close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sides or tips for Crockpot Duck?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Ron3, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Ron3

Ron3

My wife and I are making a duck dinner for two guests and need some advice.

I am going to cook the duck in a crockpot. It's 5.3lb duck.

Should I quarter it then cook it or cook it whole?

It comes with an orange sauce packet. Should I put the sauce in the pot or inject it?

How about some sides? Oriental uncle bens rice mix and some frozen spinach is what I was thinking of.

How about a beverage?

Maybe wine? Pinot Noir too strong for duck?

Perhaps a bottle of "Cold Duck" sparkling wine by Andre?

What do you think?

Ron3

2. CZ-75A

CZ-75A

Go to some recipe sites like foodtv.com and check out duck recipes, particularly "duck a la orange." I'm guessing that these will suggest ROASTING the duck. Making something like "coq au vin" would be better for a crock pot.

It is my opinion that anything that comes in a packet will taste like sh_t, so make the orange sauce separate. A good recipe of the web should tell you how to make your own orange sauce with orange juice.

I don't know about the wine, but sparkling wine probably isn't a good choice.

http://www.recipesource.com/main-dishes/meat/poultry/duck/indexall.html

BTW, Pinot Noir seems to be a dead-on choice for duck:

http://www.deliaonline.com/ingredients/food/a_0000001146.asp

3. noway

noway

Quater the duck would make it cook easier and handle better when serving. Never heard of anybody actually crocking Pot a duck, but they roast and bake very nicely.

The orange sauce should be applied just before serving in my opinion, so don't place it in the crock pot. You might want to heat that over the stove and apply after the duck was finish.

As far as sides, I like roasted red-skins potatoes and uncle bens wild rice. You can also and a side dish or pineapples or peeled oranges or tangerines if you can still get them.

as far as wine, anything can go with duck. A good red wine like a Shiraz, goes very well with duck.

P.S> if this is your 1st time doing duck, I wouldn't crock it but bake it. Much simpler and very tasty. I like the pre-quaters ducks pkgs or just the split duck halves. One of these is more than enough meat for a person and the is very tender when cooked right.

4. Ron3

Ron3

Thanks for the help!

We've cooked whole chicken in the crock pot and it came out great, thats why we thought we'd do the same with the duck. Were thinking of cooking it, then cutting it up into slices best we can, seasoning, then put on the plate with the two sides.

For sides were thinking wild rice and fresh green beans, also some yeast dinner rolls.

I'm thinking maybe Vandange Pinot Noir or their Cabernet Savignon. Fair wine at a cheap wine as I recall.

We also have some Andre "Cold Duck" sparkling wine. Cheap but pretty tasty to me.

Leaning towards key lime pie for dessert.

Sound good?

Ron3

5. CZ-75A

CZ-75A

Duck is fatty and rich, so I would roast it or go with a recipe that specifically called for stewing. I think the link I posted had 65 different duck recipes, so try something other than "a la orange."

I used to go to a restaurant that served medium rare duck medallions over pasta with a garlic mushroom sherry tarragon sauce, which was pretty darned good. Still, they roasted the duck for that.

6. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Stop! It can't be done!
    For the love of God!
    ;a

Really, it's a completely different animal than a chicken...
    An unbelievable amount of fat...

Any liquids in the Crock would be inedible...

Make some small slits in the skin without hitting the meat, season,
    then roast in the oven for an hour or so...
    Baste with a mix of Margarine, Paprika, Lemon juice, Garlic Powder, Honey, salt and pepper.

Line up 2-3 ducks in a row this way...
    There's not a lot of meat on a duck, and you certainly couldn't fit more than one in a crockpot anyway...

Brining the duck the night before helps put moisture and flavor in to the meat...

The difference between good and bad duck is the difference between juicy/flavorful meat and dry/bland meat...

True, ducks are fatty, but the meat is lean...
    A thick layer of fat can sit atop a piece of dry meat... weird...

;c

7. Mild Bill

Oh, and for wine!

An ice cold german white like those blue bottles of Schmitt-Sohne
    Spatlese or Kabinett German Riesling...

Mildly sweet and even appealing to people who don't love wine..

8. deutscheglocker

deutscheglocker

This didn't post earlier.

Roast duckling is my favorite meal.

I AM NOT A COOK NOR DO I ROAST DUCKLING but a 78 year old German lady who I'll call MOM does it very well.

# 1 Do not crockpot the duckling.

The roasting process is what gives it the outstanding flavor.
    Mom roasts the duckling on high heat for about an hour. She does not cut slits in the skin. The high heat will melt off most of the fat.
    Drain ALL of the visible fat and replace with water, This will ensure enough stock material to make gravy ( if you so choose ) I personally would suggest doing so.
    She quarters potatoes, cuts up carrots and I believe onions and places them in the roasting pan with the ducks ( two would be better for serving four as most people like the breast meat )
    Besides, I like to snack on leftover cold duckling the next day.

I'll have to check on other specifics ( time to roast, temp, other spices etc, etc )and repost.

The potatoes I mash with a fork and smother with duckling gravy.

I have had orange glaze duckling at a little German restaurant northeast of Pittsburgh called the Kleiner Deutscheman and it was very good but I am partial to Mom's ( meat and potatoes ) duckling.

Good luck and good eating. ( my mouth is watering on the keyboard )

Deutscheglocker

9. Ron3

Ron3

I still don't see what could possibly go wrong crock potting the duck. Tell me.

Ron3

10. Mild Bill

Ron, can you crock pot 5.3 pounds of bacon?

11. noway

noway

{Ron, can you crock pot 5.3 pounds of bacon?}

LOL

Listen to the deutscheglocker, that's the way to cook duck with the trimmings.

12. Ron3

Ron3

Never tried it.

I'm guessing by your tone ya can't, but I still don't see why.

Big chunks of fat floating around or something?

If it stays together and is moist and tender, whats the problem?

Ron3

13. Ron3

Ron3

I did some more searching on the net and found lots of recipes for crockpot duck. No one mentioned anything about having problems other then discarding any onions or apples or whatever fruit used to cook in the broth.

Whats the big deal?

Yea I know I'm being stubborn but I'm one of those "Why not?" people.

Ron3

14. Ron3

Ron3

The reason why I want to crockpot it is so I can't screw up and dry it out by roasting it.

The crockpot has always been a "safe bet" for us.

Ron3

15. noway

noway

Very hard to "dry out" duck. The fatty susbatnce around most duck meat will keep it moist and worst case you can use some of it to mop the duck with.

16. JadedOne

JadedOne

DO NOT CROCK POT THE DUCK

Here's why - Duck meat is very fatty, which means very greasy. When you cook something in a crock pot, the pot actually helps to tenderize and moisten the meat with the water you've added to the bottom, hence the not drying out. All the moisture is sealed in the pot. However, duck is a little TOO moist already, therefore you want to get rid of some (actually, a lot) of the grease/moisture. You do this by roasting. The mark of badly cooked duck in a restaurant is actually greasy duck, because they have so much fat on them. And to ease your fears, you'd probably have to cook your duck with a flamethrower for it to be dry, and even THEN you'd have to have done it for awhile.

In conclustion DO NOT CROCK POT THE DUCK

17. Ron3

Ron3

Okay I'm convinced.

I shall roast the duck.

Thanks! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Ron3:cool:

18. Ron3

Ron3

The duck turned out great!

Cooked for 1hr 45min. The sauce it came with was pretty good too. Has wild rice, green beans, rolls, and Reisling wine (the stuff in the blue bottle).

We roasted the duck in a racked pan, which let the grease drip off. Basted it a few times. It was no greasier than standard dark chicken meat.

All were pleased.

Thanks folks!

Ron3

(PS good thing I didn't crock pot it!)

19. Mild Bill

Fantastic!
    That wine's nice isn't it?

;c

20. Ron3

Ron3

Yea, I thought that wine was a safe bet. We a little about wine but our guests know far more. He has a cooler in his garage just to keep wine at the perfect tempeture (48 degrees or something like that) and buys wine by the case.

They meant to bring a bottle but forgot. They did bring what they needed to make Appletini's. ;f

Ron3