Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Im relatively new to hunting. Im just wondering what sidearms everyone carries while hunting, if any? Living in the southeast I feel pretty good with my G23 and some underwood 155gr xtp rounds in it. I reckon its a good mixture of protection against 2 and 4 legged threats.

Has anyone ever used a pistol to "finish" off a deer or other big game? If so where is the most ethical shot placement? I figured its more ethical to finish it than let it suffer.

I appreciate any information.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I don't hunt but for the past 18 years I have had no issues putting down deer with a headshot from my duty weapon.
I don't know where else to shoot it. Hunters yell at me. But so far every single time I have done it, they die. No trying to run off. No flopping. No need for second shot. Bang. Dead. Drag off the roadway.

Using Winchester Ranger 125gr T-series JHP in 357SIG. That's been our duty round since we switched to the Glock 31 almost 10 years ago. Before that was .40 cal with a Glock 22.

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
Double check your state laws! I don't carry a "backup" while hunting.. actually, in Connecticut, it is illegal to have a second firearm on you while hunting (I need to double check that, but that is my understanding). I hunt mostly in Vermont, but only carry one rifle with me (usually 30-30 Winchester lever action). I thought this was a familiar sounding thread... from last year, a thread that might be interesting to you:

http://www.glocktalk.com/threads/share-what-you-carry-during-the-hunt.1592053/

Hmm... just went and quickly looked at some hunting laws here in CT : http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2700&q=573532&deepNav_GID=1633#TOP

I am not allowed to carry a handgun while BOW hunting, but it doesn't say I can't carry a handgun while rifle or shotgun hunting. All these regulations get so confusing...

·
Banned
4,989 Posts
Not able to carry a sidearm while hunting?

OMG that is a STUPID law.

·
Ruggedly handsome
24,045 Posts
I carry a G-20 for hunting I have actually takin many deer with this pistol with 180gr hornady XTPs.
I've taken deer out to abot 80yds with the 10mm, for longer shots I carry a savage Stryker chambered in 308! With both handguns I'm good from 0 to about 400yds!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I was a rural State cop. I killed hundreds of injured game animals and farm animals during my 23 years on the road. A .22 works fine IF you can shoot them right in the ear canal angled towards the brain. Problem being many wounded or injured game animals will look at you face on , as you are a threat.
I've seen .38's and 9mms skid off the skull on deer and elk on frontal head shots.

A lot depends on WHAT you carry. Years back when I guided elk hunters I carried a Smith M-696 in .44 Spcl. With 255 gr Keith slugs over 8.0 of Unique I got about 950 fps. I could shoot a wounded elk in the neck or even a heart /lung shot and kill it handily. Good bullet diameter and good penetration makes a huge difference.

I would go heavy for caliber and less expansion versus fast/light and expanding.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Glock 20 with 5.5" barrel, though sometimes a Kimber 1911 10mm, or SW Mountain Gun in 44mag. Finished a cow elk with the Kimber 10mm one year with a head shot. I always have a 10mm or larger pistol with me in the woods while in the mountains. No problem carrying the sidearm in the woods while hunting in CO, but to use it on game it has to be legal for the game and season. E.g. I can't use a 44mag to finish off en elk during bow season. However, I can use it to kill or finish off an elk during gun season provided the pistol meets the min. requirements (4" barrel and 550ft-lbs at 50 yards).

It's comforting to have here. Lots of times here you don't have a rifle with you. There's the obvious, nature calls, but also while skinning/quartering big game. (Usually someone takes the shooter's long gun back to camp and trades it for the game packs.) Hiking out with an elk quarters on your back. Like walking bear bait. Or just lounging in camp - rifles are usually unloaded and cased (due to vehicle transport requirements).

·
Bird Catcher
2,763 Posts
Really depends on what I'm hunting as to what I carry. Most of the time though I Have a S&W 65 in .357mag on me.

If I'm finishing a deer off I usually will shoot in the neck.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
While hunting any 'finishing off' is done with the hunting gun, whatever that may be. If one was bow hunting, it's illegal to follow up with a handgun in about every State.

Many wouldn't want to think about it, but the ear canal mentioned above gets the job done. I like lightweight with handguns, no boat anchor for me unless necessary.

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
Hunted all my life. (and I am starting to get up in years) I've hunted 50 years now.

I've never found a reason to carry a side arm while hunting. I've never hunted with anyone that carried a sidearm while hunting. But the men I hunt with have hunted their whole lives too

Seen guys with a sidearm, but I reserve comment on what I thought.

There are a lot of ways to rationalize doing it. But in reality it isn't necessary. (unless you are in brown bear territory)

To the OP. If the deer is so close to death that you can approach it and shoot it cleanly with a handgun, just back away for a few minutes and let it die. A good rule is to stay in your stand 20 minutes after you shoot a deer. Watch where it goes. Let it lay down, stiffen up and die before you go chasing it through the woods or fields.

·
Bird Catcher
2,763 Posts
Hunted all my life. (and I am starting to get up in years) I've hunted 50 years now.

I've never found a reason to carry a side arm while hunting. I've never hunted with anyone that carried a sidearm while hunting. But the men I hunt with have hunted their whole lives too

Seen guys with a sidearm, but I reserve comment on what I thought.

There are a lot of ways to rationalize doing it. But in reality it isn't necessary. (unless you are in brown bear territory)

To the OP. If the deer is so close to death that you can approach it and shoot it cleanly with a handgun, just back away for a few minutes and let it die. A good rule is to stay in your stand 20 minutes after you shoot a deer. Watch where it goes. Let it lay down, stiffen up and die before you go chasing it through the woods or fields.
Not necessary? So let me get this straight. You hunt until dark, unload your rifle as per the laws in almost every state and walk home. Bad guy tries to kill you. Is a sidearm unnecessary?

You're hunting where you walk in from your truck. Going back to your truck you unload your deer rifle because you have to walk down the road and it's the law in almost every state. Someone tries to do you harm, is a sidearm unnecessary?

You're on a handgun forum, do you carry concealed? Is it necessary? I mean you can always call 911.

Just curious. Seems to be a lot of people who find carrying a concealed weapon perfectly logical to the store but not into the woods. I can't figure it out for the life of me, especially on a gun forum.

·
Registered
12,706 Posts
I guess I am lucky. In 50 years I've never had a bad guy try to kill me in the woods. I never even think about it.

I walk to my stand and back to the truck with the gun loaded and nothing in the chamber. If you check the laws you may find they specifically address an empty chamber as allowable. I know Colorado and other states use that definition.

I am just sharing my experience. It's legal to carry sidearm while hunting in most situations. Feel free to do it. Next time you are hunting and bump into some old guys with beat up wood stock rifles or shotguns, I will bet you they are not carrying a sidearm.

And yes, I have a CCP. I carry my CCW when I think I am going somewhere that warrants it.

·
NRA Life Member
13,699 Posts
If I'm hunting with a long gun I have no need for a handgun. If you can't defend yourself with a center-fire rifle or shotgun against any 2 or 4 legged threat your handgun isn't going to help either.

People fought entire wars using bolt action rifles and a shotgun stands on its own merits.

·
Bird Catcher
2,763 Posts
I grew up in the smallest county in Virginia, population wise. Lots of national forest and farm land. As a young hunter I remember a wacko hunting down hunters with his 44 magnum, killing two before being caught.

Around the same time frame on the county line, another wacko killed a couple of Appalachian trail hikers. Many years later he was released from prison, for some reason. He went straight back into the mountains and shot the first two people he found, two fishermen.

In the early 90's in a county close to me a fellow deer hunter was gut shot by another hunter as he sat in his tree stand. He fell to the ground and the shooter walks up, looks at him and says he's sorry, then walks off leaving him to die.

In 2004 a hunter shot eight other hunters, killing six because he was trespassing.

Don't carry, it's your choice. However my hunting firearm and my concealed carry are two different weapons. I can not drive down the road with my deer rifle or goose shotgun loaded and across my lap. I can't stop on my way home and run into a store while carrying my hunting weapon either. My shotgun has to be cased when pulling into a public boat ramp. There are lots of reasons to carry, at least in my book.

·
Registered
10,916 Posts

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
I was a rural State cop. I killed hundreds of injured game animals and farm animals during my 23 years on the road. A .22 works fine IF you can shoot them right in the ear canal angled towards the brain. Problem being many wounded or injured game animals will look at you face on , as you are a threat.
I've seen .38's and 9mms skid off the skull on deer and elk on frontal head shots.

A lot depends on WHAT you carry. Years back when I guided elk hunters I carried a Smith M-696 in .44 Spcl. With 255 gr Keith slugs over 8.0 of Unique I got about 950 fps. I could shoot a wounded elk in the neck or even a heart /lung shot and kill it handily. Good bullet diameter and good penetration makes a huge difference.

I would go heavy for caliber and less expansion versus fast/light and expanding.
:agree:

·
Ruggedly handsome
24,045 Posts
Unless I'm bow hunting, I'm hunting with a handgun including during the muzzloading season! In newyorkistan we can't be trusted to carry our cc weapon during bow season!

·
Banned
4,670 Posts
I carry a G20 with 200gr. Hardcast double tap

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.