close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sig 239 .40

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ProtectedByGlock, Feb 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ProtectedByGlock

ProtectedByGlock

I have a chance to buy a new Sig 239 .40 i wanted a 229 but this price is hard to beat. Any thoughts or comments on this pistol? I am on the fence and need a push one way or the other! Thanks:wavey:

2. up1911fan

up1911fan

The single stack make's a great carry gun, probably my favorite sig.

3. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

If there's a more accurate reliable pistol in the size and price range of the 239 I've never heard of it. They were designed from the start as a pistol for CC but they are just big enough to get a good grip yet small enough to conceal fairly easily. I hate rubber grips but the Hogue finger groove grips are a must on the 239 as they really make it a much better handling pistol.

[​IMG]

4. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

My P239 SAS DAK .357 SIG is one of my principal carry weapons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. fastbolt

fastbolt

I've often considered picking up a P239 chambered in 9mm or .40 S&W.

If I didn't already own a late production 3913 and 4040PD I might have gotten a bit more serious about picking up the compact Sig in one or the other caliber.

While a bit fat in the grip, the 239 seems to handle and balance well for most owners, the trigger is acceptable for a service-type compact and the fat grip and backstrap actually help control the harder recoiling .40 S&W.

Occasionally you hear of someone who is surprised by the recommended maintenance requirements of the Sig Sauer pistols, especially when it comes to their lubrication requirements, but some review of their website maintenance guide videos, and especially their Preventive Maintenance Guide in .pdf format, can familiarize potential buyers with the way Sig recommends their guns be maintained.
    http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/MaintenanceGuides.aspx

Personally, I don't care for the Enhanced Double Action models (DAK), preferring their Traditional Double Action models, but that's just my own preference.

Like I said, if I didn't already own an excellent 3913 I'd have probably bought a P239. I suppose I still might someday, if I ever come across one at an attractive enough price to motivate me to add yet another good quality 9mm or .40 S&W gun to my collection.

Try one at a local range if all possible.

6. JFrame

JFrame

I knew a special agent at ICE who carried a personal 239 (agency-approved alternative) in preference to the issue 229's and later Glocks. He loved the way the 239 carried and handled.

7. a1b2c3

a1b2c3

I've owned both 239 and 229 in 40. They are both great accurate weapons and if the price is right for you then you will not be disappointed.

8. HiVelSword

HiVelSword Sweetn the ride

Had one in .357 SIG and shot a friends in .40

Both recoiled softly. But that's due to one of the minuses. It's heavy for it's size. Likes to shift in a belly band. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend it. I do! I'd rather have heavier weight and faster follow up shots. And the comfort level of shooting the 239 would keep you practicing longer.

Only other qualm I have is that the front strap is very squared off. I fixed that myself with a pair of Hogues w/finger grooves. Night and day difference.

Only reason I sold mine was that I was in dire straits financially and needed some quick cash. Sold it to a friend so it's all good.

9. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

The P239 is one of the thinnest .40's you can find, short of a Kahr. In fact, that it's so thin and flat is one of the reasons I carry it...other than the obvious; it's very reliable.

I'm an unabashed 1911 and .45 ACP enthusiast, but my favorite,and most carried person handgun is a stock P239. Mine is .40 s&w.

I bought both, and own both, and found that I have a hard time deciding which I like better. The DAK is an excellent trigger system, in my opinion, but then I'm very comfortable qualifying with a double action revolver, too. I carried them long before I carried self-loading pistols, and the DAK is like shooting a smooth double action revolver, except that it offers a short reset, if one wishes. I normally carry a standard DA/SA P239 with a stock trigger arrangement, but am very happy with the DAK, too.

I'm not aware of any unique requirements for the Sig line. Nor for the P239, specifically. Clean it per normal, lubricate it per normal, including grease for the rails. Nothing at all unusual, no unusual requirements to maintain, clean, or lubricate the Sig products. It's just another handgun which functions well, is accurate enough, and has been and continues to be very reliable.

10. 2740dmx

2740dmx

I hate to be the only one to not join the 239 love fest, but...

actually, I loved my Sig 239 (40 cal), UNTIL i rented a G27 and shot it side-by-side with my 239.

I grouped better, faster follow-up shots, the glocks run with less lube, the glock is lighter, higher capacity, and most important (for me), was the short grip. (important because it conceals so much easier for me)

People laugh at me, but i traded my sig for the glock.

most of my life, i was all about Sig, and still love them, but for concealed carry...

Go Glock!

11. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

That's pretty much my story as well. Carried a P239 in .357 and trained with it quite a lot. Finally realized that I was never going to be able to shoot a gun with two different trigger pulls as well as a Glock. The thin grip is a little nicer than the fat Glock grip but overall the size is not significantly different than a G19/23/32. I used a Hogue grip on mine for a while because it felt better but I found that in a training environment the gun was not as easy to handle so I went back to stock.

12. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

Why didn't you get the DAK trigger? It's one pull with no safeties or decocking levers. The LEM trigger on the H&K is similar. You can buy either module from the factories or their distributors for after-the-sale installation.

I carry either the Sig P239 SAS DAK, the H&K USP Compact LEM or a Commander-sized 1911. With the SIG or the H&K I just pull the trigger, if it doesn't fire, I have a second strike capability with both of them.

13. ProtectedByGlock

ProtectedByGlock

Thank you all for the replies and recommendations! I should have mentioned i have quite a few Glocks (17,2x19,21sf,22,23,27) I find the 27 just too small and am afraid I will feel the same way about the 239. The 19/23 are perfect size, and the added weight would actually be nice in the .40

14. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

I had a 239 in 9mm and only traded it when I decided to go with 40 cal. It was my favorite gun to carry. Flawless at the range and easy to conceal.

15. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

The only Sig I've bought was the April Special back when Sig did specials. It was all stainless nickel finish with the Hogue grips in .40 S&W. I sold it because I'm not a big DA/SA guy. If you like that trigger variation, then it's hard to beat in my opinion. Really I regret selling it... it was a very nice pistol.

It was accurate, completely reliable as I expected, and felt good in my hands. It at least felt and seemed thinner than a Glock and HK which is something I preferred from the get go. People kept on telling me that I'll get tired of the heft for CC, but I didn't mind it at all. I procured a 239 holster from High Noon, and the gun carried like a dream.

If you get it in .40, make sure you find a .357 Sig barrel. The Hogue grips were also very beneficial.

16. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

AFAIK there was no DAK trigger back then. In fact I recently got back into shooting after 5-6 years and I only recently heard of the DAK trigger. One day I'll try it. BTW, can a DA/SA be converted to DAK?

17. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

My G27 often rides in an ankle holster when I'm carrying the P239. The glock is a nice spare.

18. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

The P239 is an outstanding cc weapon. If it works for you, go for it and don't look back.

I own a P239 in 9mm and it is a suh-weet(!) shooter. My wife also loves it.

19. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

DAK CONVERSION MODEL P
    • Available on P220, P226, P229, P239
    • Late model frames only
    • Original parts returned with firearm

$199.95

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsContent/documents/2007-SIG-Customer-Shop-Price-List.pdf

20. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker