sick of being picked out...

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by cmoore2980, Feb 13, 2010.

1. cmoore2980

cmoore2980

do any of you have an issue blending in while not on duty?

I'm going into my 7th week of the local police academy and for the 2nd time in about a week I was accused of being a cop while out with friends. In the case of tonights incident I was simply waiting in line to order at a late night food stand. I wasn't wearing anything unusual (pink polo and khakis). Just standing there talking to a girl that I've known for a while. The guy behind me in line is trying to start a conversation with me, which
    I'm trying hard to avoid. After three or four attempts he blerts out "You're a cop aren't you?" I mean what am I doing wrong? Any ideas? How should I handle this in the future?

2. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Well, you COULD always ask them what makes them think you're a cop. That's what I do. Then I claim to be a firefighter. Everybody loves a firefighter, nobody likes a cop. Might as well take advantage of it.

3. cmoore2980

cmoore2980

true, but I rather just avoid the whole thing if possible

4. Gangrel

Gangrel

khaki slacks... or khaki tactical operator elite bd-td-ed-sdus?

5. greenman19

greenman19

stop talking in ten codes.

6. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Do you carry a gun that might print? Some super high tech folding ninja blade? Wear Ray Bans mirrored aviators and keep your hair high and tight with a pushbroom mustache?

The reason I tell you to ask them what makes them say that is that then you'll know what you're doing wrong, so to speak. Oh, and no fanny pack! They scream COP or KICK MY...!

7. Gangrel

Gangrel

oh god, if he's wearing a fanny pack...

8. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

You are doing something wrong. It is either what you say, what your wear, or how you talk.

I have never been called out as a cop off duty, unless the person actually recognized me.

9. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

If you are 7 weeks into an academy and you are having issues while out and about you had better stop going out and about. Everyone knows someone and I guarantee if you step on your crank someone will hear about it. If someone is paying you to succeed at the academy, your job is not go go to late night food runs with your friends, it is to be a cadet and STFU.

If you are putting yourself through, do whatever the hell you want.

To echo Narc, you are doing it wrong.

MF

10. pgg00

pgg00

A pink shirt?

11. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

Try having a regulation haircut in the mid to late 70's. You were labled a baby-killing G.I, a cop, or a homosexual. In any case, you were shunned.

12. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

I'm sure it was sold to him on the basis that the color was "salmon."

13. k9medic

k9medic

You might not even realize you are talking this way. It may not be ten codes, but rather just your conversation in general revolving around the academy.

Remember the difference between a rookie and a veteran officer: The rookie wants everybody to know he's a cop, the veteran doesn't want anybody to know.

14. pal2511

pal2511

Thats why I loved my longer than normal cop haircuts but I got tired of having to mess with my hair every morning so off it went.

Maybe relax a little more after work/school and NOT TALK ABOUT IT FOR GOD SAKES

15. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor Khem-Adam

Stop shaving on your days off. Shaving is a God forbidden horribly barbaric practice anyways, so don't if you don't have to. My last day as an officer(in another 15-20 years) will be the last time I ever shave. Let your hair grow out an inch. Dress like a regular Joe on the street. As others said, don't be wearing any uber-tactical-ninja gear. You're not a cop yet, so relax and stop trying to act like one outside the academy. Be respectful and polite outside the academy, but stay away from explaining the law to people and don't point out offenses you see.

I haven't had this problem since I was brand new. When I shaved every day and had either a shaved head or a bur cut, I got asked a few times. But I always had a quick come back ready that usually changed people's minds. Now I look about as far away from being a cop off-duty as possible.

If people are telling you that you're a cop, then you're telegraphing it.

16. 4949shooter

4949shooter

Well I'm gonna go against the grain here (just a bit).

I have been picked out as an LEO for the entire 21 years I have been on the job. I have nothing to hide (except for my off duty guns of course). Being an LEO is what I am. It's in my blood. I have been picked out by scummers in bars, people I have arrested while going to Home Depot with my wife and kid, and other cops while on vacation in other states.

You are what you are. Though I do think it may have something to do with your military bearing, haircut, and dress since you are in the academy. This recognition aspect will probabaly diminish some after you graduate the academy get into regular police work.

I am a member of an agency that is fairly militaristic, and the military type bearing has stayed with me over the years.

So I will say, "Welcome to the Club."

And watch your six. Always.

17. Officer X

Officer X

It's happened twice in a week and you're not even a cop yet, you're an academy recruit, get used to it.

I like what k9medic wrote about how the rookie wants everybody to know he's a cop while the veteran doesn't. I stopped wearing my "cop stuff" shirts, sweatshirts and jackets long ago and I try to blend in these days. If I get picked out, it's no big deal, as 4949 said, it's what I am. I've been picked out at Lowe's, at restaurants and bars. I've bumped into people I've dealt with at work. I've even been on cruises and other vacations and been picked out. It's funny how even on a cruise ship, the cops will find each other to hang out with.

I was even picked out by a aggresive panhandler in NYC years ago when I told him to get away from me, he asked me if I was a cop, cause I was "steppin' like a cop". You develop a way of carrying yourself and demeanor that many people, and especially the bad guys, can pick out. I find that I have to work to act "normal" when I'm out with friends.

Oh, and lose the pink shirt.....

18. JBaird22

JBaird22

I've only been picked out a few times and most of that is because I was recognized by sight not because I look a certain way.

When you do go regular police, just make sure you carry gun because if they suspect you are a cop, then you better be able to handle things like a cop.

19. gordo993

gordo993

I have been asked if I was a cop a couple of times. I'm not - I'm a fireman.

When I tell them I'm a fireman, the guys want to be your best friend and the girls' panties fall off...
    :wavey:

20. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Just ask, "Why do you ask?" Maybe they've been watching the "You've got cop hair" commercial.

Ignoring people trying to engage you in conversation might give them the idea you are a rude person, so they try insulting you by calling you a 'cop'.
    Why not talk to them and see what you can learn about them while revealing nothing about yourself. Works for me and I'm not even a cop.

Look him/her in the eye, reach for cell phone, look around and say excitedly, "Why, do you need one? I'll call 911 for you!!"

Last, you're not a cop yet, are you? My son wasn't until he graduated from the academy and raised his right hand. Just say, "No, not a cop."

:cool: