Sick Kitty.

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Bulldog, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Bulldog

Bulldog Millennium Member

One of my kitties, Cassie, is sick. Again. She's lethargic, not eating, not drinking, and has lost quite a bit of weight. She's also vomiting periodically (yellow bile, white foam - take yer pick), particularly when she's been disturbed from hiding under the bed, in the corner of my office, or anywhere else she's taking refuge.

Same thing happened with her when she was a kitten. They ran bloodwork, gave her fluid injections and a B12 shot, and sent her home with prescription food and some antibiotics. Two days later, she was back to her old self.

This time around, we took her to the vet, and they ran bloodwork and sent her home with prescription food. Almost a week later, there was no improvement, and she wouldin't go near the food.

Took her back in, got the fluid & B12 injections, more food, and some vitamin powder. Since the bloodwork didn't indicate she needed them, no antibiotics. The only number they saw as elevated was some liver enzyme, but they're not concerned with that since none of the other results would indicate any problems.

Well, the fluid and B12 seemed to perk her up for a day, but here we are almost another week later, and still no improvement. Doesn't want to touch the prescription food. "Force feed her" they say. Ha. She spits it right back out. That is, if I'm lucky enough to get it in her thrashing mouth in the first place. Tuna? Nope. Friskies canned food? Nope. Melted vanilla ice cream? That's the only thing she's been able to stomach the past two weeks, but I don't want to create more problems by giving her too much dairy.

So, the next step is to take her in for a feeding tube in the morning. Yay.

Anyone else out there with similar experiences?

[​IMG]

ETA: After eight years, I finally hit 1000 posts. What a crappy subject for the occasion.

2. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

First of all that is a beautiful cat.

I'm sorry that you both have to go through this. I've had similiar experiences when I was a kid living with my grandparents in Oregon. We had a lot of barn cats, and there would always be a few kittens that didn't make it every year. It tore me up when I was little.

3. Bulldog

4. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

here's a pic of my big guy..

[​IMG]

He's close to 10 years old now. He's been happy and healthy so far. I know the day is comming though, I try not to think about it.

Part of the beauty of animals, is that they live in the moment. We all could learn from that.

5. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Could kitty have eaten a house plant or onions? Time to change vets!:shocked:

6. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

That is a good idea also. I would get a second opinion before it's too late.

7. Bulldog

No plants or onions in the house.

I thought about the vet issue, but they've done blood tests twice with the same results, and their recommendations aren't really any different from what I've found through a lot of Googling. We'll see what they have to say when I take her in this morning.

8. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Good luck, I'll be pullin for you and Cassie.

9. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Kidney failure looks like the issues your baby is having!

10. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

any possible access to antifreeze?

11. Bulldog

That's the first thing that really entered my mind. Kitty stops eating, kitty stops drinking, kitty becomes dehydrated, kidneys start failing. That's definitely a topic I'll touch on. We've considered the fatty liver disease, as well, but she's not displaying any jaundice.

Negative. And as for other stuff, she never has been one to lick foreign materials she's not familiar with if it doesn't come in a Blue Bell container or fast food wrapper.

12. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

What food was she eating before she got sick? :sad:

13. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

What a pretty cat. I hope she gets better fast.

14. Bulldog

Innova. Same stuff she's eaten for the last three years. Maybe she's getting bored with it.

Took her in this morning and went over everything again. Reviewed both recent bloodwork results, took a couple x-rays which showed nothing abnormal... No enlarging of the liver. Asked about possible kidney issues, and he said there was nothing in the bloodwork that would indicate any kidney problems. As for her elevated liver enzymes, this could be either the cause of or the result of her not eating & drinking.

One thing he wanted to try was an injection of Valium. This suppossedly hyperstimulates their appetite for a brief period (ie: the cat wants to eat immediately after the injection and devours any food in front of it). Yeah, I thought it was weird, too, but he showed me the documentation on it.

Well, the Valium did seem to stimulate her interest in the food we had there, but she didn't eat any of it. So, I left her there for the feeding tube. They called this afternoon, said it's in and that's she's been fed. I go in tomorrow morning to pick her up get instructions on the new gadget. Hopefully, she'll start eating on her own soon.

15. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Oh the poor kitty :sad:

I was wondering if there was a chance she could have gotten some of the recalled food. I do not trust all retailers/companies/warehouses to have disposed of/destroyed the returned packages.

16. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

I would call around to some vets in your city and explain the situation and ask if any have experience with this. Since your kitty likes ice cream so much plain yogurt may work. I had a cat that had stomach problems for awhile and the vet told me to give him yogurt for a week. It really helped him out and then I changed his food and he got better and lived many years. Apparently the culture in the yogurt helps the stomach.

Find out which vet is the president of the veterinary association in your area. Contact him and ask him for advice on who to see and then get a second opinion.

That is one good looking cat.

I hope things get better soon.

17. goldenlight

goldenlight

As I long time hard core cat lover, you have my sympathy in this difficult situtation.

Sounds like you are doing everything POSSIBLE, and still having no real success.

I'd voe on a second opinion, as well.

Is there a University anywhere near you that teaches veterinary medicine? Often, they have the most advanced testing equipment, etc. Expensive, but could save that beautiful cat.

I do hope she improves SOON!!!!

Please keep us posted on this.

BTW: I was worried ALL day at work, because my 11 year old cat didn't inhale her breakfast, as she usually does. Just didn't seem interested, only ate half, and she's on a pretty strict diet, as she's overweight, and normally always hoping for more food. I left work early to check on her, and she was begging for food. I am sooo relieved!

Yes, our pets are a BIG part of our lives!!!

18. denfoote

denfoote MENACE

The recalled food thing was what I thought of too!!
    Take a sample of the food into the vet and have him test it!!!

19. Bulldog

Nah, Innova wasn't on the list. It's actually a quality food as opposed to the grocery store crap. Plus the other cat's appetite is healthy as can be.

20. Bulldog

We'll see how the feeding tube goes, first. Texas A&M is where most of the vets around here got their schooling. As for the second opinion, we've dealt with three different vets in the same office on this issue. I truly believe their doing their level best to get her better. Again, here's to hoping the feeding tube does the trick. Time will tell at this point.