sidearm

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by SouthTexasrep, Oct 16, 2005.

1. SouthTexasrep

SouthTexasrep

What do you carry in the field for a sidearm? If you had to pick between a .357 mag or .44 mag, whcih would you choose. Thanks

Jimmy

2. GlockSpeed31

GlockSpeed31

I carry a Glock 31 .357 auto (SIG) w/ Cor-Bon 135 gr. JHP while hunting.

3. Wet Dog

Wet Dog

Tough choice.

If I'm rifle hunting, probably the 357. 158g Hornady XTP/FP in a Ruger Blackhawk 6.5" barrel is my favorite hunting sidearm.

Close second would be a Ruger Super Blackhawk, and just about any 240g bullet I've tried. I'm more confident in the 44 at longer ranges but I limit myself to 50 yards with either with open sights.

4. mrwiggins

mrwiggins lookout ladies

i'm out hunting by myself alot, and i wanted a revolver for back up, and have been looking for a very long time for someing in .357 with a 4 inch barrel. I just got a s&w model 66-4 stainless today. can't wait to pack it through the woods. be sure to check local laws on carry while hunting.

5. CaliTheKid

CaliTheKid

I alternate between a Colt Anaconda 4" and a Glock 20 stoked with DT's 200 Gr FP's. Truth is I can put way more rounds on target much quicker with the G20 than with the .44 Mag which is important IMHO. Mainly it depends on where I am hunting-- some states no likey the semi-auto's when hunting and some have no restrictions. I feel equally secure with either.

If I had to choose between .357 and .44 I'd take the .44 just becasue I am more familier with it but I'd feel secure with either(ruling Alaska and other BIG bear areas out of the pic).

6. havensal

havensal Getting older every day! CLM

My G35 is on my hip whenever I venture into the woods. Make sure you check your regs. Here in NY you can only cary a sidearm that is legel to hunt with. Luckely (Thought compleatly obserd) I can legaly hunt with my Glock. ;g ;c

7. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I use my sidearm for coyotes, porcupines, and finishing deer/elk downed with my rifle (generally a .308). I've just been using a 9mm or .45 ACP for the last several years. They've worked all right, but I'm not getting the penetration I want.

I'll probably be packing one of my .357's next year. A .44 is just more power than I need and more weight than I really want to pack. I've been very impressed with the performance of Winchester 180 grain Partitions out of my S&W 681 and my model 19.

8. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 JABRONI

May I suggest something light and that won't get in the way of your intended purpose. Sounds like a Glock to me, any Glock will do.

9. 65Mustang

65Mustang Jr. Engineer

Springfield 1911 with Speer Golddots anytime I venture into the wilderness. ;)

I've been looking into a thigh rig for it so it doesn't get in the way of my rifle, which I carry with a safari sling in front of my body. When its on my hip about 3:30 onwards I notice the rifle stock hits my sidearm.

10. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

Well, I wouldn't feel undergunned with either, but if I had my choice of the two it would be the .44.

;g

;8 ;I