range and inspect it occasionally for lint, etc... Hundreds and hundreds of rounds of all kinds, maybe 2000 or so or more. 100% reliable! I think they definitely got it right when they made this gun.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have both G26 and P239 in .40 S&W. Love both! Both are pretty easy to carry, nod going to Glock 26 for being smaller and lighter. Accuracy and pointability go to the Sig. Capacity goes to the glock obviously. Both are easy to shoot, even with the 3.5 and NY1 in the glock 26. Its a very tough choice...sometimes 239 and g26 both go along...sig strong side, glock weak side (easier to shoot weak handed). The sig points a little better for me, and I dont have to worry bout the web of my hand getting sliced up. The grip on the sig is more to my liking, and I have the Hogue fingergroove rubber grips for even more control. Sig control the .40 very well, too...very soft for a .40!

The whole nitron issue is stupid. Stainless slide underneath, so in many cases, its a moot point :upeyes: . You can always refinish. OR just take care of the gun in the first place...clean, wipe down with oil, and then wipe off the excess. The grip screws do tend to show a little rust, but you can get replacement ones that are stainless or blackened stainless IIRC.

I have the TDA and its very smooth. The sig is a more medium size like the 19, vs the 26. Also, look at the Kahr pistols for a slim single stack DA gun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts